Questions about Modding TT Games

RaveV

I have a few questions before I get started on modding a game and they are:

1. Can I mod any game? I just wanna change the texture and maybe the character icon?

2. Does it need to be on Steam?

Thanks.

TT modding is.... difficult. We can't (at all?) mod Bionicle Heroes, but I know we've had success in other games.

Honestly, your best bet is just to give it a go and see what you can do. :| Steam shouldn't make a difference as per se - while TT likes to restructure their data files every so often, the fact that it's on Steam makes no difference.

11 minutes ago, Red60 said:

Texmod may be an option for editing textures? It's pretty easy to use.

Ok. I think I downloaded that already, does it work for all games like Harry Potter 1-4

23 hours ago, RaveV said:

Alright, I'll check in with my results.

Sorry for the double-post but I have a few questions about modding or how to get started:

1. How do I save my changes (this is Harry Potter 1-4)

2. How do I view textures.

3. Is there any other tools I need?

• 2 weeks later...

In general, modding TT's games are possible but difficult. We've had the most luck with LEGO Worlds, with its relatively unobfuscated setup.  Fortunately for the modder, and unfortunately for the modding community, the person with the most knowledge on this subject has been hired by TT and as such isn't allowed to talk about modding TT games anymore.

That said, there's some resources around here for getting textures and the like out, some of which is directly applicable and some of which will require modification.

Here's a guide for Lego Star Wars: TCS that will give you an overview of some of the extraction of models and textures. I don't know how applicable it is for LEGO: Harry Potter - differences may be minimal, may be as simple as minor differences in offset and structure, or may go so far as sweeping format changes.  I don't have the expertise to tell.

I do know for some versions of the engine, QuickBMS and its Ttgames script allow unpacking (and sometimes packing) of the game's .dats, which includes textures as well as models and other things.  I don't think it allows packing for the newer versions; this will mean it's time to figure out building a custom script for it.

If there are sufficient differences, you may need to use the existing scripts and tools for the engine as a starting point and build custom scripts and tools.

Hopefully between this and Red's replies, you can get started.  It's very much not a plug-and-play thing, but it does contain fun and awesome challenges that I at least think are worthy of being solved despite the difficulties.

I am now using this thread as questions about modding TT Games.

I have a question right now like how do I view character icons on Harry Potter 5-7 and how do I view textures because I tried using Texmod but I get the message "D'oh". What is the correct setup to view textures for Texmod?

Also sorry for the double-post but has anyone know how to generate this: mgaGkqy.jpg

Luna icon doing the scared animation (I know the name) Maybe it's like the boss icon without the hearts. I'm not sure. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.