Lava Cavern Graphics problem. As if fog appears through the cavern walls and roof

Cap't Rex

I am completely not sure what the problem is being cause by. This mostly occurs in lava caverns.

What happens is these nasty looking graphic glitches occur as if there's an "orange fog"/orange-cracks which appear all around the cavern walls, floor, and roof. This happens in both Baz's mod (both the 1.0 and 1.5 versions), and even in fresh installs of the Vanilla LRR game.  When it appears on the cavern roof it looks especially atrocious since the roof turns black with orange "fog" in it. When its on the cavern floor/roof its visible at times in standard LRR view, but more obvious when you go into 1st person eye view in a rock raider. The roof graphic glitch is only visible in 1st person eye view.

Heres some important Specs:

- GTX 980ti Graphics card running

- Win 7 ultimate

What I tried:

- Reinstalling the game

- upgrading and downgrading GPU drivers

- compatibility mode

- Going through the LRR CFG

Other interesting tidbits:

- Cavern walls seem to flicker when moving around the map

- Graphics card works normally and isn't broken

Heres some pics of how this graphics glitch looks like:

3dy4.jpg

3co4.png

This is pretty common. In my experience, it seems to happen more often with modern graphics drivers. It never happened on my nVidia 540M, but it happens quite often on my GTX 970. I have a 1070Ti now and I assume it will happen just as often.

I think this bug occurs because whatever's handling the graphics incorrectly assumes that a color close to pure black is either pure black (000:000:000 is used as transparency in a few places) or is designated as the alpha color for that texture. You can define the alpha color per-texture by appending "A###_" to the texture name where ### is the index number of the specified color. That would explain why not all textures are affected at once. But world textures don't use this naming scheme.

Here's a really extreme example I recently encountered. The windows are pure black, as are the smaller panels below the red line. You can see a few stray red pixels in the medium panel where red text was inadvertently made transparent (bilinear filtering may have caught those pixels).

https://www.rockraidersunited.com/gallery/image/12574-transparency/

I wonder if this happens when using dgVoodoo.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.