LRR crashes within a minute of playing the tutorial: Windows 10

NOOB10111

So my friend and I have downloaded a disc image of LRR, added the D3DRM.dll file, and used dgvoodoo 2.53, and started running on compatability mode. Long story short, it runs beautifully. That is until you actually start playing any of the tutorials, whereupon it freezes a few seconds after starting, at least graphically. The game is still running perfectly fine in the background, the only problem is that everything you actually see freezes. I already know that the engine is a buggy piece of garbage, but I still love it all the same... kinda. :/

can someone please help us with this issue?

8 hours ago, NOOB10111 said:

I already know that the engine is a buggy piece of garbage

Great! We're on the same page.

Long story short, it runs beautifully. That is until you actually start playing any of the tutorials, whereupon it freezes a few seconds after starting, at least graphically.

As in, playing any tutorial level crashes the game? Ones from the New Game menu up top and also the ones from Training Missions?

A couple of odd cfg bits aside, the major difference between the tutorial levels and the main levels is that the tutorial levels have absurd amounts of scripting, and usually involve Chief coming down to talk to you... maybe that's the problem?

Does Rocky Horror (the last level, use -testlevels at the end of the Target box in your shortcut, which enables you to pick any level you like) work fine? When you teleport down 5 raiders, Chief should come and give you a message.

If you need a rundown of the tutorials I can write one up for you.

15 hours ago, aidenpons said:

Great! We're on the same page.

As in, playing any tutorial level crashes the game? Ones from the New Game menu up top and also the ones from Training Missions?

A couple of odd cfg bits aside, the major difference between the tutorial levels and the main levels is that the tutorial levels have absurd amounts of scripting, and usually involve Chief coming down to talk to you... maybe that's the problem?

Does Rocky Horror (the last level, use -testlevels at the end of the Target box in your shortcut, which enables you to pick any level you like) work fine? When you teleport down 5 raiders, Chief should come and give you a message.

If you need a rundown of the tutorials I can write one up for you.

Yeah it seems that way, my friend was the one running the repeated tests, I’m trying to get him to respond to you to give more feedback. 

Yes, both from new game and training missions. I just got home and had a look at the game. Apparently the first level is already unlocked, so I tried it and the exact same thing happened as the training missions, and yes, I believe the same thing happens on rocky horror. 

3 hours ago, NOOB10111 said:

Apparently the first level is already unlocked, so I tried it and the exact same thing happened as the training missions

Oh, so any mission crashes the game. That's much more problematic.

It's odd, because you're mentioning you're using dgVoodoo.... normally I'd complain about RGB Emulation causing these shenanigans. You're using dgVoodoo correctly, right?

Beyond that, my advice is either:

a) play around with all of dgVoodoo's config settings to see if anything will work nicely

b) blame the cracked copy

I'm afraid I can't help beyond that :(

4 hours ago, Cyrem said:

Here's something to try if you've got a Nvidia graphics card, replace dgVoodo 2.53 with the latest WIP50 version: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/dl-r247/

Since when was this a problem? :o Just trying to keep up with the latest news on running LRR on Win10.

1 hour ago, aidenpons said:

Since when was this a problem? :o

Since dgVoodoo v2.54 was released probably. v2.53 was the last version that worked properly without locking up at least on GTX 9x0 cards.

1 hour ago, NOOB10111 said:

What exactly is this anyway?

What is dgVoodoo? it's a graphics API wrapper for old games to make them compatible with newer systems. As for that file in particular, it's a work-in-progress version which has some fixes for LRR.

5 hours ago, aidenpons said:

As far as I understand it, "magic which allows you to run LRR on Win10." OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png

Seems legit, I’ll have to try it in my free time tomorrow. XD 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.