Sound addons for Axel's Mod

paperpanzer

paperpanzer

I've been tinkering around with the sound files in many a game over the last few years- and since being able to finally run the game again in Windows 10 (Thanks to @Cyrem's DGVoodoo method), and @Cirevam for linking me to the LRR WAD Compiler tool, plus help from Cirevam and @Slimy Slug over in Axels' Mod topic regarding various bugfixes, I've been making sound changes/ additions alongside some other changes in the config file.

Now considering this is using Axel's Mod (and by extension Baz's mod, which is what Axel's mod uses itself as a base), I won't be uploading any WAD files as of now as they contain Axel's and Baz's work, but the following sound changes are my own material. FYI as of now I am still fine-tuning the sounds themselves to get the volume levels right.

These were created using Audacity.

What I have done-

Changed sounds of-

V1.2

Files now available as WADs for easy install.

reworked Lava sounds

new Mining Laser Sound

Edits to Axel's scripts for rockfall damage. At low levels raiders take quite a bit of shield damage, the further they are upgraded the less is taken- but remember damage is still cumulative! Taking time to upgrade your mining staff pays off.

Tunnel Transport has been allowed to carry the SMLC. (Experimental)

V1.1

Added Cargo carrier ramp sounds

Added propeller sound to cargo carrier engine

New Small Digger drill sound

Two more cave sounds

V1.0

Geological Center (New Sound)

Tool Store (Original LRR "building hum")

New sounds (building hum, the building 'active" sounds like the hopper on the Ore Refinery or the Teleporting down sounds were untouched)

Teleport Pad

Super Teleport

Docks

Support Station

Upgrade Station

Ore Refinery

Mining Laser

New unique engine sound for the Chrome Crusher (LMLC uses stock engine sound)

Re-tuned and lowered the volume of the Tunnel Transport (not shown)

New Action Stations! Alarm

New Cavern ambiance.

Unchanged-

Power Station

YT previews- 

V.1.2

Download the Mod

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nucca1pch9z2qpb/Paperpanzers_Sound_Addons.zip/file

Liking the new cavern ambience, sounds a whole lot better. The new building sounds are a good match and adds some nice variety of sound when hovering over your base. You should release it as a zip containing a directory tree so you can just overwrite the sound files for Axel's overhaul without touching anything else.

Nice work, look forward to the finished version.

• Like 1

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

I think better is an understatement when it comes to those cave drip sounds.  Fantastic job!

One piece of advice for handling things in the cfg: the ambient and drip SFX lines mute the first sound listed so you'll have to give it a dummy entry (or whatever).  

As far as I can tell this is a problem in the game's exe so unless a fix is found that's the workaround currently.

I should probably post the list of things that have this issue because it's not limited to hard-coded sounds for some reason.

The other thing to watch out for is the infamous drill sound bug.  I believe I found a fix for this but it requires completely redoing the links to the drill sounds and by completely removing the hard-coded drill sound lines.  I say I believe because there is always the chance I haven't actually fixed it considering the bug seems to happen randomly.

Either way, nice job on these sounds. 

Edited by Slimy Slug
typo
  • Like 1

paperpanzer

Thanks for the responses guys- tbh this is the first time I've attempted to share my work with the public for any game that I've modified. :thumbsup:

@Slimy Slug I wondered why one of the cavern dripping sounds wasn't playing- and why the "creaking sound" never played in-game. Both instances were fixed, thanks for the heads up (the "creaking" sound was by accident btw, I just simply copied the old file and renamed it when I started this whole project, should have been obvious lol)

As for the drill sound bug, you mean the sound not playing at all? I do know one of the limitations with LRR's sound engine is that it is only capable of playing one sound sample at a time (rockfall happens at the same time in two different ends of the level- only one has the sound play- or two or more vehicles of the same type causes one's engine sound to stop). That's one reason I added all the unique building sounds.

Will do! @Cyrem

Update-

Added new unique drilling sound for the Small Digger

Added a propeller sound effect to Axel's modded Cargo Carrier engine

Added a few new sounds to the Loader Dozer's shovel smack.

Added a couple more cavern sound effects (dirt and loose debris falling in the distance)

Only took a video of the Digger and Carrier, LD is kinda hard to hear.

At this point I'm pretty much happy with how everything has turned out.

• Like 3

paperpanzer

Okay, I'm not actually totally finished :P

As of now I have a bucket list of things I want to add in- whether they are technically possible or not is another matter-

(And that's not counting the continuous tweaks from here on out.)

1. Add a sound for the Cargo Carrier's ramp.

2. Add an energy "hum" to the Recharge Seam

3. Add unique sounds for each monster type. (I.e., Lava Monsters would sound like they did in the cut scenes, Ice Monsters would sound like cracking and stressing ice as they moved, etc.)

4. Add sounds for erosions

5. Add unique Biome sounds (Rock would be default, Ice would have more creaking and creaking sounds, Lava would sound like your near the base of a volcano.)

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

@paperpanzer You're welcome.  The drill sound bug is actually when it fails to stop playing upon the destruction of a wall.  

Another thing to be aware of: the SFX_Bodge line Karl added is actually not a thing in the exe and therefore can be removed safely.  The "drill sound when clapping" thing I honestly have no idea what he was talking about.  The only time I heard a drill sound was when Raiders would play saxophones, and that was because they were calling a non-existent sound effect (add a SND_Music line to fix this).

As for your bucket list:

1. That's very doable but you'll need to add the sound into the animations and call it in the cfg.  

2. I believe you'd have to do this by adding the sound to the sparkle animation much like no.1.

3. Possible but would take a while because each monster shares the sounds called in the cfg currently.  This means you'll have to edit the animations and point them to the new sound IDs.

4. Again, you'd have to do this through adding sounds to the erosion smoke animation.

5. Not possible.  Because ambient effects are hard-coded as-is, it would be impossible without hard-coding the respective biomes.  Why?  Because the game would have to be able to know which sets of sounds would play for what biome.  So, set Rocky Horror to lava for example means the game would have to know that the lava biome uses a specific set of sounds and to play only those.  If that makes sense at all.

Overall I like how this is turning out, especially those cave drips sounds.  Can't wait to steal use them in my own project.

• Like 1

paperpanzer

Figures some of those would have been impossible- many of us making overhauls/ emulation methods are already asking a lot out of the LRR engine. 8S

In terms of animation editing I have 0 experience- adding new sound tags in the cfg file for the buildings, vehicles, and cavern was one thing, but non-existent sound paths are another.

And if @Slimy Slug you or anyone else wants to use my sounds go right ahead- just credit me :)

Now all I need is for the DGVoodoo emulator and Axel's (and for that matter Baz's) mods to be 100% stable and I'm golden.

lol username
18 minutes ago, paperpanzer said:

In terms of animation editing I have 0 experience- adding new sound tags in the cfg file for the buildings, vehicles, and cavern was one thing, but non-existent sound paths are another.

The animations/scenes (LWS files) are text based, so in theory you could just do it with a text editor like Notepad++. I can't speak for how practical it may or may not be though, as I haven't done it myself.

• Like 1

paperpanzer

Right- I've decompiled LRR0.WAD (first time I've opened it to look at the contents).

Looking at the LWS files I don't know where to start on editing them. For point #1 on the bucket list I've found the files the LargeCat folder-

BC_Rampdown.lws

BC_Rampup.lws

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am assuming that these are the said files I would need to edit in order to start adding new sounds. the problem being I don't know where to start from here, looking at another file in the "SmallDigger" folder, LPSD_DrillAnim.lws for example hasn't revealed anything obvious, i.e., the tag in the Lego.cfg file, SFX_Drill for the small digger drill sound isn't in the LWS file. In fact, I can't find anything obvious in regards to "this animation file plays this sound when active" or something along those lines.

In other words- I'm useless and need a point in the next direction please. 8|

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

It's very practical and quite easy with just a text editor.

In fact, I actually demonstrated how to fix a problem with some sounds in one lws in another topic.

Now for actually adding sounds to a file, you can do this with any text editor of your choice:

AddNullObject SFX,SND_Explode1,40
ShowObject 9 7
ObjectMotion (unnamed)
  0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1
  0 0 0 0 0
EndBehavior 1
ShadowOptions 7

Sounds are simply nulls with the appropriate name.  You can practically copy/paste the code I gave into most animations and then change the name to whatever you want.

So for example: SFX,your_cfg_sound_ID_here,frame_that_sound_starts_at.

The reason you don't see the Small Digger animations call a drill sound directly is because it calls the sounds from its respective section under Stats {}.  Those lines being DrillSound and DrillFadeSound followed by the sound ID under Samples {}.  It's a bit complicated to keep track of sometimes.

Going back to what I said above, you'll have to play with the frame number until you get the sound to start at the right time.  

In the case of the BC_rampdown.lws, the animation starts on frame 0 and ends on frame 15.  I'd try something like this:

AddNullObject SFX,SND_RampDown,0
ShowObject 9 7
ObjectMotion (unnamed)
  0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1
  0 0 0 0 0
EndBehavior 1
ShadowOptions 7

Which tells the game to look for a sound in the cfg named SND_RampDown and should be played at the very start of the animation.

Where to put this in the animations?  I put mine above the AmbientColor line.

Hope this helps you out, if you need me to clarify anything let me know.

• Like 2

paperpanzer

Once again the Slimy Slug comes to my aid! :thumbsup:

This line appears in the BC_Rampdown.lws-

AddNullObject SFX,SND_Bsplosh,0
ShowObject 8 7
ObjectMotion (unnamed)
  0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1
  0 0 0 0 0
  0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1
  15 0 0 0 0
EndBehavior 1
ShadowOptions 7

So- just copy-pasta that and change SND_Bsplosh,0 somewhere else in the lws file?

And exactly what do all the numbers below the ObjectMotion line mean? I hope I won't have to start tweaking those...

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

Those numbers are usually the null's coordinates/rotation/scale I think, though I need to check the others to see what those would be since I don't know off the top of my head.

Cirevam would probably know.

Basically yes, copy/paste that and then change the SND_Bsplosh in what you pasted to the new sound that you want to add.  Can be anything you want, and it doesn't have to start with SND I think.  Then you have to add a line by the same name into the cfg, so under Samples you'd add the new sound and then give it the path to your new sound.

• Like 1

paperpanzer

Scratching the erosion and recharge seam sounds. Erosion attempt borked the game up something fierce, insta crashing on any level with eroding ground. I hypothesize that this was the case because almost every level that has eroding ground in it has more than one spot partway through the erosion process, meaning multiple sound plays, meaning (potentially) a client crash.

In terms of the recharge seam I couldn't come up with a sound to adequately represent a large energy reservoir without being irritating to listen to.

Win some lose some i guess.

paperpanzer
5 hours ago, Slimy Slug said:

The drill sound bug is actually when it fails to stop playing upon the destruction of a wall.  

Workaround for me is to go the pause menu and back again. This will reset all sounds, but also has the secondary effect of muting any lava bubbling sound tiles that you have already passed over. 

Not sure what causes this either. Some hiccup somewhere in the LRR sound engine.

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

One thing that is extremely noticeable: the Chrome Crusher and Granite Grinder never suffer from this issue.

My theory is that it has something to do with the hard-coded drill sounds but because it happens with the Raider drill (which isn't hardcoded) that doesn't make too much sense.

The potential fix I have is a bit involved but if you'd like to try it I can post what I did.

paperpanzer
7 minutes ago, Slimy Slug said:

One thing that is extremely noticeable: the Chrome Crusher and Granite Grinder never suffer from this issue.

My theory is that it has something to do with the hard-coded drill sounds but because it happens with the Raider drill (which isn't hardcoded) that doesn't make too much sense.

The potential fix I have is a bit involved but if you'd like to try it I can post what I did.

Both the Raider drill and the Small Digger drill- which is funny by the way, because while both have the same sound, it's two separate files. Makes it easier to mod now- but (and I bet this has been repeated way too many times now) who knows why they did that in the first place.

Sure, I'll try my hand at it. Maybe one day we can also fix the lava bubbling going away after going into the menus. Or is that more of an .exe thing?

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

I've had my mod produce weird sound bugs when pausing the game so this is probably the exe at work.

Now that I actually looked at my cfg it's not as complicated as it seems; I just over-complicated it for myself because I'm extremely pedantic about the way I set things up :P

Ok so let's start off with changing the IDs in Stats.

First, locate Pilot {} within the Stats {} section of the cfg and look for the DrillSound and DrillFadeSound lines.  

Change what they linked to anything you want; this is what I did to match the Chrome Crusher's format (just in case):

Drillsound			DrillSFX_PilotDrill
			Drillfadesound			DrillSFX_PilotDrillFade	

You'll need to update the lines in Samples {} that these lines were previously calling to the name you chose for this.  Rinse and repeat with the Small Digger and you should be all set.  You shouldn't have to change the actual path to the sound in the respective Samples {} lines, just the IDs.

I'm not entirely convinced this actually worked, but I have yet to encounter it in my own mod.

• Like 1

paperpanzer

As far as I can tell it appears to be working- but methinks more long-term testing is required to see if this is a 100% fix.

paperpanzer

Update- more cavern sounds and improved lava sounds (additional lava sounds sourced from the cutscenes for the keen-eared)

Now all we need is a sound fix for the lava\ pause menus. Because boy do the lava sounds not like sound resets.

• Like 1

lol username

Nice, though it sounds awfully wet for a hot lava cavern. I can't imagine there'd be much dripping water in an environment like that and the lava itself wouldn't really be making dripping noises. Though I suppose that goes back to the problem of unique sounds per biome?

paperpanzer

The lava isn't making any dripping sounds at all, at it's core it's made from the stock lava sound loop, the audio from the LRR cutscene movie and a dynamic bass line to tie both together and enrich it.

As for the drips, not much I can do about that on a per-level basis. If making unique biome sounds was a thing I'd be all over that. Make levels like Lake of Fire and Hot Stuff sound like magma is about to pour out of the walls.

You can make localized, unique sounds very easily. Scenery objects can be coded as monsters, made invisible, then only exist to trigger sounds. You give your monster a dummy animation and define an EngineSound in its CFG entry. You can also make it so raiders cannot interact with it at all. Now you have an object that will continuously play sounds whenever the camera is near it. Throw a bunch of those in your level and make unique ones for specific levels. I can help you with this if you want.

paperpanzer

@Cirevam Thanks for the offer- I wasn't planning on making maps but I've been playing around with Cyrem's map editor tool for a while now. (There are a few things that I still don't know how to do in the tool, like adding sleeping monsters, rotate the starting camera and buildings, etc.) Despite that I think in the future I may make a map pack for LRR. I wouldn't know where to start with adding in null sound generators in Cyrem's tool though. (that being said I have worked with them before in other editors.)

As of now my sound addons have reached a near-final point. Having played through Axel's mod I can say that there are a few of his sounds that I would like to use in it as well (such as the SMLC, Cargo Carrier, and Tunnel Transport engine sounds.) which I would make as a separate sound mod. Currently what I have is just an addon pack.

Loader Dozer sounds up next- reworked the animation file to re-align the sound play for the shovel.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
ShadowDraikana

@paperpanzer I fiddled with the erosion animations last night and managed to add sounds in.  Not sure why you had a problem before, but I thought I'd let you know that it does seem to be possible to add sounds to these animations.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.