Need help for Rock Raiders Scenario

Colinou

Hello everyone :)

I created this topic because I didn’t manage to find the information anywhere else. I’m completely new to this Forum so maybe I missed something and in that case please let me know. (I would also like to excuse myself for English mistakes I could make ^^’)

OK, so, I created this topic for a few reasons which are mainly questions I ask myself about the Rock Raiders Universe/PC-Game, and I can’t find a correct answer on my own… :/ so that is why I give it a chance on this forum since it seems appropriated.

My questions are:

1/ Before I ask my question, here is a “short” explanation of my thoughts. If we see LRR as a resource managing game like for example Age of Empire 2, then the question that comes to my mind is what is (or what could be) the final goal of the game ? (I know the goal of the LRR game is to gather enough energy crystals to RETURN HOME) Because the current goal can only lead to a game with an end which is quite limited. (making the RR get lost again would not make an interesting goal) When I say it’s limited, I compare it to a game like Age of Empire 2 which relies on kind of the same principle (gathering resources and build structures to create units), the Age of Empire 2 has something endless where two players could fight each other and this is what makes people play with the game even today. We could easily imagine a history mode for Age of Empire 2 to make it look more like RR but that’s not my point ^^. What I mean is that there is an “endless part” in one game which is not present in the other. And I think that’s what makes me question myself, which part of LRR could make it “endless” ?

I’m not saying that LRR should become a war game not at all !! (like finding energy to feed a war army, that shouldn’t be the case !) I’m just trying to think of what could make LRR more enjoyable in time other than the time needed to complete the history and any extra levels which could be added. I agree that adding more levels with different difficulties can be fun and challenging, but I feel like the Idea behind it (like the Idea behind Age of Empire 2 games is to fight, so compare with, someone else. And this is the case for many nowadays games…) is not strong enough to hold peoples for a long time.

I’m sorry if my idea isn’t very clear but it’s hard to clearly explain it ^^’. I think the final form of my question would be “What could we add to LRR to make people rely more to it ?” I know that some people (like me :D ) wouldn’t need anything else than other levels to keep playing because they love LEGO, they love ROCK RAIDERS, and they love being digging underground. Those people don’t need anything else than maybe better graphics and a few updates, but what about all the other people ? I’m asking this because I once thought “maybe there is a reason why no one (no official company) has made a new LEGO Rock Raiders Game ?” and I tried answering it but I still think that with any updates to the game, the problem will still remain unless we find something which changes the goal behind the game and which gives the possibility to people to keep playing because they rely to it.

For example one of my ideas was to make the rock raiders fight against the monsters, but then the monsters would need a base which isn’t very logical and also, fighting cannot be the main goal of the RR. They are made to dig ! so another goal needs to be found.

Okay I think that was enough ^^’ I hope you understood  my question ! the next ones will be much shorter !

2/My second question is a bit related to the first question. I was wondering what could be a multiplayer section in the LEGO Rock Raiders PC-Game ? what kind of game mechanics would you think could be challenging and interesting between today’s games ?

For example, one of my ideas was to make people find crystals as fast as possible and the first which would collect a certain amount of crystals would win. (but the problem with this is that the player can’t fully appreciate creating his base and exploring so that’s why I ask you about it)

3/My third question is maybe something we can’t talk about on this Forum ^^, but what do you guys think of Power Miners ? and more importantly, what do you guys think of Rock Raiders and Power Miners working together ? (this is just an idea which came to my mind but I wanted to know what you would think about it)

OKAY ! I think that was it for my questions :) thank you for your attention, I hope I was clear enough, and if you need any information please ask.

Thank you for reading, and in advance, thank you for all your responses ! :)

It's really hard to expand upon LRR's gameplay. I've been trying to make it a bit different with mobile Tool Stores and changing the oxygen system so vehicles affect it, but that doesn't change the core gameplay. Like you said, it's about collection, and unfortunately it can't get deeper than that unless we find a way to change the AI. A combat mode with respawning monsters that stop after a while is possible, but monster and raider AI is stupid. You could make it a Mining Laser shooting gallery if you wanted.

It's possible to make race tracks with checkpoints with LRR's systems right now. The driving physics doesn't make a great racing experience, but it could be done. I could see that as a non-combat multiplayer mode, in a perfect world.

Power Miners are neat but the color scheme is awful. The orange is fine on its own. The green is fine too, but combining them was a mistake. Also, the tiny rock monsters are like toilets. I'm not sure if they would ever work with the Rock Raiders, since PM seems to operate solely on Earth while the RRs are interplanetary.

Maybe I should have mentioned that in my first message, the point of view I'm taking is the one where everything has to be done. Imagine someone would create the game again, but with an improved game play. So the AI will be changed and let's say that "everything is possible". That's the point of view I'm taking.

I like telling myself, "Imagine there is a super programmer in front of you and you have to convince him to code your game, so you have to bring him strong arguments" in this case the game would be LRR but the previous game play isn't big enough for a nowadays game.  That's what I'm actually searching for, if we had to re-invent LEGO Rock Raiders, what would it be ? (re-inventing but still keeping the basics like base construction and mining)

How would the multiplayer mode be if there is one ?

Which history could be put around it to make it last longer ? (my idea behind this should be explained in my first Topic message)

I agree that the Power Miners are on earth and the Rock Raiders are interplanetary, but how I see it is that they both are miners teams so they could easily be mixed in a new Miners Group which is interplanetary or anything else according to the scenario we choose.

And since there is no Official and complex history about Rock Raiders and Power Miners (if there is please tell me where I could find it) why couldn't we make one on our own ?

• Colinou changed the title to Need help for Rock Raiders Scenario

Just a quick update on the purpose of this Topic:

I agree that it's quite hard to expand on LRR Gameplay, and my story might look complicated.

So I think I'll just look for any idea of Gameplay improovement including Rock Raiders, Power Miners, possible multiplayer etc.

Without taking into account the old AI, it would just be imagining what the new Rock Raider game would be if someone had to make it today.

I don't want to be insistent with this topic since it is just for me to get more ideas about the Rock Raiders Gameplay possibilities and maybe brainstorm about it.

So yeah, any ideas are welcome :)

Thank you,

Colinou

There are plenty of people who have started work on LRR remakes, but they never get finished. You can see them here and download some demos, but I don't remember any of them doing anything too much different from the original game. New gameplay is definitely possible if one of these projects ever gets close to completed. Some have shown a lot of promise... one even loaded the original game's files for full compatibility.

I'd really like to be able to create squads of raiders that can work together. Maybe I can tell some raiders armed with lasers to follow a drilling vehicle around in order to protect it, or something like that.

Thanks for the link. Before making this Topic I went through most of them already, but I did not see the Topic from StewartG called "New version of ROCK RAIDERS - update". I tried to get the main idea of that Topic, but it seems like it's an old Topic abandoned since June 2016. It had some great information, especially the long post from Polaris on page 9, but I will come back on that. So I don't know how far that project is at the moment, and when I went through the other projects, most of them were abandoned or leaved without any news, and the other ones were mostly based on an improvement of the current game.

About Polaris' post, he had great thought about the form of the Gameplay a new Rock Raider game should have. If I understood it well, he said that the system of breaking "walls" is important and that breaking blocks looked to much like the Minecraft system. I agree with him, but my question is, and I would be glad to know if you have any answer for me, how could it be possible to make the game look more real if a broken "wall" has the same size whether a simple miner broke it or a heavy vehicle ?

10 hours ago, Cirevam said:

I'd really like to be able to create squads of raiders that can work together. Maybe I can tell some raiders armed with lasers to follow a drilling vehicle around in order to protect it, or something like that.

That's actually a really cool feature I wouldn't have thought of !

A few simple things could be that :

- There should be more vehicles and more buildings with real utilities for each

- Maybe Rock Raiders and Power Miners should be mixed to make a bigger group

- The size of the broken "walls" should be related to the tool which broke it (vehicles should make bigger holes than simple miners)

You might have guessed already but, since I played LRR again and I searched for a second version (which unfortunately does not exist yet), the idea came to my mind that "hey, you would like to make a game but you don't know what to do, why not trying to make LEGO Rock Raider again since no one has done a real remastered version of the game".

So currently it's what I'm doing, trying to recreate LRR but on my own way, with my own method (that's why I first look for inspiration and scenario ideas because I want the game to be have a strong history people would stick to).

I KNOW that there have been a lot of started Topics titled "LEGO Rock Raiders Review" or anything like that, and most of then if it's not all of them did not succeed.. unfortunately. I'm not saying that I'll do better or that what they have done is bad, not at all !!! I'm just trying to give it a chance on my own since it's possible :) 

According to all the unfinished reviews, I think that bringing in a title like "NEW ROCK RAIDERS RELEASE" would be a bit to much and people might get bored with all the new Topics about making a new version of LRR

So yeah, I don't promise anything since I'm not a professional, but I'll give it a try :)

So currently, the state is just gathering ideas for the game play and what the main goal could be (if you want to learn more, read my first message on this Topic :) )

Just a last detail for those wondering, I'm not a game developer or anything,  just someone who love LEGO and the LEGO Rock Raiders PC Game and who wants to try making a game :)

Thank you for reading,

Colinou

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.