aidenpons

dgVoodoo causes lag only when healthbars are active

aidenpons

^

The game is fine every other time. Slug spam, big maps, twenty raiders.... basically no stutter at all. But visible healthbars cause quite a huge stutter.

I am using dgVoodoo 2.53, so that's not the problem. I haven't tinkered with the settings because I have metaphorically no clue what they do - they're just completely out of my zone of knowledge. Anything that would be particularly good to enable?

It's great that it works at all though :D

Arthuriel

I recently played Rock Raiders again and encountered the problem, too. I tried some options in dgvoodoo and it went away.
After that I tried to backtrack, if only one option was the solution and it was: activating "Fast video memory access" in the DirectX menu in dgvoodoo.
I hope, that it will help you and other people :). This was also the only RRU thread, that I have found so far, which described the same problem.

edit: The only thing I have to work out is, if that option causes more random game crashes (the game freezes in my case) or if I just played levels*, that are more prone to causing said crashes.

*like "Water Lot Of Fun" and "Rock Hard"

paperpanzer

I've had this problem as well, but only when I have a larger quantity of Raiders on my screen (15+). Any less and the lag isn't noticeable.