LEGO Cube - Android, iOS, and PC sandbox game

lol username

LEGO has an official press release about this, which various sites are already discussing - shows a trailer and release window (late 2018):

https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news-room/2018/september/lego-cube-tencent-2018/

... But there's much more to be found on Chinese news sites. Running them though Google Translate gives rough, but overall good enough results - it seems the game's Chinese name translates as LEGO Unlimited.

No word on if there's plans to release it outside of China, as far as I can tell.

http://news.17173.com/content/09192018/190440738.shtml

Contains some (low quality) gameplay footage, and other details:

The editor system is a major feature of "Lego: Unlimited". Tencent will build a co-creation platform that carries massive MOD resources around the game. Through this platform, players can use this editor to create their own games or maps even if they don't have code, and upload the works to the platform for sharing.

For MOD creators, Tencent will also provide a full range of mutual exclusion plans to help create a prosperous development of the ecology, including up to 20 million fund support, high-profit sharing incentives, and traffic support, technical assistance, and talent development. .

At the same time, "Lego: Unlimited" also supports multi-end play, support iOS, Android and PC platform synchronized play.

It is worth mentioning that Tencent will also join hands with the LEGO Group to build a healthy and green children's digital ecosystem, and hope to make Lego: Unlimited a sandbox game with enthusiasm, creativity, inspiration, entertainment and education. To this end, Tencent will launch the first child protection exclusive server in China for Lego: Unlimited, and access the growth guarding platform to allow children to entertain and educate the children while they are in the game. The play situation in the middle.

In terms of education, "Lego: Unlimited" will also join hands with Tencent's functional games to create fun educational content based on sandboxed receipts, including the creation of exclusive educational MODs, and in the future will launch the "Lego: Unlimited" learning version, to the maximum extent. The educational value of playing the game.

In the future, Tencent hopes to unite more partners to improve the children's digital ecosystem of LEGO: Unlimited.

"Lego: Unlimited" will be officially launched at the end of 2018, so stay tuned.

https://www.gamersky.com/news/201809/1102213.shtml

This article has several pages of screenshots (or, rather, photos of a mobile device running the game). Note the screenshots showing what appears to be a crafting system, weapons/tools that have meters implying they degrade and break, and the player holding blocks consisting of a 2x2 plate + brick + plate. It seems the terrain is made of these 2x2 cube-ish assemblies, and even appears to have ore that can be mined, and trees that can be chopped down - altogether very Minecraft-esque. There's also a very LEGO Worlds style building tool.

According to the introduction, "Lego Unlimited" is a 3D platform sandbox game, this will be synchronized to the iOS / Android / PC platform. In addition to exploration, battle, creation and other gameplay, the official also provides a special level editing tool.

https://www.taptap.com/app/82246

Some more promotional images, and again mentioning the iOS/Android/PC platforms.

http://games.sina.com.cn/t/n/2018-09-19/fxeuwwr6126206.shtml

This article mentions "Players can now make reservations through the official website."

http://www.sohu.com/a/254860271_116903

More promotional images, details:

"Lego Unlimited" also has a powerful editor built in, supporting a wide variety of triggers, allowing players to create rich gameplay with simple click-to-action. " Lego® Unlimited" will create a one-stop creation platform for players to download, learn, produce and share," said Shen Li. "This platform allows creators to fully communicate and present their creative content. ”

The powerful editorial features provide a free creative environment for quality ideas. In order to build a benign UGC ecosystem, Liu Ming, vice president of Tencent Games, announced the official launch of the creator recruitment, and introduced the “creation + plan” – from fund support, incentives, traffic support, technical assistance, and talent development. Five aspects support the creators. In the plan, “ Lego® Unlimited” will invest 20 million special support funds to provide a high percentage of reward creators. At the same time, relying on the Tencent platform, joint QQ, WeChat, Penguin E-sports, Tencent video, Tencent love, Tencent animation, application treasure, Bodong, player creation alliance, QQ browser and other partners to create a customized traffic matrix. In addition, the official will build a ladder-based creator training system that focuses on the growth of each creator. Through this program, the team hopes to further enhance the Lego® digital game interactive experience and give the vast majority of 'creators' a creative world that can be truly experienced and played, and share their ideas with everyone through this platform. ”

At the same time, " Lego® Unlimited" is the first dedicated server for child protection in China, equipped with a professional manual review team and an independent and strict child social system to establish a secure network environment. In addition, the game will build a child-specific mod, through the simulation of scene reduction, case teaching, checkpoints and other methods, in the game to subtly carry out child safety online education.

At the launch of the new product, "Lego® Unlimited" is expected to be launched by the end of 2018.

https://www.prnasia.com/story/223299-1.shtml

Not much in this article, but here it is anyway.

And finally, the game's official website:

https://lgwx.qq.com/index_p.shtml

For a very brief moment there I thought I saw the words "LEGO Universe", but it was just "LEGO Unlimited". ?

This definitely sounds interesting. I am curious to see more in-depth info about it. I don't want to get my hopes up, but the concept sounds like something that could be very good. I also don't want to get my hopes up because it could end up being China-exclusive for whatever reason. But I see a whole lot of potential here.

I was wondering when Tencent would show up!

.... while I'd like my expectations to be higher, I suspect this will go the same way as Lego Portal Racers. "What Lego Portal Racers," some of you might ask? Exactly.

And I do have to wonder why, judging by that press release, it might as well be Lego Worlds Mobile Edition.

Edited by aidenpons

@aidenpons Not sure if you have already seen this, but apparently LEGO Portal Racers was originally supposed to be a LEGO Fusion game, and presumably due to the Funcom to TT developer swap and/or the death of LEGO Fusion, it ended up being recycled into the weird Intel RealSense demo that it became. I guess that sort of explains the weird way that game was handled?

https://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/7567-fish-adventure-and-brickizens/?tab=comments#comment-128027

And yeah, this does feel a bit like a mobile-friendly version of LEGO Worlds, albeit apparently closer to the survival/progression aspect of Minecraft with things like crafting and mining. If there is one thing that LEGO should do, it is a sandbox game with more survival elements. LEGO Worlds is a sandbox, but it feels like creative mode in Minecraft for the most part. LEGO Universe had some elements of a survival game, as well as some sort of sandbox in the form of properties, but while it was certainly open-world, I would not consider it sandbox.

This portion in particular is really interesting to me:

7 hours ago, jamesster said:

"Lego Unlimited" also has a powerful editor built in, supporting a wide variety of triggers, allowing players to create rich gameplay with simple click-to-action. " Lego® Unlimited" will create a one-stop creation platform for players to download, learn, produce and share," said Shen Li. "This platform allows creators to fully communicate and present their creative content. ”

The closest things I can think of to this in existing LEGO games are the level creators in some of the TT games and the behaviors in Universe properties. The way it is described could be mostly just marketing hype, but I hope it turns out to be something like a fusion of the aforementioned features of past games. I always like it when a LEGO game contains some form of LEGO building/creativity that isn't just character customization (which exists in a lot of non-LEGO games anyway). It feels weird to me that really old games like Island and Racers have more actual building customization than a lot of the TT games. Standing near a pile of bricks and holding a button on your controller to make them turn into a predetermined model is not building.

So, like Quest and Collect, it seems this thing has already had a few tests that went under our radar due to the language barrier thing:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tencent+cube

I found an APK of one of the test versions, from June... It runs on Unity 4.6.3.f1. That version of Unity is from February 2015. Poking at this game is going to be *ridiculously* easy. Haven't tried playing it; I assume it probably requires an internet connection or something which would kick me out since the test is over - but again, haven't tried.

• Like 1

Because it doesn't seem to have been mentioned here yet, I'll bring up that in order to get an account, users need to provide their full Chinese name, full Chinese ID number, picture of their Chinese ID card and holding said card, AND Chinese mobile phone number - all of which can be verified.

That means unless we see a release outside China, there's little/no likelyhood to play on the official servers. Theoretically shouldn't be hard to emulate assuming we can dig into the DLLs properly, but that's somewhat left to be seen (the DLLs in the APK are not immediately accessible to ILSpy or whatnot).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.