Disobedient Raiders

Example

So as I'm nearing the end of the game I've noticed a problem that's become more and more frequent regarding the rock raiders refusing to follow direct orders i.e if ordered to build a power path or support station they just stand there like dummies while their oxygen runs out. It's been a really long while but I don't remember this happening when I was playing the game on Windows XP. Does anyone else have this problem?

This is known as Idleness Syndrome, and it's a very common thing in some levels. We're not sure exactly what causes it, but one of the developers thinks it's a combination of pathfinding, ore/crystal management, and priorities. Some of the research we've done agrees with that. Consider using fewer raiders and use more transport trucks to pick up materials more quickly.

Something that also significantly helps is throwing a bunch of zeroes on the end of TextureUsage.

What's that, you ask?

1) Unpack LegoRR1.wad (and LegoRR0.wad, if you like) using this very convenient tool

2) Move all contents of the newly-created LegoRR1 folder inside the Data folder and then delete / rename / send it Far Far Away / burn it with lava / summon a landslide on it LegoRR1.wad

3) Open up Lego.cfg . If you want to get into modding it properly I can highly recommend Notepad++ on the grounds that a) it's free, b) allows side-by-side comparison of files, c) has lovely multiple-file-open support in the form of tabs, and d) paid editors don't offer anything really more. However, given all you're doing is this, you should be fine with just the default Notepad (if they haven't removed it from Win10 yet that is...).

4) Right up the top should be TextureUsage. Without touching any of the indents, just throw another two zeroes (or three zeros, but don't go overboard as we're still unsure what that number truly means) at the end of it.

5) Save, shut Notepad, and then run LegoRR.exe.

Essentially this tells the game that it can use more memory than the 32 MB it will hog by default. We're no longer running Win95 machines and can spare even gigabytes of RAM for LRROldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png

I already made a .cfg that disables videos... should also make a second one that throws zeroes on the end of TextureUsage.

Consider using fewer raiders and use more transport trucks to pick up materials more quickly.

Yes. You should have a couple of drilling vehicles, and then your remaining raider population should be split about half between STTs (with no cargo upgrade, it just causes silliness like dumping 6 ore on a 2-ore power path) and raiders on foot (necessary for slugging slugs and picking up studs, as well as actually doing the shovelling. Loader Dozers are cool if you have the crystals to burn on them - 4 crystals is not cheap!!).

Also, on veeeeery big maps once you've got all the ore you can eat disable shovelling in the Priorities - you really don't need any more ore. (Or edit the .ptl file such that no ore generates from rubble, that's cool, or break the game as shown here).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.