Sign in to follow this  
Antithesis

Information From A Programmer From LI2 and IXS

Antithesis

Recently me and Jeb Mayers had a conversation. It should be noted he said his memory is fuzzy on some details

Me

1. In the GBC version of LI2 there was a cave and in the PC version there is some Rock Raiders stuff mixed into the game (And the dev cave at the end). By chance was the GBC version of the cave planned for PC?

2. In the GBA port LEGO Island was lot bigger, was this planned for PC?

4. In files there’s a lot of skipped numbers with the bod/bob files, were there any canned minigames/worlds for LEGO Island 2?

5. Awhile back a dev mentioned that IXS was orginally going to be a game called the Silk Road, do you know anything about it?

Jeb Mayers

Hi - so the answers for questions 1,2,3 are all no. The GBA version was actually written by a separate team and had a different design docs. Whilst the games were kept similar there were features of the PS1/PC version that just wouldn't have been possible on the GBA so sections were redesigned to make it work on the hardware and make it a better experience in 2D

4) I am not aware of anything that didn't make it in the final version, usually we keep numbering fairly loose like this during development just in case something needs to be inserted or removed. It is possible that there were more levels in earlier builds and that during the design process it was decided that levels should be merged so numbers can dissappear. As the GBA version was done by another team, I can't remember anything specifically about it I am afraid. I was mostly on the PS1/PC version

5) Yes, the initial design for the 3rd game was based around the idea of the 'Silk Road' but due to development turmoil that idea fell by the wayside and the game became IXS.

Me

Thanks, all of that interesting information. Your response to the last question has spawned a couple more questions about the Silk Road 1. How far did it get into development? (Did any file assets get made is what I mean by that) 2. Also not much exists on what the Silk Road is about, what can you remember about its story/gameplay?

Jeb Mayers

there were design documents, but as far as i know no specific assets were made for it - most of the stuff produced at that point was early development stuff and just as relevant to IXS i.e. the newer higher def mini-figs. I don't think I ever saw any of the silk road stuff, design and production kept things pretty close to their chests at that point which was problematic