Favorite LEGO Game?

Guido

Oof, you ask a hard question...

My top favourite would have to be Lego Racers 1, simply because it's stable (unlike LRR), lots of things to do in single-player, and a very fun two-player mode.

However LRR is up there as well for a "casual RTS" of sorts (what even is this type of game called?), as well as Lego Star Wars 2 (while I don't actually have a copy, I have played it with several friends - and also in my orthodontist's waiting room! I do have LSW1, and that was great fun!) for an extremely fun 2-player mode. LR falls down a bit here because I am much better at LR than any of my friends are OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png however it is very fun to, instead of winning, just try and shoot the other player with as many cannonballs as possible OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png

Shockingly high up on the list is CrystAlienConflict, that Flash game for Mars Mission (which is still playable off BioMediaProject), simply because it's a Lego RTS and we need more of those. Please.

Barnacle Bonkle Bionicle Heroes is also quite a nice game, but the canister collection is annoying due to all requiring Vezon to beat the game (there's no way you can collect all canisters on a first run, something I find annoying), and it's not quite up my street as much as LRR does. BH becomes a lot more fun if you never buy any armor / weapon upgrades, and force yourself to not exploit regenerating masks. Now it actually becomes a (slightly) difficult game. Under this setup, the Vezon fight in Thok's Grotto is literally impossible OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.pngbecause you have no room to move about. And it doesn't help that the regenerating masks are Nuparu and Hewkii... the two worst characters for hitting Vezon (Hewkii is the worst). Winnable, but you have to abuse the masks that keep popping up.

Alpha Team fails to make the cut because of the level design - there's really only one way to skin a cat in most levels - and also the annoying "oh, if you moved it one stud to the right you'd have won" as well as a slow UI (there's no way to insta-run tests and you have to wait through the "You lose!" animation unless in Puzzle Editor mode).

Much lower down on my list are LR2 and Stunt Rally - both games I completed, but didn't really enjoy the completion of them. SR has a nice level editor which I have done fun things with. One below this is Drome Racers, the only Lego game I have that works flawlessly (= not Legoland) but have not completed and have absolutely no intention of doing so OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png. I also have a copy of Soccer Mania but have never installed it.

(You can't ask a question like this and not expect a wall of text from me OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

My top favourite would have to be Lego Racers 1, simply because it's stable (unlike LRR), lots of things to do in single-player, and a very fun two-player mode.

Agreed 100% ? though I have to disagree with LR2. Don't get me wrong, its racing is repetitive, the build mode is very limited and it lacks challenge compare to the original but what really sells me is the car damage system which is hilarious and fun to take down an opponent or two if you're bored. 

2 hours ago, aidenpons said:

(You can't ask a question like this and not expect a wall of text from me OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png)

I enjoyed reading why you liked them! I remember a few of those flash games from way back in the day. Totally forgot about them! 

Probably my most favorite LEGO game would be the first LEGO Island, because that was my first LEGO game to ever play, and I get a lot of nostalgia when I see anything LEGO Island related. The game did not age well, so it is hard to go back and play, plus it is hard to make it work on modern systems.

LEGO Worlds is a close number one. It was a dream come true for me. I really enjoy playing that when I have the time.

LEGO Soccer Mania is second as I really enjoyed the creativity, wackiness, and soundtrack from that game. Plus it easily works on modern computers, and still fun to play. I highly recommend trying it out. There is also a PlayStation 2 copy of the game that is identical to the PC version as well.

The next one on my list that is probably tied for third, is LR1 and Rock Raiders. I played the heck out of those when they first came out for the PC. In fact that is how I found out about this site was when I was trying to figure out how to get Rock Raiders to work on a modern computer. ?

Stunt Rally was fun because of the levels that you could design, and I played that one a lot as well, but it felt kind of cheap compared to the others, although I did enjoy it.

I enjoyed LAT, but I agree with what you said. LR2 was cool too, but I actually didn't play it for very long to get into it. I think the destruction mechanic bothered me, hahaha. 

I can say LEGO Creator from 1999 (I think) was my least favorite. I think the concept of the game was a good idea but way ahead of its time. I always had trouble building things in it as it wasn't that fluid for me, and was pretty slow I thought. Maybe it was my PC way back then.

This is a tough question! Thanks for your response!

MUCINEXSWEEP

Gaming is subjective right? Sure!
my favorite LEGO game is a close tie between LSW1 and Island 1. While LSW1 is mostly due to nostagic reasons since it was my first LEGO game (fun fact: most of my knowledge of prequel movies comes from that game, I hold no shame

while the game can get repetitive due to how stale the gameplay can be at times, it's still a decent experience to this day besides how TT decided to bastardize themselves into making LSW-esc games nowadays lmao
Island 1? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOY, where do I start...
It's a wacky ride 

The sheer amount of charm and humor in that game couldn't be possible with Mr Jenkins. The models surprisingly hold up and the characters are memorable for being overall quirky and very easy to glitch, especially the Infomaniac. The best moment in my playthroughs of Island 1 is using its debug mode to fool around with the characters and locations to create oddly hilarious stuff like moving buildings around and making minfigures float in the air while doing their animations haha 
though while the other titles in the series couldn't capture the magic of the first game, some of them are enjoyable like IXS and the GBC port of Island 2 I completed that game 32 times. Again, I hold no shame.

I wish TT or the next potential developer would look into how Island 1 and its charming setting sold millions of copies and try to at least evolve on the idea, but eh... Who knows

• Like 1

I'd say LR1, because it's the most consistently fun. You can just open it, run a track. The physics are neat (who needs realism?) and it's just a good time.

My favorite game, conceptually, is LRR. It has some issues that make it a bit less amazing than it could be, but it is undoubtedly the most interesting game released by TLG, if you ask me.

Throw in LEGO Indiana Jones 2, because I friggin love that game. The open-worlds are simple enough that it's not running through seemingly endless hills (*cough*LoTR*cough*) or confusing corridors (*cough*Harry Potter*cough*) and it's just one of the better Tt games, if you ask me. Later games had dialogue, and the LEGO Batman 2 story was pretty fun, but LI2 has a lot of nostalgic appeal to me.

The LEGO Island series in general will always hold a special place in my heart that no other LEGO game will. There's so much nostalgia, the characters are great, the music is always superb, and there are so many fond memories associated with them. They're definitely not my favorite games, though, simply on the grounds that the gameplay is antiquated (LI) kinda weird (LI2) or awesome but with some buggy weirdness (IXS).

• 2 weeks later...

Has to be LI1. It is literaly the first video game I remember and oh man do I love the whole package of whacky animation, classic LEGO aesthetic, crazy music, and weird sense of mystery. I keep returning to it through the years, and always have a blast. I even created several LEGO Radio playlists for when uni gets me down (LEGO Radio segments + OST + whatever else I feel like if anything, currently classic bionicle themes from MNOLG and co). Nice mix of being not distracting so I can work and uplifting nostalgia.

Other games that are significant for me are LI2, because of my personal history with it, and LRR. I played LI2 pretty young and got stuck on the fishing minigame because I just didn't get it. A few years later (still young, but on my own proper laptop for the first time) I tried again and made it. On the plane bit I got stuck again, but persevered. Even though LI2 is a pretty easy game, finally after years (roughly a third of my life-span at the time!) playing through it was a gratifying achievement. LRR is a similar story, only I just finished it a few months ago after being stuck on the level before the final one for my entire childhood. Seeing the final level and cutscene after all this time was a special moment for me, one that I have this forum to thank for.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Deathrain said:

On the plane bit I got stuck again, but persevered.

Fun fact: if you want to win the plane bit on Win10 you must collect every fuel can, and then in the last stretch just bang against the side wall - while the "plane spins and returns to center" animation is playing no fuel is drained OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png

LRR is a similar story, only I just finished it a few months ago after being stuck on the level before the final one for my entire childhood. Seeing the final level and cutscene after all this time was a special moment for me, one that I have this forum to thank for.

Back to Basics is probably the hardest level in the entire game, although Lake of Fire is also fiendishly difficult. (Water Works is difficult for all the wrong reasons OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png) However Lake of Fire doesn't unlock anything and Back to Basics unlocks the final level. The main strats for Back to Basics are:

1) Ignore the south and solely mine to the right. There are enough - in fact, more - crystals over to the right, and they're easier to get.

2) To avoid the slug script, spam Small Mobile Laser Cutters to keep your crystal count down, as the number of slugs is tied to the number of crystals. Then spamteleport them up and hope you get 45 before you drain them.

3) Teleport up the Tool Store, which prevents crystals from draining

4) Wall off slug holes like so and abuse the terrible slug AI

Rocky Horror, by comparison, is absurdly easy. I'd class Frozen Frenzy as more difficult than Rocky Horror due to a) the early Ice Monster and b) the caverns stuffed full of landslides.

Seeing the final level and cutscene after all this time

You could have fished outro1.avi out of the AVI folder, but that's not the same... OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png Fun fact: there's another video that plays (outro2.avi) when you complete Rocky Horror with a score of 100 on every level, but this is entirely impossible in vanilla due to Run the Gauntlet requiring 40 crystals for max score OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png

I only got LI2 much later so it was straightforward, but still fun, for me to complete.

• Like 1

@aidenpons Fascinating, that is not at all how I beat that level! I went to the southwest where the little lake with all the crystals you need is. I then sent over a scout to clean that island up and teleported the starting building there so the crystals could be collected. Whenever slugs came out, I just cut the power until they left. Worked very reliably!

I'm can't choose one, I love them all, but some took special place in my childhood. First is Lego Star Wars: The Video Game. As fan of Lego and Star Wars I couldn't miss this game. Sometimes I played with my older sister, and sometimes she helped pass some levels like Gunship Cavalry and Battle of Coruscant :) . Second is Lego Racers 1 and 2. Good tracks, awesome design, excellent music and characters looks great (Basil and Johnny Thunder my favourites). Oh, almost forgot, in LR2 boss level in Arctic gave me so much pain. This stupid Golem always started before you, this make me angry everytime :rf: . Third is Lego Island 1, just nice game for kids. It always keeps me in good mood while I playing it. Memorable characters and kind humor - that's how I can describe LI1. I liked to listen music from that speaker near pizzeria :nick:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, probably Lego Island 2 or xtreme stunts. Not that xtreme stunts is anything like Li2, but those were the games I used to play for so long when I was a child so they have a nostalgic aspect I guess. But Lego Island 2 has by far the best plot line imo and is a perfect game (Without the loading screens ofcourse...)

• 3 weeks later...

Island 2 and xtreme stunts are high up there for me too, for the same reasons - but I think I'd say I prefer xtreme stunts, just because of how much more open it is, and the skateboarding feels much better too imo, it feels slow in Island 2.

As for the racers, LR1 is actually my least favourite. Maybe because I played it after LR2? I actually found it really easy in comparison to LR2, but maybe that was because I beat LR2 on a machine that could run it at approximately 10fps (if that lmao) at age... 8? 9? ish. Took me AGES to beat RR at the end of LR2, the fps was so bad that it became a matter of getting 3 of the earthquake power-ups in a row, so I could knock RR out of his vehicle.

Drome Racers was really different to both of those, and was more like an "actual" racing game than a Lego racing game, but I still 100%'d it. That was easily the hardest of the three for me.

The original Lego Island, again I played after Island 2 and xtreme stunts, so although I beat it a few times I don't really like it that much. I can see how it would have been great when it first released, but unfortunately I wasn't alive at that point.

Football (soccer) mania was kinda entertaining, I beat it (of course I did), but haven't revisited it much. It's too easy imo, it's mostly a matter of passing around opponents until you get a clean shot, I was winning games by a pretty large margin without much difficulty for the most part.

As for LRR, I loved that game, but I'm not sure how I feel about it now. At the time I really liked it, although I gave up partway through as it both got more difficult and more frustrating as I essentially had a time limit on each level due to the fact that the game would crash regularly. I remember beating frozen frenzy, though, that was exhilerating as it took me a while.

I revisited LRR on a VM this year, actually, but I got bored after the first two levels just because it took so long and I could not be bothered to be bored for that long to get to the harder stuff.

Stunt Rally, though, was my life as a kid. For several years, I didn't own the game, but borrowed it from my local library which had it, every holiday. I remember spending as much time as I was allowed designing levels, then forcing my family to play them x)

Overall, I'd say my top 4 goes like this, based on how much I'd still want to play them today:

Island Xtreme stunts (Open-world)

Island 2 (Story, variety, though felt a bit slow to me at times)

Stunt rally (level creation)

Lego racers 2 (Nostalgia, and really like the exploration mode where you drive around freely and look for golden bricks. It also feels a lot better at high fps)

I also "speedran" Xtreme stunts, Island 2 and stunt rally's championship mode. I use quotation marks, since I didn't even know speedrunning existed at this point, and just tried to beat them as fast as I could. After a few times, I was beating Island 2 in a few hours in a morning, glitchless.

I'd have to go with either LEGO Racers 2, LEGO Drome Racers, or LEGO Marvel Superheroes. I love the racing action of the first two and the open world hub of LEGO Marvel Superheroes.

• 1 month later...
groovy grover

well for me its a race between 2 games:

1. i really love lego "rock raiders" because of its astatics and well balanced gameplay.. (its a little to easy but it if we at its target audions, i think thats its really understandible)

its to bad they add the dynamite function witchs is in my eye's a shame,because it really kills the need to use certain buildings and vehicles, but besidesthat really good game!!

2. but i also really love lego "alpha team" because of its really original gameplay, i don't have anything like it, i mean its bassicly building a chain reaction and see what happends. (if             someone knows a other game with this same princeple, please let meknow, i really love to see it!! ;D)

combinedt with its really nice soundtrack and astatics, i also really love that one..

i also  like lego island 2, its not so great as rock raiders or alpha team, but really  a lot fun to play out on good sunday afternoon, also a great soundtrack, the only  thing what i don't like about it is its to clear that its made to promote and sell physical lego and not necessary to be a good game, but again it still verry likeble.

and in the i believe that all lego games in that era are primairy made to sell physical lego, verry ironic that in my opion they where a lot more exciting and fun to play, and that since the game them self are the primary sell goal they had become less intresting, but from a money make perspective i can really understand that this a more stable and handy way to make money out of there games..

PS: srry for my bad english, i'm from the nederlands and really bad at it, so srry if make this hard to read! ;) 

I think I feel the most strongly about LEGOLAND and LEGO Racers 2, but I can't split a hair between them. Special mention goes to Alpha Team, LOCO and Rock Raiders, which all have a special place in my heart too.

• 2 years later...
berry-pepper-roni

LEGO ISLAND 1 BABYYYYYYYY!!!!

the characters are iconic, the music is iconic, the voice acting is superb.

even if gameplay can seem boring at times, the racing minigame is where it gets real.

i mean, seriously

LEGO ISLAND 1 IS THE BEST!!!....and the only lego game i have on my PC XPP

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.