[Alpha Team] No sound?

aidenpons

So for some reason I don't understand I rebooted up Lego Alpha team. It runs well on Windows 10 diskless (as per this)... but there's no sound.

Yes, my speakers are on and they're working fine for everything that isn't Lego Alpha Team. Also using the in-game menu, the volume sliders are set to 100%.

What's also odd is that in the Volume Mixer, Lego Alpha Team doesn't show up at all.

2 hours ago, DRY1994 said:

You said that you're doing it diskless. Have you tried it with the disk?

With or without diskless modifications I still have no sound.

• Disk in, Diskless -> no sound
  • Disk in, Disc needed -> no sound
  • Disk out, Diskless -> no sound
  • Disk out, Disc needed -> won't start, obviously OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png

I just managed to fix this by running the LEGOATeam application in compatibility mode. 

You get it by going:

Program files\Lego Media\Games\LEGO Alpha Team.

Right click LEGOATeam.exe and choose properties. Under compatibility, tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and I chose "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

PS: Looks like loads of us are trying to get this old beauty up and running again! 

11 hours ago, AlphaHelp said:

I just managed to fix this by running the LEGOATeam application in compatibility mode. 

You get it by going:

Program files\Lego Media\Games\LEGO Alpha Team.

Right click LEGOATeam.exe and choose properties. Under compatibility, tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and I chose "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

It was already in compatibility for XP SP2 and running as admin. Taking admin rights off it, leaving it with XP SP2 only, didn't change anything.

oh and please move your game directory out of Program Files before Windows 10 decides that you can't edit anything in there OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.e4013114c97501de1099aa06ca5e6529.png

aidenpons

Having entertained the potential solution that a reinstall might fix it, it turns out that the installer won't run at all. It wants to install DirectX 7, complains it can't because it is "not supported on this version of windows," and without any grace crashes to desktop.

I can't open data2.cab with Universal Extractor, as it complains it can't find data2.hdr . I can open data1.cab, presumably because there's a data1.hdr file that I also copied off and magically made the installer run.

There's also no Alpha Team in the alternate installers that le717 has made.

Oddly the game runs fine (aside from no sound), so evidently whatever DirectX is doing is working.

Another useful tidbit is that the readme mentions, among other things, this fix for sound issues:

5.  Try adjusting your Read-ahead optimization.

a. Right-click on "My Computer" located on your desktop
       and select "Properties".
    b. Within the "System Properties" dialog box, select the
       "Performance" tab.
    c. Click on the "File System" button.
    d. Within the "File System Properties" dialog box,
       adjust your Read-ahead optimization to the "None"
       setting.
    e. Click on "OK" and restart your computer for the
       changes to take effect.

except I can't find the System Properties box, even less so the Read-Ahead Optimization; I can't find anything useful on those two with a little googling.

• 2 years later...

Check out this article, it may fix your problem: LEGO Alpha Team - Windows 10 Setup Guide - Game Guides - Rock Raiders United

On 5/1/2018 at 9:06 AM, aidenpons said:

Having entertained the potential solution that a reinstall might fix it, it turns out that the installer won't run at all. It wants to install DirectX 7, complains it can't because it is "not supported on this version of windows," and without any grace crashes to desktop.

I can't open data2.cab with Universal Extractor, as it complains it can't find data2.hdr . I can open data1.cab, presumably because there's a data1.hdr file that I also copied off and magically made the installer run.

There's also no Alpha Team in the alternate installers that le717 has made.

Oddly the game runs fine (aside from no sound), so evidently whatever DirectX is doing is working.

Another useful tidbit is that the readme mentions, among other things, this fix for sound issues:

except I can't find the System Properties box, even less so the Read-Ahead Optimization; I can't find anything useful on those two with a little googling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.