All black in fullscreen. All white in window.

MrBalll

Just recently installed LRR and I went through several guides on here for WIN10.

When I run the LegoRR in the install folder as admin LRR starts and I hear the audio, but it's only a black screen when in full screen mode. I think after the initial startup it freezes because I don't hear any audio after this initial loading audio. I also notice that with Task Manager open it says LRR isn't responding, yet the initial audio is still playing without issue.

If I run windowed mode the screen is all white the same audio instance as full screen.

I've done VooDoo, added the d3drm.dll file, changed to 16 bit in compatibility, changed to Win XP SP3 in compatibility. I even tried the 'rr-fix' for the window mode issue.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

MrBalll

• 1 month later...

Hmm. It's a possibility that the game is trying to play its intro videos and failing miserably - but it will only play the videos if it can find them, either in its Data\AVI folder or on the disk. So if the disk is out and you haven't bothered fiddling with Data, it won't be playing any videos anyway.

Also, 16-bit colour is necessary for LRR to run in windowed mode, so you'll want to keep that on. You're clicking the "Direct3D HAL" box when launching it? Or are you using the shortcuts on the desktop? If you are using the shortcuts, don't, and just use the executable directly.

Lastly, you can move your LRR directory out of Program Files and into somewhere else - Windows 10 hates programs mucking around in Program Files and it will frequently a) bar the game from saving there unless run as admin and b) complain that you won't be able to edit stuff. I find making a folder in C:\ called "Games" works a treat. This won't help LRR run, but it will help in your effort to screw with it.

Beyond that, the only advice I have that I know will get LRR to run is to fish up an XP machine and install LRR on that OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png

• 9 months later...
dcbstudios

Toshiba Satellite A215

Windows 10 Pro

3 GB Ram 

AMD Turion 64 X2

Using original Lego RR CD 

I'm having the same issue, I've spent going on 6 hours and multiple different walkthroughs trying to get past this blank screen. When running in windowed or full screen it plays the Lego logo (lmi640.avi) sound, but no visual, and once done playing the sound nothing else happens. To close it I have to open Task Manager and kill LegoRR.exe.

-------- MY ATTEMPTS --------

- LegoRR.exe is running on 640x480/Admin/16bit.

-I have the appropriate files for dgVooDooCpl (all from MS and the EXE program) in both original Program Files folder as will as my C:/LEGO folder. 

-D3drm.dll has been added. 

- I've done the swap of the LegoRR.icd file (720 kb) for the appropriate 0 bit since I'm running it off the CD. 

- I've used the LEGO Rock Raiders Alternate Installer 1.1.1

- I've used the LegoRR.exe from the LEGO Rock Raiders Masterpiece Edition 

-I've run it from the LegoRR.exe using the HAL/Windowed/640x480.

-I've tried reinstalling the AVI codex, as well as changing the program used to open the AVI file type (as I noticed Win 10's Movie and TV app plays sound but no image similar to what happens when I run LegoRR.exe

Any ideas? I'm really hoping it's nothing to do with AMD, as the only other computer I have runs Linux Mint 19 Tessa... And that was another 4 hours of back and forth with installing Wine and the complications of all that good stuff.  If you do however have a thorough Linux Mint 19.1/Ubuntu 18.04 tutorial.. PLEASE recommend it.

I'm pooped.... and just want to defend against some slimy slugs from invading my base. ? 

Shouldn't deal with AMD. I have nVidia and Intel and have this issue.

For some reason I didn't get notifications on the replies from last year so never knew someone posted in here. Only the most recent one sent me an email so I will try the suggestions with moving the folder.

dcbstudios
26 minutes ago, MrBalll said:

Shouldn't deal with AMD. I have nVidia and Intel and have this issue.

Would it make a difference if I get a Windows XP ISO and run it in a VirtualBox? Is AMD that much of an issue for this game?

Just for clarification, you can see and watch the lego media avi, do you ever see the ddi logo? And this occurs the same with and without the disc in drive? (LRR attempts to play avi's from the disc)

AMD is more problematic, however it does work on AMD cards usually with dgvoodoo.

What version of dgvoodoo are you using? And in the mode select it does say "dgvoodoo emulated" on the items in the device list correct?

Have you tried any of the alternative emulated videocards in dgvoodoo? (Under DirectX)

dcbstudios
2 hours ago, Cyrem said:

Just for clarification, you can see and watch the lego media avi, do you ever see the ddi logo? And this occurs the same with and without the disc in drive? (LRR attempts to play avi's from the disc)

What version of dgvoodoo are you using? And in the mode select it does say "dgvoodoo emulated" on the items in the device list correct?

Have you tried any of the alternative emulated videocards in dgvoodoo? (Under DirectX)

When I run the LegoRR.exe.... windowed or full screen... It is a blank screen... But I can HEAR the avi sound. If I go to the CD  or the DATA folder on the computer and play that file using Windows Media Player, it plays no problem. 

I am using dgVooDooCpl 2.55.4

Videocard is set as dgVooDoo Virtual 3d Accelerated Card.  I was told in one walkthrough to adjust the resolution in the DirectX section to whatever screen size works for me... However... I have tried it under UNFORCED and still nothin. 

- - - - Since last post - - - - 

If I tick "Disable and passthru to real DirectX", and start LegoRR.exe, there are no supported 16bit modes avaliable and OK is grayed out for Full or Windowed mode.  - - - FAIL

I have tried these emulated  videocards using the default VRAM and all other settings default, and HAL/Windowed when starting LegoRR.exe:

- dgvoodoo Virtual SVGA

- dgvoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated 

- GeForce4 TI 4800

- ATI Radeon 8500

- Matrox Parhelia-512

- GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 

I keep Task Manager open to monitor ram usage but it never goes above 1.0%, and it states Not Responding. 

Give this a quick try. Create a shortcut to LegoRR.exe, open the properties of the shortcut and in the Target add this to the end after the closing quote:

-programmer

This bypasses the LEGO Avi.

dcbstudios
23 minutes ago, Cyrem said:

Give this a quick try. Create a shortcut to LegoRR.exe, open the properties of the shortcut and in the Target add this to the end after the closing quote:

-programmer

This bypasses the LEGO Avi.

Currently, in the properties of the shortcut:

Target: C:\LEGO\LegoRR.exe - programmer 

RESULT: White window, hear AVI sound, LegoRR.exe app crashes. 

----- I then added quotations as your statement said their would be ------

Target: "C:\LEGO\LegoRR.exe" - programmer

.... However after hitting Apply it removes the quotes. 

BOTH OF THESE I TRIED USING: dgVooDoo Virtual 3D Accelerated Card under the DirectX tab in the dgVooDooCpl application 

RESULT: Same, white window, hear the AVI playing, RAM is at 0.6-1.0%, and LegoRR.exe goes from Running to Not  Responding in about 5 seconds after selecting HAL/Windowed 

dcbstudios

It's giving the loading bar! Huzzah! What is the difference between that WAD and the normal WAD?

Hang tight I'll give you updates if anything else gives me issues. 

RAM is at 16-19%, game is active. It's at half way right now on laod bar. 

Just now, dcbstudios said:

It's giving the loading bar! Huzzah! What is the difference between that WAD and the normal WAD?

DontPlayAVIs TRUE . It turns off the videos :P Oh, and it's also a fully functional English LegoRR1.wad, although I don't think anyone has come across a corrupted LegoRR1.wad.

dcbstudios
2 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

DontPlayAVIs TRUE . It turns off the videos :P Oh, and it's also a fully functional English LegoRR1.wad, although I don't think anyone has come across a corrupted LegoRR1.wad.

Not to be a turd.... Did it always take this long to load? It's just getting to the end of the load bar... Waiting for menu screen switch over. 

It's loaded the menu, however cursor is massively choppy when moving around. Any recommendations for smother performance, system is using on 25% of cpu and 50% of memory. 

7 minutes ago, dcbstudios said:

Not to be a turd.... Did it always take this long to load? It's just getting to the end of the load bar... Waiting for menu screen switch over. 

It's loaded the menu, however cursor is massively choppy when moving around. Any recommendations for smother performance, system is using on 25% of cpu and 50% of memory. 

The choppiness is usually solved with dgVoodoo. However, not every version works for every person: I've had fine results when using v2.53 but I know others use v2.55.4 and I'm sure you could find another version hanging around.

I did recall you saying you were using it earlier: try a different version?

Oh, and you'll need to run in windowed mode! Which I think you were doing anyway.

At least it loads :D

dcbstudios
3 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

The choppiness is usually solved with dgVoodoo. However, not every version works for every person: I've had fine results when using v2.53 but I know others use v2.55.4 and I'm sure you could find another version hanging around.

I did recall you saying you were using it earlier: try a different version?

Oh, and you'll need to run in windowed mode! Which I think you were doing anyway.

At least it loads 

Sorry to keep plaguing you with questions...

Any settings in DgVooDooCpl I should adjust?

I just put the VRam for the Voodoo 3d Accelerated at max 1024. But I'm curious if you had any recommendations.

Should I try a different DirectX emulated card if my adjustment doesn't improve? Or is the Voodoo 3d Accelerated  selection the best option?

I'm thinking about going the route of pulling the data off the cd and use Daemon Tools Lite to create a virtual CD drive and reduce load time. 

I didn't have to adjust the settings, but then again I'm not sure what the difference between dgVoodoo and DgVooDooCpl is :P My approach would be to click aaaaaaall the buttons!

Oh, and do make sure that dgVoodoo's running instance actually matches your LRR installation directory, not some random folder under AppData (at least in 2.53, there's a handy .\ button that just sets the path to where the dgVoodoo executables are: which is handy if you plonked it right next to your LRR directory

5 minutes ago, dcbstudios said:

I'm thinking about going the route of pulling the data off the cd and use Daemon Tools Lite to create a virtual CD drive and reduce load time. 

You know you can run LRR without the CD right?

1) Install LRR by whatever means available

2) Make sure LegoRR.icd is 0 kB, which I think you already had

3) Take the CD out

4) Run LegoRR.exe

dcbstudios
2 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

I didn't have to adjust the settings, but then again I'm not sure what the difference between dgVoodoo and DgVooDooCpl is :P My approach would be to click aaaaaaall the buttons!

Oh, and do make sure that dgVoodoo's running instance actually matches your LRR installation directory, not some random folder under AppData (at least in 2.53, there's a handy .\ button that just sets the path to where the dgVoodoo executables are: which is handy if you plonked it right next to your LRR directory

You know you can run LRR without the CD right?

1) Install LRR by whatever means available

2) Make sure LegoRR.icd is 0 kB, which I think you already had

3) Take the CD out

4) Run LegoRR.exe

I think the CPL in the dgVooDooCpl simply means Control Panel... Because what your describing sounds like what I did to select the current folder with that one button. And trust me.. Anything that sounds like it would speed it up I'm attempting ?.... Removing anti aliasing.... Changing cards... Whatever. But if I do get it running smoother I'll leave a bread crumb trail for anyone having similar issues. Thanks again for all the help. 

The choppiness is because of poor optimizations in some menu's on DDI's part. This is sometimes made worse by the emulation. I hope to address this optimization issue soon in Community Edition.

I also recommend the latest WIP version of dgvoodoo, it has more ddraw optimizations than 2.55.4 and below. While 2.53 works, I don't recommend it other than a fallback due to it's lighting being cactus.

dcbstudios
3 hours ago, Cyrem said:

The choppiness is because of poor optimizations in some menu's on DDI's part. This is sometimes made worse by the emulation. I hope to address this optimization issue soon in Community Edition.

I also recommend the latest WIP version of dgvoodoo, it has more ddraw optimizations than 2.55.4 and below. While 2.53 works, I don't recommend it other than a fallback due to it's lighting being cactus.

I'll have to try that (WIP) when I get home from work. Do you think it might be smart to try doing a virtual system of  Windows XP? Or am I just wasting my time waiting on downloading something like that at this point?

52 minutes ago, dcbstudios said:

I'll have to try that (WIP) when I get home from work. Do you think it might be smart to try doing a virtual system of  Windows XP? Or am I just wasting my time waiting on downloading something like that at this point?

You can give it a go if you like, I just find doing that to be a bit of a hassle. Is the gameplay unplayable slow still?

One more thing, try this version of D3DRM and see if it's faster: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/dl-r317/

Re-reading this thread, I'm mildly confused how you actually got your hands on a machine with 3 GB of RAM.

On 5/20/2019 at 4:09 PM, dcbstudios said:

Toshiba Satellite A215

Windows 10 Pro

3 GB Ram 

AMD Turion 64 X2

Unless you mistyped 32? If it's 3, then, well, does anything run without lag on it?

Also, you've said the main menu is laggy: I'm also guessing the levels are laggy?

See also this topic and particularly this post, which hints that sometimes turning on compatibility mode for XP2 might be a bad idea.

Running it on an XP VM should hopefully work, if all else fails!

dcbstudios
1 minute ago, aidenpons said:

Re-reading this thread, I'm mildly confused how you actually got your hands on a machine with 3 GB of RAM.

Unless you mistyped 32? If it's 3, then, well, does anything run without lag on it?

Also, you've said the main menu is laggy: I'm also guessing the levels are laggy?

See also this topic and particularly this post, which hints that sometimes turning on compatibility mode for XP2 might be a bad idea.

Running it on an XP VM should hopefully work, if all else fails!

Yea it's only 3 gig... I got the thing back in 2007...its one of the only systems I got with windows still on it. I'm running Linux mint on everything else I own.. And I just ain't got the money to dump on a computer.... I'm just trying to keep myself busy with what I got till my next paycheck. Sorry for the whiplash when you saw the 3 gig. Hell my other main computer is a damn Emachines i got from some family and I put what I could in it for ram... So all in all... 4 gig of ram is the max I have on any of my systems.

Regarding lagginess... Yes the menu is slow af.... Then when I can get into the Level Select and then the first level... It takes the captain like 15 seconds to come out from the side of the screen. HOWEVER.... Checking task manager, at most the cpu is at 35% usage tops... And ram 55%.....ive adjust the VRam in DgVooDooCpl to a gig (1024 mb) of ram running room... Which is why I was asking around to see if yall had an idea what's keeping it from running. I've run LegoRR on the laptop back when it had Win XP on it. So I know the system is capable in raw available power and running room and that was before I put the extra gig of RAM. 

SO... when I get home at 7am...ill check out them links you sent. 

1 hour ago, Cyrem said:

You can give it a go if you like, I just find doing that to be a bit of a hassle. Is the gameplay unplayable slow still?

One more thing, try this version of D3DRM and see if it's faster: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/dl-r317/

Yea it's pretty laggy... From menu... To level select to the level itself. Hell it takes captain like 15+ seconds to make it on screen 

I'll check that out when I get home. Thanks for the options. 

dcbstudios

Hold up..... 

I just removed dgvoodoo from the game folder.... Turned off compatibility mode... And It loaded a ton faster... There's still a little lag. Gonna keep fiddling with it. Now I'm a super confused.... And feel like I've wasted a ton of everyone's time. 

I'm curious if maybe it had to do with swapping the WAD or the change out of the LegoRR.exe ... and if that was all I had to do.... 

I'm trying other combinations with different compatibility modes and other things. I'll keep you posted. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.