Has there ever been a major spiritual successor to LRR?

Discount_Flunky

Discount_Flunky

I'm wondering if there has ever been a major spiritual successor to LRR.  (By major I mean a full release game that was specially made to mimic the feel and gameplay of LRR).  If there is, I'd like to know because I'd defiantly want to play it, but I'm mainly asking because I'm interested in attempting to make one if there isn't one.  I have a group of friends who have been planning on trying to of make a game for a while now.  I'm super passionate about LRR and despite my nostalgia googles I truly feel that LRR was ahead of its time in some ways.   I feel it deserves a spiritual successor.  It would have the same core gameplay with expanded content and a higher difficulty curve.  Still will be a causal game just won't hold your hand for as long as LRR does.  I'd also probably  up the maturity level up a little bit, mostly because I find the "They all teleported just in the nick of time!" feature to be a little to convenient for them.  Obviously we'd have to drop the Lego theme and come up with a new art style but that's the least important part all things considered.  I'm not saying this defiantly going to happen, I've only  told my brother (the sound/music guy) about this plan yet, and life might get in the way, but I wanted to establish if there's even a point in trying in first place before I commit time to it.   I'd be open to others joining the team if people are interested.  

Edited by Discount_Flunky
missed words

• 2 months later...

There's the Mars Mission CrystAlien Conflict, which is another Lego themed RTS centred around base building and collecting crystals but with more focus on fighting aliens.

18 hours ago, Example said:

There's the Mars Mission CrystAlien Conflict, which is another Lego themed RTS centred around base building and collecting crystals but with more focus on fighting aliens.

It hardly counts though - mining is simply a money-making venture with which to fund your war efforts to crush your opponent into the dust with strike fighter and nuke spam.

Contrast to LRR, where the whole point is to simply get crystals. Here your hazards are not somebody else's Rock Raider HQ but the caverns itself - CAC has no "creeps" or hostile neutrals at all, certainly not ones that just appear out of the ground!

I did bump into Factory Town, which in many ways shares no similarity with LRR, (more diverse resources, no hostiles, happiness, ability to transport items with conveyers and not just workers), but this area of gaming isn't really one I've looked into. What's the proper name for this theme of games? It's hardly a Real-Time Strategy as those always involve beating opponents up (CAC is an RTS completely!)... and it's not really a "city building" game as the objective is not to create a massive Rock Raider HQ; the objective is simply to collect crystals, and sometimes you need higher-tier vehicles to get the crystals you need (a notable exception is the level Lake of Fire, whereby you spam STTs to win; but who (except speedrunners) would think of finishing Rocky Horror without a Chrome Crusher?), but you don't need a massive HQ.

• 6 months later...

For those interested, Factory Town is now in a much more functional Early Access state.

World gen aside, you get workers to run around collecting your resource (tasks are manually assigned) to collect and process things (eg cut down trees to get lumber which you take to a Lumber Mill which you take to base where it is 'stored'). There isn't any 'objective,' but one game should keep you occupied for many hours at least.

Tech later down the line includes conveyer belts, railroads, and transport vehicles.

Here's a half an hour letsplay from a YTer I like: if you want something a little longer which actually explores what the game has to offer, I can reccomend this.

I think it's shaping up nicely! We might be able to knock up an LRR-esque mod for it :P

• 3 months later...

It's not really anything like LRR but in Cosmoteer (currently in EA, download freely available from their website) you build and expand your own spaceship as you fly around a galaxy.

What reminded me of LRR is not only how the workers automatically ferry power to anything that needs it (and, in general, are more clever than Rock Raiders), you can also build essentially one-way-only Power Paths.

Now I need to make something that looks like the LMS Explorer in it :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.