Spider Web Glitch (Updated)

ShadowDraikana

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

Updated on 3/29/2018

Since this hasn't been discussed much I may as well document this unused object before getting into its issues:

So recently @Jessietail informed me that the Spider Web can be placed in maps via the object lists (game ID is SpiderWeb).  Yes, they do exist and they do work... partially.  

In the cfg, it is found under the  WeaponTypes {} section.  There is a comment stating "special case" because the damage values are for damage done to the web, though based on testing even low values result in its destruction before an object can pass through it completely.  Need to test this more, obviously.  

Webs MUST be placed between two walls a single block away from each other or else the web will break instantly.  If one of the walls is drilled away later the web will go with it.  

They also cannot be placed in the same location as another object in the .ol.  Doing so results in a crash upon loading the offending map.

Additionally, the debug key `H` will create a web at the mousepoint.  This is the only object linked to a debug key.

The speed of an object passing through a web seems to be linked to the damage value and thus probably cannot be altered separately.  Example: objects that have 0.0 for damage values slow down incredibly, while objects with values like 100.0 do not seem to be affected at all.  

Placing webs within exposed caverns works correctly, while putting them in hidden caves does not.  The issue: the web when placed in a hidden cavern appears in a spawn animation loop, and thus spawns, grows, and disappears all in a second or two before repeating itself forever.  In addition the web does not have an effect on anything in this state, as though it doesn't exist (when clearly it does).  @Cirevam suggested replacing the spawn animation with the idle animation in the .ae for it, but that did not affect anything.

Any suggestions out there for why this occurs and any thoughts on fixing it? 

Edited by Slimy Slug
Updated information

Need to test this more, obviously.  

IIRC zero will allow units to walk through it slowly without destroying the web.

It's impossible to make units move through quickly and not destroy the web... you either have:

- move at some speed and destroy the web (higher value means more speed)

- move slowly and leave the web standing (0)

although that is the results of my testing. Yours may yield new and interesting results.

while putting them in hidden caves does not

Oh! I'd encountered this but never realised it was related to the cavern being hidden. As for any reason behind it... uh.... looks like another thing that was never implemented properly. Like spiders themselves. large.OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.299864b6559440630e29f111b85cffe2.png

@Cirevam suggested replacing the spawn animation with the idle animation in the .ae for it, but that did not affect anything.

Failing this, just replace the animation itself with the idle animation. That'll always work! large.OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.299864b6559440630e29f111b85cffe2.png

... unless... y'know, you have a Sonic Blaster, which despite overwriting the explosion still always played those lights or crashed the game...

• Like 1

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

@aidenpons I put 0 for the default value so it becomes a real pain to deal with.  The whole idea behind the speed change stuff would be to make the webs not affect spiders at all.  But I guess that's not possible.  Basically my point in making the webs a nuisance is so [Redacted].  Don't want to give away all my mod's goodies now do I? :P 

I think you're right that this was never implemented properly; I'm holding out hope a solution can be found apart from remaking the game :af:.  It's a real bummer because now I'm limited to exposed caves for my web placements, meaning I'll have to put all my cards on the table at the start of a level it seems.  

Don't think replacing the actual animation will change anything, though I could be wrong (which is usually the case, lol).

18 hours ago, Slimy Slug said:

I think you're right that this was never implemented properly; I'm holding out hope a solution can be found apart from remaking the game :af:.  It's a real bummer because now I'm limited to exposed caves for my web placements, meaning I'll have to put all my cards on the table at the start of a level it seems. 

Hmm. Have you played around with mounting webs on, say, rock monsters? That would be a very... interesting... and probably hilariously unstable... method of using webs.

Also, it would be possible to just create 1x1 "caverns" in which you put your web, walling off the rest of the cavern - if you have a 1x10 corridor, you can make the square with the web on it visible from game start, but have drillable walls next to it that you'd drill over the course of your adventure. The disadvantage is that they know your "layout" of the map, but you can still keep sleeping monsters / crystal caches / slug spams hidden this way, by just showing the web.

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

Oh my.  That would be... an interesting sight.  I suspect I'll get a "LegoRR.exe has stopped working" message if I try it.

Yeah that is really my only option with placing webs unless a fix is found.  I've used 1x1 caverns before to make a river continuous, so this should work for the webs too.

• 8 months later...

Re-reading this topic, I wonder what happens if you have in the level's parameters in the cfg...

EmergeCreature SpiderWeb

Slug SpiderWeb

probably stupid stuff :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.