Series 18 Race Car Guy (Rocket Racer?) Reference Photos

lol username

lol username

Series 18 of the collectible minifigures includes a "Race Car Guy"...

TuMRHjN.png

The official bios for this series aren't out yet, so we don't know if he's truly supposed to be a Rocket Racer redesign, or something else (since the theme of this series is a costume party).

Still, I thought maybe people would want to mod this guy into the Racers games, and I just got him at LEGOLAND California a few days ago... So I got some photos for anyone to use. They're not the absolute best, but they're good enough for reference when making textures.

7 hours ago, Terrev said:

Still, I thought maybe people would want to mod this guy into the Racers games, and I just got him at LEGOLAND California a few days ago... So I got some photos for anyone to use. They're not the absolute best, but they're good enough for reference when making textures.

You called?

large.racecarguyLR1_preview.png.03df1c1e

large.racecarguyLR1_preview2.png.354f42a

• 2 weeks later...

That's cool. In anticipation for the first physical release of Rocket Racer, I built his car from the games but with the colors and details reflective of the car costume piece. I also created alternate hood designs that showcased his iconic RR logo like his car in the LEGO Racers games.

1772808722_RocketRacersCar2018-byDRY1994.jpg.8f34b26c715da8e90694ea925d975d80.jpg624024496_RocketRacersCar2018hooddesigns-byDRY1994.jpg.2f8471fc0d365479aca1c0dc0749d498.jpg

• lol username featured this topic
lol username

Love what you did with the color and sticker patterns, matching them both to the shape of the original car and his accessory. Good stuff.

Also, the bios are out, but his doesn't confirm or deny anything:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/minifigures/characters/race-car-guy-b40062a0571d46f69f78045bfa5004c8

“Zoom! Race you to the cake!”

The Race Car Guy likes to do everything fast, fast, fast! He wants to be the first one to arrive at the party, the first one in line for cake… even the first one to get to the bathroom!

Yes, the Race Car Guy definitely parties in the fast lane. Just don’t expect him to keep quiet while the cake’s candles are being blown out, because no matter what he’s doing, as long as he’s wearing his race car costume, he just can’t stop himself from making constant “VROOM VROOM” noises! Go, Race Car Guy, go!

• lol username unfeatured this topic
RacerRabbit
6 hours ago, DRY1994 said:

That's cool. In anticipation for the first physical release of Rocket Racer, I built his car from the games but with the colors and details reflective of the car costume piece. I also created alternate hood designs that showcased his iconic RR logo like his car in the LEGO Racers games.

1772808722_RocketRacersCar2018-byDRY1994.jpg.8f34b26c715da8e90694ea925d975d80.jpg624024496_RocketRacersCar2018hooddesigns-byDRY1994.jpg.2f8471fc0d365479aca1c0dc0749d498.jpg

Oooh! Very nice work with the custom stickers!

13 hours ago, Terrev said:

Love what you did with the color and sticker patterns, matching them both to the shape of the original car and his accessory. Good stuff.

Also, the bios are out, but his doesn't confirm or deny anything:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/minifigures/characters/race-car-guy-b40062a0571d46f69f78045bfa5004c8

Thanks for the compliment.

While it doesn't directly say in the bio, the name on his belt reads "R. Racer," similarly how the name on the belt of the Race Car Driver from Minifigures Series 3 reads "N. Groves." Their uniforms are very similar to each other. Also, the RR logo refers to the character's name and not simply a title as far as we know.

RandomGuy0099

That's an interesting design.  I came from a different angle with my concept design of the car.  I instead tried to match the color scheme on his outfit, seeing as his car matches his outfit in both of the Lego Racers games.  Take a look:

Spoiler

large.20180412_121632.jpg.5daae8da9fb135

large.20180412_121536.jpg.77937b5782cbef

• lol username featured this topic

That's pretty cool. I really like the front of the car. Do you have a picture with a better look at the side of the car?

I noticed that different official images of Rocket's car from previous games have the wheels sitting at various heights on the car, of which you've chosen the higher position. I think that works well because it allows the air current to keep the car on the ground.

Good job.

• Like 1

RandomGuy0099

Yeah, here's a side view:

Spoiler

large.20180416_194957.jpg.b7a80807858cba

I was using the ingame model of the car for reference as I was designing it in LDD.  I wouldn't really call myself a perfectionist but I do try to be as accurate as possible when I'm recreating something.  Thanks!

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.