Is it possible to patch LRR to not require disk?

aidenpons

We have a patcher for LR2 that means you don't require the disk to run it, achieved by editing the executable - thus requiring an otherwise functional copy of LR2. The fix here is only a couple of bytes.

I know RRU's line on piracy has always been a no-go, and will not host a full executable, but is it possible to do something similar for LRR?

Could one take the code that is modified by SafeDisk and replace it with code from a diskless version? This would require a copy of LRR to function but still be a way of bypassing the disk check. Or is there some way to check that it is a valid LRR disk-full executable and then overwrite the entire thing?

In my mind, this wouldn't require the fantastic byte-hunting JrMasterModelBuilder did for LR2. It would just be a lumped replacement of half the executable's code, but it would still require the original disk-full executable to run.

Is this possible?

I'm currently revisiting the policy on this because of your above reason of not being able to play legit LRR on new systems and due to a coming mod of mine. Stay tuned.

• 7 months later...

Ahah! Found this topic again.

What's this? 8S

Uploaded by Oresome, which I think is a Cyrem alt for the purposes of file uploading and transfer and general stuff. And a link to it appears in @Cyrem's guide (first orange piece of text saying "Download"):

So I can't explain this by some confused RRUser who doesn't understand the legalities of such a thing.

Furthermore, doesn't this make it possible for someone to illegally download LRR? Take a look at Time Raiders, where the last installation had Cirevam simply packaging the entire Data folder; thus meaning that all you need to run LRR is to download Time Raiders and download the executable.

That's not original LRR, but it can be done: I know the original LegoRR1.wad is more or less hanging around on RRU (that was my upload, by the way: came in handy for various people whereby the cutscenes would crash the game). Sounds can be obtained from the language pack and aren't really integral to running the game (you can point your game to Silent.wav and it'll be like playing the game with speakers off). LegoRR0.wad can meanwhile be obtained from (again my upload) Monster's Revenge; while that has a (very heavily) modded Lego.cfg I left nearly all the original game files for LegoRR0: you only miss out on a couple of levels to my knowledge. You can probably re-extract those files from one of the remakes hanging around RRU, if you were prepared to try hard enough: thus giving you a complete copy of LRR.

Can I get some official stance on this, @Cyrem and @Cirevam?

(Disclaimer: I've already shoved a link to the executable in here elsewhere on RRU)

(Also disclaimer: I have not tested this, but will when I can).

EDIT: Wait, there's also an English language pack around...

Edited by aidenpons

1 hour ago, aidenpons said:

What's this? 8S

May I point you to the Community Rules? It was updated a month ago.

doesn't this make it possible for someone to illegally download LRR

You could spend the 2 seconds it takes typing in "Download LRR" and find a complete download on some pretty popular not-scary websites, or you can spend an hour scrounging around here trying to patch together a working game from bits and bobs of files. What’s more realistic? Did you know that the freely released LRR Japanese Demo is actually the full game?... With just some CFG edits to disable the campaign? With a simple resource mod, you could play the complete game DRM-free.

The fact is, those who own legitimate copies of LRR that aren't Masterpiece editions, can't play them. It is a hindrance to providing game support to would be players. They can quite easily go to other top ranking sites (like pcgamingwiki) to get the same exe and find support there. Thing is, a lot of this support originally came from here, but due to our previous policy we could not help them anymore, whereas other sites can and will do so.

RRU does not host full games, and we don't intend to. The essence of the rule is not supporting (that is, condoning, recommending, being a means to) piracy. While other sites offer the full game up for download along with some of our fixes (some actually bundle them) and in some instances our mods, we don't.  Also note that this exe is not modified to circumvent the DRM (like others), it's an official exe dated back to 1999. However, if LEGO were to contacted us for removal of content, we would comply. We provide solutions to problems, and when someone can't play the game because Microsoft dropped support of aged DRM... we provide that solution. We've tried to find a middle ground, that doesn't harm, but allows us to help people.

Does that answer your question?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cyrem said:

May I point you to the Community Rules? It was updated a month ago.

Ah! I didn't notice that change there.

3 hours ago, Cyrem said:

Does that answer your question?

It very much does, yes! Thank you for your reply. I apologise if my previous post came off as insolent, angry, or aggravated; I was merely confused. Thank you for clearing everything up! I think the solution you've got in place now is a good one!

I particularly like this bit:

The fact is, those who own legitimate copies of

LRR that aren't Masterpiece editions, can't play them... if LEGO were to contacted us for removal of content, we would comply.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.