How to change aspect ratio of 2001 version?

Zeb

I saw a tutorial on YouTube showing how to get the game running in widescreen with the proper aspect ratio (not stretched... actual widescreen rendering), via hex-editing. However, when I checked my LEGORacers.exe, the value was located in a different spot. However, I found it using the find tool and comparing the nearby bytes to make sure it was the same code. I guess that difference might be because the guy in the video has the 1999 version and I have the 2001 version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he9labheIBk

But what I would like to know is how to make a script/executable that can modify the executable just by running the script. All I want to do is change a couple bytes. I've tried looking online for how to do this, but I haven't found anything... I'm probably using the wrong search terms or something. I know I can change the values manually, but I would like to make a script/executable to do it quickly and make it easier for other people with less technical know-how.

I was wondering if any of you guys would happen to know how to do this... I know WillKirkby made a launcher that patches some files in the game to make the main menu and cutscenes run fullscreen in higher resolutions. (Side note: the patches do work for the 2001 version, though you have to provide a dummy LEGO.JAM file in the game installation folder for the game to launch properly.) Or maybe someone has already made a script to do this and I just couldn't find it?

grappigegovert

I think the most common way is to create a patch file such as an IPS or xdelta patch. They are relatively easy to create and apply.
I've made IPS patches for playing multiplayer without controllers:

And I've turned them into automatic patchers using some ips to exe tool.
The IPS format was actually made to patch roms, and does not work with files larger than a couple of megabytes, so xdelta patches might be more fitting for non-rom files.
I'm sure there is a tool to convert xdelta patches into easy one-click executables too.

I made an Xdelta patch and uploaded it to the files database. Now I'm going to see if I can make a .exe out of it.

If someone could test this with their copy of the 2001 version of the game, let me know if it works for you or not. Actually, let me know if it just so happens to work with the 1999 version somehow as well. If anyone wants me to make patches for other aspect ratios, let me know.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, what I want isn't really an executable to modify another executable, but a launcher that could apply patches like these before launching the game. I guess I just wish I could modify WillKirkby's launcher to be able to include this patch. I suppose using a GUI for Xdelta to apply the patch to the executable is already a lot easier than directly hex-editing the game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.