Better late than never

Luxaritas

Heya, so, intro.

I'm a CS student, web/software developer, musician (French horn/piano)/composer (at least attempting), and of course fan of digital LEGO content.

I was brought up with a LEGO collection thanks to my brother, but what kept up my interest was the digital side. I've always been a fan of the Flash games (as well as TT SW, which was played on a friends PS2 yeeeears ago until I finally bought it on Steam recently), and wound up joining the LMBs in 2011, and was a regular there for a few years (including working with a couple fan games there which inevitably died). I've been mostly on the sideline/lurking side of the greater fan community mainly due to the typical parental limitation shtuff, but have always been fascinated with fan-created games and such, which wound up getting me interested in software, 3d modelling, etc etc.

After obsessing over projects like Project BUILD which I totally wanted to join but had neither the skill nor allowance to join, a few years ago I wound up getting involved in the LEGO Universe server scene (again, in kinda weird edge ways), but wound up involved with the core group of developers, developing an experimental server called PyLUS, along with moderating LUCH and doing the initial work for the LUSP website. I've also been doing some work on a server for LMO (and eventually a proper asset extractor modified from the existing ones), and most recently being one of the leads for the MLN revival project @lcdr has recently talked about. Also, I do some copyediting and composition for the LUTAS and Our Universe LU fan animation projects.

Oh yeah, and I have a nack for 1) organizing projects, usually occasionally overstructuring/overorganizing, and 2) obsessing over the potential of past, present, and future projects to do great things (winds up being related to point 1), and in particular in relation to this community, the potential of the LEGO brand (especially in a digital context) as a medium for creative ventures, collaboration, (global) communication, cultural experience, experiential education in technology an the arts, and so forth, both in terms of outreach for kids and lifelong expansion of one's horizons. Yes, there's a Twitter rant. Yes, I'm one of those crazy dreamer/"why do you keep spouting long text walls of near nonsense" type of people if you didn't catch that already.

Soooo, TL;DR, I love software, RE, and digital LEGO creative endeavors as a whole. I totally should've joined here sooner, but here I am now, and perhaps will get more involved with some other stuff around here.

Hello new friends if I haven't scared you away yet, and feel free to bug me about things :)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Knightoffaith said:

and wound up joining the LMBs in 2011, and was a regular there for a few years (including working with a couple fan games there which inevitably died)

How did people even organize those things there??

But ye, hello, welcome.

Just now, jamesster said:

How did people even organize those things there??

Uhm, basically a massive forum topic of ideas (I may or may not have archived those...) along with a few gallery posts with graphics ideas and stuff we needed to be editable shoved in the galleries.

I may or may not have caused the projects to stall/die by pushing hard to find/get someone to provide an environment as "safe as the LMBs", again partially due to parental oversight (though to be honest, we were all probably only like 13 or so, so... we know how those things tend to go anyways).

Just so you know, you misspelled https://lusprojects.github.io/ in the link in your post.

But anyway, hello! I have no idea if you would remember me, but I am SuperGeniusCreator from the LEGO Message Boards. I remember that place rather fondly. I moved on to other sites like BZPower and this place a couple years before it closed, but it was still sad to see it go away.

Thanks for working on that website. You know, I really only knew about DLU and lcdr Universe. I had no idea there were so many other LU server emulator projects! That is pretty cool.

Also, I like Frodo.

On 9/1/2018 at 4:14 PM, Knightoffaith said:

I've always been a fan of the Flash games... and wound up joining the LMBs in 2011, and was a regular there for a few years... I've been mostly on the sideline/lurking side of the greater fan community mainly due to the typical parental limitation shtuff...

Oh yeah, and I have a nack for 1) organizing projects, usually occasionally overstructuring/overorganizing, and 2) obsessing over the potential of past, present, and future projects to do great things (winds up being related to point 1)... I'm one of those ..."why do you keep spouting long text walls of near nonsense" type of people if you didn't catch that already.

Sounds like you should get on with me just fine then OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.pngHowever I can't draw for peanuts, either with a pencil or with a mouse, so I tend to focus on other bits of modification. Writing up random map scripts in Notepad++ for AOE2. Poking Lego.cfg repeatedly with Notepad++. Writing batch scripts (in Notepad++) to allow my mods (made in Notepad++) in War of the Ring to be automatically compiled, backed up, and then launch the game. (Fun fact: to add a new text entry, like a subtitle for a unit, in that game you will have to wade through three different file formats and four different files >_>) Writing up absurdly long NPLs (essentially objective and things-that-happen-midway-through-a-level (eg monster and slug spam) scripts for Lego Rock Raiders) now that I actually now how to use them properly (although this I don't do in Notepad++ OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png).

I was aidenpons over on the LMBs and spent nearly all of my time there browsing Quotes to End The Lord of the Rings and Quotes to End The Hobbit, my favourite of which I will derail this thread with as follows:

Theoden: How long do you need?

Aragorn: As long as you can Gimli!

Back on topic again, welcome to RRU!

EDIT: back off topic again, I can't remember I missed this

On 9/2/2018 at 4:15 AM, SuperGeniusCreator said:

Also, I like Frodo.

How's yours?

8 hours ago, aidenpons said:

EDIT: back off topic again, I can't remember I missed this

On 9/1/2018 at 11:15 AM, SuperGeniusCreator said:

Also, I like Frodo.

How's yours? 

I was hoping someone would catch that. ;P My Frodo is fine, thank you very much.

5 hours ago, SuperGeniusCreator said:

I was hoping someone would catch that. ;P My Frodo is fine, thank you very much.

I'd say I intentionally ignored it, but I was half considering saying something as I glossed over it :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.