All black in fullscreen. All white in window.

MrBalll

1 hour ago, dcbstudios said:

Hold up..... 

I just removed dgvoodoo from the game folder.... Turned off compatibility mode... And It loaded a ton faster... There's still a little lag. Gonna keep fiddling with it. Now I'm a super confused.... And feel like I've wasted a ton of everyone's time.

Nah, it's okay. Running LRR is extremely hit-and-miss: sometimes it works immediately, and... sometimes it doesn't. We're trying to help! (or at least I am, and I think Cyrem is :P)

18 hours ago, dcbstudios said:

Yea it's only 3 gig... I got the thing back in 2007...its one of the only systems I got with windows still on it. I'm running Linux mint on everything else I own.. And I just ain't got the money to dump on a computer.... I'm just trying to keep myself busy with what I got till my next paycheck. Sorry for the whiplash when you saw the 3 gig. Hell my other main computer is a damn Emachines i got from some family and I put what I could in it for ram... So all in all... 4 gig of ram is the max I have on any of my systems.

It's okay, I was just wondering if that was actually 3 GB of RAM. :P

Good luck, Rock Raider!

dcbstudios

Well folks.... I'm playing Rock Raiders! 

After getting my Virtualbox set up, getting a windows xp sp3 iso, taking forever to set up the shared folder so I could transfer.... (blood pressure rising) D3drm.dll.... I just spent seriously like an hour and a half getting the shared folder to work between Linux Mint and Virtual Windows XP.... Just to transfer that one file over.... But with that... I'm managing my team on level 1 as we speak. Thank you all.  I am actually really glad there are folks that still rock this game. You guys make this that much more worth it. Even if some of you RAM shame me (? ? ? ? jk jk...wait.. is ram shaming even a thing?). 

With that said... 

Any recommendations to upgrade this experience? Mods, extra levels, you name it! My wife just lost me for a while to this game ? ? ? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dcbstudios said:

Well folks.... I'm playing Rock Raiders! 

GET HYPED! :light1: Wahooooo! :D:light2: Party time! :strobe::light4::light3: :stro- aidenpons has been banned for strobe spamming

7 hours ago, dcbstudios said:

With that said... 

Any recommendations to upgrade this experience? Mods, extra levels, you name it! My wife just lost me for a while to this game ??? 

I highly recommend vanilla first. It is still surprisingly playable, even though some levels are a chore. There are ways and means around this though. Some generic pointers, and then spoiler'd level-specific general game abuse:

- If there's rubble on the far side of the map that your raiders want to clear (Hot Stuff and Water Works), just disable shovelling in the priorities. It's not a problem though: if you select a tile and click Clear Rubble that overwrites the disable and just that tile will be cleared.

- Any level with erosion becomes waaaay less annoying if you rearrange the priorities such that Ore is at the 9th and last slot. This is because "Shovel Power Path" is a priority hidden in-game that sits about 8 that also controls repairing erosion. If it's above Ore, raiders will shovel Power Paths; but if it's below, raiders will pick up ore instead of shovelling paths: and there's aaaaalways ore to pick up.

SPOILER WARNING!

Spoiler

Water Lot of Fun - Instead of sending a Rapid Rider over and etc etc etc, there are enough crystals for you to win just on your starting side of the map alone.

Back to Basics: Wall off slug holes like so using depowered teleport pads. The game is basically scripted to keep X slugs on the map at all time, and trapped slugs still count as slugs...!

That said, Community Edition is now a thing! But sometime I feel like playing in anything more than 640x480 ruins the feel of this game :P

Baz's Mod is also playable, although there are some really funny design decisions and some levels are just an absolute chore. However this is the only overhaul that is actually 'finished,' even if TBH I don't like it all that much (but that was because it was made a long time ago where map editing was still done with hex editors: it's excusable.)

Have a shameless plug for my half-baked 'monsters-will-smeck-your-base' mod, which is I'd say worth playing for a couple of levels there (Tunneled and Frozen Frenzy are my best ones there: The Marsh and Lava Laughter are also quite good IMO): but definitely finish playing vanilla through first. (I need to tidy this up into a more playable, drag-n-drop, state.... got much modding to do, but I also have many assignments to do D:)

You might also have fun with Hover Scout Upgrade, which you can reasonably run alongside vanilla (has minimal effects on gameplay aside from making many aspects less tedious :P as well as being a massive ore sink)

The Tunnel Transport can be enabled, however a) it's not needed in any levels (and thus won't help you out) and b) invariably breaks at some point in time.

High-Poly objects can also be installed but a) the LRR engine doesn't like oodles of polygons hanging around (the high-poly Teleport Pad is especially bad for this) and b) the low-poly sometimes gives the game its charm. :PHigh-Poly Rock Raiders is very good though.

Map-wise, I'd finish the game first, because a good deal of them overwrite a level / stuff up sounds / generally play up. Cafeteria makes the process significantly less painful however most modded levels don't have Cafeteria files. (A more up-to-date version of Cafeteria is included in Community Edition, but was playing up a little when disabling mods last time I checked) Those that do are usually worth installing, even if because doing so is easy. :P

I can highly reccomend alan's Cunning Canyons and Lavalanche,  although don't read the second topic beyond the OP: contains spoilers!

I also create some maps: a lot are included in Monster's Revenge (which I already linked) but a couple of good standalones (in fact, the only ones I released as standalones :P)

are Ice Sanctuary, Xiron, and on a sadder note, Christchurch (which still makes me cry...). On a happier note, I also made Whack-A-Slug which can be fun to play around with :P

And of course there's Time Raiders, which is a massive (and incomplete) overhaul from file size alone, but it's such a total overhaul that I'd definitely recommend vanilla LRR first.

(Writing this has spurred me on to get started on a couple projects involving maps and Cafeteria... will get onto this when I don't have too many assignments due in too little time!)

In the last couple days I've located a major cause of menu lag on Windows 10 which I intend to address in a version of Community Edition. You'll find the Japanese version exe runs smoother than standard Masterpiece Edition due to how it handles the drawing of text differently (Yes you can just wack the Jap exe in place of the English exe and it'll work just fine aside from the crammed text).

I've done basically no testing of Cafeteria on XP, so I have no idea how that would turn out.

• Thanks 1
  • Suprised 1

dcbstudios

Similar to speed runs on certain games... Less for the system to manipulate I'm guess? 

1 hour ago, Cyrem said:

In the last couple days I've located a major cause of menu lag on Windows 10 which I intend to address in a version of Community Edition. You'll find the Japanese version exe runs smoother than standard Masterpiece Edition due to how it handles the drawing of text differently (Yes you can just wack the Jap exe in place of the English exe and it'll work just fine aside from the crammed text).

I've done basically no testing of Cafeteria on XP, so I have no idea how that would turn out.

Similar to speed runs on certain games... Less for the system to manipulate I'm guessing? 

Also I can try cafeteria on xp... I just got Baz mod started... But I can goof with a couple different setups if you need a system test 

15 hours ago, dcbstudios said:

Also I can try cafeteria on xp... I just got Baz mod started... But I can goof with a couple different setups if you need a system test

Should be fine. IIRC at least Cafeteria v0.9.3 works on XP, haven't checked the newer version.

Also, this just in, Improvements Pack: in particular a WAD method which allows you to just replace two game files and bam, you're done and can launch!

Whatever you play (all of them? :P), enjoy! :rruftw:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.