The impossible track

kbios

This track is called impossible not because you cannot complete it (it's actually very doable) but because it's not possible to make it in the in-game editor. It relies on quirks in how the game engine works to offer a unique experience ;) try it!

Download

Prerequisites

IMPORTANT NOTES

- Due to how stunt rally works, before loading this track in either racing mode or construction mode you'll need to load each track in the "prerequisites" zip. You need to do this every time you open the game.

- You can open this track in the editor, but if you'll save it you'll damage it.

6 hours ago, kbios said:

- Due to how stunt rally works, before loading this track in either racing mode or construction mode you'll need to load a track (any will do) for EVERY ambiance (city, desert etc), so 4 total. You need to do this every time you open the game.

Can't seem to get it to work, even after doing this - I'm on version 0.3.7.7 of the game, if that matters (the version from the DVD release with the bonus videos and such).

Even after loading a track from every biome the game still crashes. I'm just using normal Stunt Rally?

Edited by aidenpons

9 hours ago, aidenpons said:

Even after loading a track from every biome the game still crashes. I'm just using normal Stunt Rally?

Well, there's more than one version of "normal" Stunt Rally:

And that topic doesn't even cover version 0.3.7.7 from the DVD release (which I'm using at the moment) since its existence wasn't known of yet.

Going by this topic, it looks like kbios is probably using the earliest known version, 0.3.5.1. I wouldn't be surprised if they optimized/changed how the game loads things in later versions, making it truly an impossible track, haha. Well, more reason to make me want to hunt down a copy of 0.3.5.1 I guess.

10 hours ago, jamesster said:

Can't seem to get it to work, even after doing this - I'm on version 0.3.7.7 of the game, if that matters (the version from the DVD release with the bonus videos and such).

10 hours ago, aidenpons said:

38 minutes ago, jamesster said:

Well, there's more than one version of "normal" Stunt Rally:

And that topic doesn't even cover version 0.3.7.7 from the DVD release (which I'm using at the moment) since its existence wasn't known of yet.

Going by this topic, it looks like kbios is probably using the earliest known version, 0.3.5.1. I wouldn't be surprised if they optimized/changed how the game loads things in later versions, making it truly an impossible track, haha. Well, more reason to make me want to hunt down a copy of 0.3.5.1 I guess.

Thank you both for the report :) So it turns out it does matter which specific tracks you load before the impossible one, I've been able to reproduce the crash by loading the "bad" ones. I've added to the first post a link to a pack of 4 tracks which work for me, try them and tell me how it goes :)

jamesster, I have both version 0.3.5.1 (in english) and 0.3.7.7 (in italian) of the game, although my 0.3.7.7 is not as cool as yours haha it's a simple CD

Ah, yep, worked perfectly! Very cool track, cool to see a mashup like that, but also pretty fun to play, got some tricky traps in there, haha.

56 minutes ago, kbios said:

jamesster, I have both version 0.3.5.1 (in english) and 0.3.7.7 (in italian) of the game, although my 0.3.7.7 is not as cool as yours haha it's a simple CD

Interesting! That's the first time someone's reported having a CD copy of 0.3.7.7 as far as I know.

Basically I have reverse engineered the trk file format, I've created the track in an hex editor haha

It would be cool to create an external editor to make these kind of tracks, that's a big pile of work though

TheBillionTonBrick

An external track editor would be a pretty fun tool. It would also be cool if you figured out a way to extract and repack all of those .mdf or .bin or .dat files floating around in Stunt Rally's resource files.

Maybe they could all be in a single modding tool program for SR.

• 5 months later...

I'm quite impressed. I've been working with the track format myself, but I haven't stumbled upon this quirk before. Do you mind explaining how exactly you pulled it off? I've been working on some stuff of my own, and I've successfully generated a completely new track file from my knowledge of the file structure, and I'll be making a post about that in just a moment. It would be quite helpful to understand how this works to get a better understanding of exactly how the game loads tracks.

Hey, thanks for trying it out!

So as you know every track piece (as every other asset in the game) has an ID, which is globally unique (ie city straight and ice straight are different). You can see the IDs with the RTB viewer included in my StuntRally Suite. Each track piece is loaded lazily by the game the first time you load a track containing it, and will remain loaded as long as the game stays open. But there is a catch: the game only loads a piece if the ambiance of the type matches the ambiance of the track. That's why there are prerequisite tracks for the impossible one: they contain each possible piece so that the game has everything already loaded.

As for the part of the track which is 4-floors high, well maximum height is only checked in the editor and not in race mode. However, for most pieces everything over 3-floors high is considered 3-floors high, so it triggers the "heights don't match" check (which is sadly present also in race mode). This limits what can be done with extra-high sections.

If you need anything else just tell me :)

• Thanks 1

I think I understand now, thank you very much! This will help in advancing my knowledge of the file format.

D2uk3hw.png

EDIT: Hey, do you think you could go check out the Google Doc in my post and see if you have anything to expand on with it?

Edited by Yellowberry
Fix image.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.