Graphical Issues - Blackout in Full Screen, Freezing While Windowed

Dante of the Inferno

Dante of the Inferno

First off, thank you to all who have brought this classic Lego game back to life on modern hardware.  Your dedication and continued support to others wishing to (re)experience this game is truly inspiring.

Thanks to your efforts, I now have Lego Rock Raiders actually "running," which is at least far better than it was doing for the multiple days that I've researched and labored on this game.  This includes reading and researching all of the guides, troubleshooters, comments, drivers, and techniques employed by everyone here.  This is made no easier by the fact that practically everyone has some variant of these solutions to solve their individual (yet common) issue.  Here's my anecdotal evidence so far:

System Configuration:

• (OLD) Acer Aspire 5050 running Windows 7 Professional x64
  • CPU - AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (2.0 GHz)
  • Integrated Graphics - ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 (GPU-Z tells me it has a whopping 128 MB video memory)
  • Resolution (1200 x 800 - yup, it can run 4:3 resolution games like this one!)
  • Memory - 4 GB

On to the Observations:

1. The game runs natively (and at all) solely because of dgVooDoo2.  Serious thanks to Dege for his contribution to older gaming, in general.
  2. I spent an entire day trying out various virtual machines from Windows 98 through XP with no luck.  This may be due to the low resources of this computer.
  3. Years ago, I made an ISO of my original game, which was the original 99 release (SafetyDisc), so that's been...fruitless.  I'm running on the disc-free version.
  4. As mentioned in the System Configuration, this computer uses integrated graphics, which apparently yields errors claiming no DirectX drivers are found, if using any version earlier than dgVooDoo2 V2.55.  Any earlier version (including 2.52 and 2.53) doesn't work at all.  From what I've seen on the forums here, people started noticing the common denominator for the error being the integrated graphics laptops, so it seems like Dege took notice and updated accordingly.
  5. Following the instructions on your various guides and troubleshooting threads, I've extracted and copied the MS, direct3D, control panel, configuration files into the local install folder.  Furthermore, I've copied d3drm.dll (I've tried sourcing from elsewhere and here - still no luck) into both the System32 and SysWOW64 folders, even the local install folder.
  6. For my machine, the user-created shortcut requires XP SP3 or earlier compatibility, with visual themes, desktop composition, and display scaling all disabled, regardless of the following configurations.  It otherwise won't even post the graphical options screen.
  7. In regular 32 bit mode, only Full Screen is an option.  Reducing the display to 16 bit allows for Window Mode.
  8. In both 32 and 16 bit modes, Full Screen is completely black, but the game does run; the intro movie plays, and the game menu reacts.  This is also true, even if the dgVooDoo2 control panel and Shortcut compatibility are both set to the native game resolution.
  9. In 16 bit Window Mode, the display works (in native game resolution)!

The following are observed issues in 16 bit Window Mode:

1. The intro movie video is pretty laggy (about 30-40 seconds by the end).  The controls are far less so.
  2. Game menu is responsive, as is the menu soundtrack (including the sound effects going in and out of menus); note that the sound does also lag behind the background animations of the game menu.
  3. Hovering over the missions and training choices appears functional, along with voiceovers.
  4. In training (I haven't tried this on actual missions to verify), everything appears functional during the briefing, but the video freezes if the cursor is over basically any element outside of the message console.  The game appears to still respond otherwise (clicking still forces sound effects).
  5. The cursor can leave the confines of the game window alright, but actually clicking outside of the window causes the game of stall.  Clicking back into the window causes the window to assume the background of Windows at the moment of stall.  Force quitting the game is then required.

So, that's the extent of my progress as of yet.  I'd love to get to the point of actually playing the game, preferably Full Screen without nearly so much lag, but I understand that will take one step at a time.  I had heard some talk about Cafeteria, but I'm unsure whether that would help at all.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.