LEGO Racers game controls for PC

dy_enforcer

I'm surprised that no one ever made a topic about this. 

This is in regards to the default controls from PC, not from N64 and PS1.

Since the last 18 years when my dad bought me this game, I had problems doing a technique which is called a powerslide(or drift if that's how you want to say). Powersliding to the right has no issues but powersliding to the left, it won't let me do that. Even worse, it won't let me turn left when I hold down the powerslide. 

The issue? its the spacebar on the keyboard. For some reason, there is a hardware limit for holding down the keyboards which is why the left arrow and spacebar doesn't respond. 

This is one of the reasons why I'm struggling to race on certain events like Basil and Gypsy's Circuit, Rocket Racer Run Final Circuit and Veronica Voltage's Time race aka Ice Planet pathway (86 TRIES! Yeah I counted :cry:)

Nowadays after getting back to this game at 2017. I change the powerslide control to right shift, and it works perfectly(as long as I don't press shift multiple times as it will trigger the sticky key warning). I also change the reverse control from down arrow to slash(/) key so I can easily use the Superslide, which is the advanced powerslide. Its very easy to beat the circuit and time races after I change the controls and funny enough, because of the experience I had before, it lets me be aware of what the AI is about to do. Thanks Muscle memory :thumbsup:

So just out of curiousity for those who played LEGO Racers PC. Do you happen to have the same problem that I have encountered during the late 90's to early 2000's as a kid. If so, please do share with your experience as well as when have you found out about the issue? (If played first time as an adult, sorry, it doesn't count. Please be honest)

Also, why did the developers use the spacebar as a default control? Have they not tested the game before release? or is it because some of our keyboards have different limitations to the hardware? 

5 hours ago, dy_enforcer said:

(as long as I don't press shift multiple times as it will trigger the sticky key warning)

You can disable the sticky keys popup.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-the-irritating-sticky-filter-keys-popup-dialogs/

Do you happen to have the same problem that I have encountered during the late 90's to early 2000's as a kid. If so, please do share with your experience as well as when have you found out about the issue? (If played first time as an adult, sorry, it doesn't count. Please be honest)

I'm not sure exactly how old I was when I first played LEGO Racers... But I knew what the issue was as soon as it occurred (I had encountered it in other games).

is it because some of our keyboards have different limitations to the hardware? 

Exactly this.

I don't think I ever had any issues with the spacebar not working while holding other keys 

BUT

I did have one big problem with the controls for this game for... I don't know how long. A couple of years maybe? I actually have a piece of paper somewhere where I wrote down the date that I finally beat the game for the first time because I had this problem for so long it took me ages to even get past the first circuit. Anyway the problem was that I didn't know how to use powerups. I never checked the controls in the settings, it was the Masterpiece version so there was no manual in the box, and I guess I just never tried pressing enter.

I remember having problems with spacebar+other keys in many games, especially as a kid. Nowadays I only use keyboards with anti-ghosting.

• 3 weeks later...
piotr_garschin

I needed much time (years?) before I realised that powersliding IS possible on left and right. Spacebar allowed me to powerslide only right. Now i used ''N'' key to slide.

dy_enforcer
1 hour ago, piotr_garschin said:

I needed much time (years?) before I realised that powersliding IS possible on left and right. Spacebar allowed me to powerslide only right. Now i used ''N'' key to slide.

I use the right shift key to get the powerslide easier. I also change the brake from down arrow to / to help me use the superslide technique as its beside the right shift.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.