Cyrem

10 Year Anniversary - Whats RRU to You?

Brickoum

It's been a great place we're I met friends (And where most of them are). Have enjoyed learning so much about histories of various games thanks to great people like jamesster, which later inspired me to do my own research. It's been a long journey since I first found this place while looking for LEGO Island 2 modding information back in 2013 (Well sort of, I think I may have known about RRU for awhile, but really wasn't ready to explore online communities at the time) and I hope there's several more fun years in store!

• Like 4

Serwithed

RRU? For me?
that's a hard question not gonna lie. 
However the thing is, RRU is the reason why I'm still interested in LEGO and to some extent, even interacting with communities online. It's always great to speak to other people with interesting views, opinions etc and it sorta taught me what to think whilst having a discussion with people all over.
The biggest impact to me is how a community based on a LEGO title from the 90s had diverse people with passion for such an outdated and forgotten game which always makes me happy -
Besides this, it's no shocker that this community lasted longer than nobody expected. 10 years? That's quite a feat. Let's go forward with many more years to come and modding research waiting to be uncovered. 
Happy 10th anniversary RRU!

• Like 3

Cirevam

This is the only online community that's ever captured my interest and attention for a meaningful amount of time. I've drifted away from everywhere else, whether it was Blockland, GameFAQs, or some obscure forum under the internet's couch cushions. I feel like I can call some of the people here "friends," and I actually mean that. Maybe it's because I was here since the Zetaboards days, even if it was only for a month. I wouldn't say I grew up here since I joined when I was 18, but RRU seems to mark the start of my "I have left home and am my own person now" era. The forum and people here are important to me.

Modding old LEGO games is cool too, even though I really only bother with LRR. I'd do more but I'm not a programmer. Modding has at least given me a way to practice my 3D modeling skills, and the cringy feeling I get when looking at some of the stuff I made in college is proof of my improvement.

• Like 5

mumboking

I really am no good at answering questions like this...

I came for the modding information and tools. 🛠️

I stayed for reasons I don't know how to explain. It's nice here. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Supersonic

Wow, 10 years already? Incredible to realize the community held together that long (you surely worked a lot for that, Cyrem ;) ).

RRU has always been that small, cozy corner of the internet which I can visit every couple of months and find a new or updated awesome mod or brick build or info or story or some person to talk with. Seeing that occasionally people turn up here who used to work on LEGO games in the past surely also speaks for RRU :)

Here's to the next 10 years, rock on! :D🎉

• Like 3

Xir

Whoo humm. Gee, I've been here for almost that long? Erm... well, back when I had any decency for activity, RRU use to be one of my big go-to places for inspirations on projects to work on. I have some regrets not ever making any real solid friendship in the time I've been here, which was mostly my fault to be honest; outside the things I made I kept myself very distant. Oh well. Why I still check up every now and then still? I'm not entirely sure, I guess partially it's because I'm still interested in the health of the site I've been a part of the longest (and only old one I haven't truly left). It's also just a pretty nice place to just chill around.

• Like 4

Mr. Skeltal

My goodness, it's really been that long?

Thats honestly insane to think.

RRU means a lot to me for a couple of reasons.

This place the first time I was really active on a forum. I was 10 when I made this account all that time ago. I found the website from a youtube video, of which I couldn't tell you the exact name of, but it was for texture mods for LEGO Racers, a game I had been playing at the time. I went to the link in the description, which lead to here. At first glance, I didn't thank much of the place, but that quickly changed once I noticed that it was a board dedicated to classic LEGO games, and those games were something that I grew up playing as a kid. While I may not had posted much at the time, it was always fun to read what others had to say, and look at the work that was being done on these games at the time. I also found the community to be full of great and insightful people as well. Sure, a few people have left over time, but to see pretty much all the people I remember seeing all that time ago really is cool.

One other thing I will never forget is how I was treated at the time of registration. My first post was about how I add maps into LEGO Rock Raiders, which led to someone to making a "Hello" topic for me. Since I was so young at the time, I didn't know what to say or do, so I never did properly introduce myself at the time. In that thread was also threats of being banned, as people thought I was someone else, due to sharing a very similar PFP.

I'll end this long post by saying that I hope that this community continues to live for a long time, and more and more work can be done to these games as time goes by.

• Like 3

Ben24x7

For me, Rock Raiders United represents my first experience chatting with an online community, but it also helped to teach me how to talk/communicate online in a civilised manner.

Yes, I do regret the things I did and said back when I was a young attention-seeking fool, but I'm thankful for the backlash that I received as it helped me understand what I was doing wrong and how to become a better person online.

As for modding, I didn't intend on joining RRU to become part of the modding scene - I think I joined RRU so I could keep up-to-date with the weird/silly stuff jamesster and Jessietail used to make - but I was fascinated to hear about the inner workings of the classic LEGO games I had been collecting as a kid (especially reading about the dumb design decisions behind LEGO Island 2, that always gives me a good laugh), and recently I've been inspired to start digging through LRR's wad file to teach myself the basics of modding LEGO Rock Raiders.

So here's to RRU's 10th anniversary. It's been a wild ride, and I honestly cannot wait to see what the next decade has in-store.

1iWBno1.png

-- Ben24x7 --

Spoiler

I was preparing something special for this occasion, specifically a timeline documenting the history of Rock Raiders United (from Cyrem tampering with LRR's .wad file in 2007 to 2018), but I'm afraid I wasn't able to complete it in-time for the forum's 10th anniversary.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

dy_enforcer

I have registered RRU since 2017 but believe it or not, back in 2009, I heard RRU through google search when I look for lego rock raiders on a PS1 game because of how different it is compare to the PC.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Rock_Raiders_United/index/

To be honest, it was nothing special when I first looked at it. It was a simple forum discussion about the game itself but I do respect on how this forum led a foundation of what it is today. Sadly it didn't interest me to register back in 2009 so I ignore the website and move on. It's really ironic considering that I have fond memories of playing Rock Raiders when I was 10(I was very noobish at that time😋)

In 2014. I found Lego Racers in the attic, very dusty but still playable. The one thing that bugs me is the lack of colored bricks on that game. No green, No tan. Just red, yellow, blue, black and white. Only some of the colors go to a specific piece which limits the possibilities that you can do with it. Nostalgic but unsatisfying. That all changed in 2017 when I google search and saw this website.

https://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/4886-additional-brick-colors-mod/

At first, I was stunned and surprised that this came from RRU. It excites me to the point where I want to know how to install that mod and when I do, I feel very satisfied. Not just green bricks, there are tan, brown, dark grey and even go so far to get all colors from that piece such as the 1x2 inverted slope piece which is only limited to light grey and white, but now it has red, yellow, blue, etc. Because of this it led me to create my own racers for the first time that I never intend to do when I got this game back then. It was amazing of how this happened and your looking at the guy who was not very impressed with the website during my first visit. This experience led me to register RRU and I was about to say thank you to those who made this mod until the renovation happened.😥

Nowadays, I keep coming back to this forum not only to change some pictures of my Lego Racers creation but just to see what other mods that they could do from other games and how will the people like myself would have interest to get into.

So back to the question: What's RRU to (me)

As Cyrem said back in the old website. The website devoted to Lego Rock Raiders will hopefully revive past players and bring this great game back to life after 9 years

Its not only Lego Rock Raiders though, but other games that people have fond memories of. Lego Racers, Lego Island, Lego Stunt Rally, Lego Alpha Team and so on. 

It happened to me, and I'm sure it will happen to them too.

• Like 3

Sluicer
20 hours ago, Cyrem said:

What has RRU meant to you for the time you’ve been here?

At first: congratulations!

In a few days I will be part of this community for 4 years - wow. And I am happy to be a small part of it.

Collecting and building LEGO and creating 3D animations have always been a central interest of mine. And when LEGO went digital with the first games - I loved it: two worlds became united. I played Rock Raiders (I never managed the last level) and Racers and I loved Soccer Mania. After the TT Games games raised the quality of the meshes became interesting for me.

I detected this forum kind of late. I was already investigating in some formats for quite some time. After I found it, I was a little bit euphoric. I started looking at the old games again and I enjoyed it. Everytime when the forum was down or not available, I thought: 'come on - please continue...'.

I did not join this forum to make friends - I joined it to exchange information with like-minded persons (looks like there are not so many). It is some kind of runaway from the real world for me. Sadly, I do not have enough time to escape the real world. Sometimes I wish that there is more traffic in the forum but then I remember always how rare my own contribution is.

Currently, I do not know of a comparable place in the www. So: Thank you and please keep on going.

• Like 2

aidenpons

I'm really grateful to all the kind people that taught me how to behave on the inter-

18 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

For me, Rock Raiders United represents my first experience chatting with an online community, but it also helped to teach me how to talk/communicate online in a civilised manner.

Yes, I do regret the things I did and said back when I was a young attention-seeking fool, but I'm thankful for the backlash that I received as it helped me understand what I was doing wrong and how to become a better person online.

- what? You quite literally took the words out of my mouth OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.pngI came over from the LMBs, which while we like to rubbish them, are a lovely safe haven for very young people. This was the second forum I found and while I was one of the worst arch-necromancers ever to come to this forum, Antilles fixed that in one of the nicest ways I've experienced.

Much, much time has passed since then (... must be all of five years? Yes, five years in 29 days!) and you've all taught me how to behave oneself on the internet. For my family, my parents did not care (and still do not) about the internet, and my siblings didn't do much to educate me either. All of you - with special thanks to Terrev and Cyrem, but I would like to emphasis all of you, have taught me how to behave on the internet, and you've shaped me into the smiley-loving person I am OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png(Perhaps you should have changed the way you talked to me if you wished to be spared such smiliesOldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png).

RRU has been a fantastic place. To use the term, it is my "happy place." Whenever things go pear-shaped, RRU is always up (or if it isn't Cyrem has graciously provided us with a chatbox!), RRU is always here. A place where I can forget everything I want to. A place where I can just go and talk, read, and browse, without any commands or orders; where I am under no obligations to do anything.

In some ways RRU's quieteness has benefits - it means one is never overwhelmed. Nothing's lost here, partly thanks to Cyrem's fantastic preservation efforts - I see you're busy migrating some files off Oresome OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png It might be quiet, but that makes it cozy. It certainly doesn't feel empty and bare.

I'd like to close this gush with a self quote: "You're all lovely people!"

• Like 3

Dazzgracefulmoon

this community has always been great to me, I absolutely love talking to the people here. I may not contribute much to the LEGO side of stuff anymore, but I still appreciate the people who do. and I always love seeing the sheer creativity, and effort that many members put into this site

• Like 2

RaveV

RRU to me has been a really great community. Everyone can always help you if you need help with modding and everyone is always kind and friendly to everyone. 
RRU is a wonderful place to me and I hope it'll always be.

• Like 1

Antillies

It's been quite a long while since I stumbled upon RRU.  If my memory serves me correctly, I first found it when it was the old design.  I'm fairly positive I created an account then, but for the life of me I could not remember the login details when I refound the site a few years after.  I believe what attracted me to RRU in the first instance was that midway through college a wave of nostalgia had hit me and I reinstalled the game.  Modding in the gaming community as a whole was just about reaching the level where it stands today and I, wanting a bit more of challenge or a way to experience Rock Raiders afresh, must have Googled "LEGO Rock Raiders mods."  This brought me to RRU and it, with Baz's mod in hand, fulfilled my desire for something new within the familiar.

But even after I had run through Baz's mod, something stuck with me about the site.  Rock Raiders , and other LEGO games (not to mention LEGO's themselves), formed a large chunk of my childhood and formed an inescapable foundation to my taste in gaming and other aspects of my outlook on the world.  Once I had joined RRU, I found I was not unique in that.  Perhaps not everyone shared my specific brand of appreciation or aesthetic, but nearly all placed the game within the same box of glowing praise and nostalgia that I did.  These other users were passionate people; they were intelligent, hardworking, good-humored, and fun.  I was, and continue to be, so incredibly impressed and amazed by the range and depth of the content created and work done by users here, whether it be MOC's, renders, modding, game mechanics research, or original programming (doubtless I'm forgetting a few).  The creativity, competence, and effort of the community of RRU is astounding and so very impressive. 

It was through RRU that @bartvbl and myself took on the challenge of recreating Rock Raiders as a team.  I was very lucky to find such a good teacher, friend, and teammate in @bartvbl and though ORR-D has gone through many ups and downs, it remains as one of my most rewarding and positive experiences (plus it helped me be a better programmer!).  I hope someday we may return to it. 🙂

As I've taken on new roles over the course of my tenure here, not only have I been able to interact more with the community and have countless positive experiences with its members, but I've had the good fortune to find many friends and to bond with them over something equally loved.  @Cyrem, @Cirevam, @Addictgamer, @jamesster: I could not have been more lucky to have found such a steady group of comrades such as yourselves, whose intelligence, good sense, and good nature has only ever been a positive influence on my life.  Thank you for that which you have given me.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that RRU was gracious to provide me with the opportunity to help me grow as a responsible, even-handed, and fair-minded adult.  For that, I will always be appreciative. 

Rock Raiders United is unique.  The community and the leadership of the site combine to elevate it above most others, not only in substance but in integrity and longevity - for indeed, the site is the users, and that is what attracts many and continues to make this wonderful place vibrant, stimulating, and worthwhile.  The users are united in common cause with the games that helped, to a degree, form them as individuals.  In that respect, Rock Raiders United has played an integral part in helping to grow many of us as people, and that, I think, among so many others, is an achievement very much worth celebrating.

Congratulations, RRU, and 10th Happy Birthday. 

• Like 3

Red60

I remember stumbling on this forum in like... 2011? I was amazed people still had interest in these games.

I joined and threw up a ton of texture mods, learning PaintdotNet like the back of my hand in the process.

Now here I am, haven't been as active, but still here.

Thank you RRU, I'm glad I'm still a part of this awesome community.

• Like 1

Pascal

The first time I found out about RRU was seeing a texture mod for Lego Rockraiders after googling about the game (which I played when I was very young). I saw levels with pink crystals and castle walls and I was truly amazed that there were people who could mod this amazing game. I think I didn't join at that moment but I did some time later (still in 2009) with the silly name of 'Rockraider pascal'. This community was truly amazing and I saw all of you as my friends (especially @McJobless and @The Slimy Slug which became closer friends).

Sadly, being the stupid kid that I was I always wanted to be in the spotlights which resulted in me being stupid, making up stories and straight up lying about what I could do. Back then I thought you guys believed me, but looking back I don't think that that was the case hahah. I learned a lot here and I had a really good time here. I haven't been active for many years now and I will probably never be again, but I will never forget you guys. I still look at the forum and the discord from time to time and sometimes I'll still start a project related to LEGO to improve my programming skills (and never finish it of course ;p).

Thank you, people of RRU, for giving me a great time which I will remember forever.

• Like 1

le717

I initially joined RRU after watching videos regarding the very first inklings of Racers modding (uploaded by @jamesster, iirc) but it quickly became a place I enjoyed. It was here that I began to explore the world of programming. Though the semi-mentoring and guidance of @JrMasterModelBuilder to the utter disaster of so. many. projects., I learned and grew. Today, I am a 5+ year web developer, working on my third college degree, hold a professional job, have professional experience, and often have the opportunity to guide others in programming. All that and more has origins here at RRU.

Ye, during my nearly 7 years of membership, I have had  my far share of tussles with people (who doesn't?) but they were resolved. I've seen people come and go, fights occur, acted as a chat mediator more times than I can count, but in all of it, as @McJobless once wrote, RRU is a family. Families are dysfunctional but they are still family. And that is RRU. While, like Xir, I've not totally made life-long friends from here (probably my fault), I do have trust with some people on here, and maybe one day, I can meet them in-person and we can perhaps continue our trust more deeply. It's through RRU that I've grown as a person. Y'all, I was 16 when I joined (do the math). I made bad pranks that got the forum rules altered because of me (something I occasionally laugh about), wrote blog posts that talked on my life issues, and spoke on a hope for a better life. Long time members may remember my post #NoSocialLife. Since that post, so many things I spoke of and wished for have changed. But if I had not written it, telling my family, I'm not sure I would be where I am today,

RRU is, to this day, the only forum on the Internet bearing my name in the membership and history. I'm not near as active as I was before, but I still lurk, occasionally post, and develop tools with RRU in mind. I'm proud to be a part of RRU. I don't know what the future holds, but I know my past here has not been in vain.

Here's to 10 years and more of eternal landslides, Gypsy Moth being a harder opponent than Rocket Racer, and a future generation of family.

• Like 4

RobExplorien

This is a great place. For a long time I was completely unbeknownst to there being many more of these people still reminiscing about LEGO games of which I figured they had all gone into oblivion for the most part. But you proved me wrong, and not only do the people here have passionate discussions about these relics from the nineties, you even managed to reverse engineer this stuff and open up a world of modding. That was quite an eye-opener for me, and I'm pretty sure that occupied quite the hours of my free time as well back then.

Interests fade and change, and as far as I recall, I have not been active much in this place of the web for months, or years, now. But from time to time, I still like to check up and see what is happening on the forum. I have always found it remarkable how kind the people here are, and it is interesting to see how some of you have established strong friendships via this channel. In the background I also still keep in touch with some members. I even got to meet up with them, usually by coincidental circumstances when I was travelling. I met Xiron and his brother in the west coast of Canada last year, walked around Amsterdam with Shadowblaze a few months back, and rode some wacky rollercoasters with SomeSwedish not long ago in Sweden. 

Thank-you for this forum Cyrem.

• Like 3

Xir

^I met this guy from across the planet irl because of a game based off of a plastic toy

• Like 4