Recreating High poly LRR buildings and vehicles

Eroyal

I have spent a good month or two recreating the LRR vehicles and buildings in LeoCad/LDraw and I am now in the process of exporting them to Blender for cleanups.

You Will probably find that some vehicles like the Chrome Crusher is missing the brown cabin cage, and the Mining Laser (second to last to the right) is missing the laser. I couldn't find the parts in LDraw so I would need to make those by hand.

large_LRR.JPG.3ab6b91888e419a0329aa10e1633516e.JPG

As of taking this image (23. jan 2018) I am only 2-3% done cleaning up and recreating the bricks

Let me know what you guys think, and or improvements I would need to the middels.
You can get a closer look in my Album 

• Like 3

Looks neat. It's a shame LDraw is still missing the rollcage piece... Makes me think about making and submitting it to LDraw myself, but I dunno, with the way LDraw favors using primitives over clean geometry, I'm not sure I'd enjoy working with that.

9 hours ago, Terrev said:

Looks neat. It's a shame LDraw is still missing the rollcage piece...
with the way LDraw favors using primitives over clean geometry, I'm not sure I'd enjoy working with that.

Agreed, Just spent about 5 hours doing it myself. Found some pre-made models but they were half finished and was also in primitives :/ :

large_LRR4.JPG.1a62ce7371a9ec2a914769b76d230401.JPG

• Like 3

Hiya! I like your collection a lot. Everything looks fairly accurate. I think the lights on the electric fence got flipped 90 degrees though?

I was wondering if you'd be willing to share that roll cage piece you made. I've been making models for a bit, off and on, but that piece has perturbed me for a while. I even put in an LDraw part request in, and Philo made a model of it, but it wasn't as precise as I wanted it to be.

It looks like you made a fairly accurate version and I was wondering if you'd allow me to use it as a reference in making my own part. I have a collection of 3D bricks I made with a very particular system that I'd love to integrate this part into. I just don't have an appropriate reference at the moment.

9 hours ago, PWNZOR said:

I think the lights on the electric fence got flipped 90 degrees though?

That is an unfortunate side effect of the cleanup process. During the export LeoCad did not make each brick a shared mesh but instead made then their own, but that also made rotated bricks have a native rotated version. So as I am making each brick share a common mesh, then those who appear rotated will loos it's Rotativeness. 

9 hours ago, PWNZOR said:

I was wondering if you'd be willing to share that roll cage piece you made.

Yes, here you go. I assume this will work (.obj and .3ds): File

Looks good. Only real quirk with the shape I see is this tube extending a liiiiiittle too far, I'd cut it off where the arrow points:

Av9dYGL.png

1 hour ago, Terrev said:

Looks good. Only real quirk with the shape I see is this tube extending a liiiiiittle too far, I'd cut it off where the arrow points:

Oh yeah, I duplicated the top tube and I forgot to scale it down a little.

Edit: File should be updated now

Wowzers, impressive stuff! Did a little LDD/LeoCAD -> Blender stuff myself and did not enjoy cleaning up the mess, and that was just one small model.

What's the end goal here? Just curious if this is a purely personal project or if you've got something else in mind too.

1 hour ago, JimbobJeffers said:

What's the end goal here? Just curious if this is a purely personal project or if you've got something else in mind too.

I dont expect to even get close, but my goals are to make the models game and render ready together with animations. To hopefully be used in a remake or maybe short films.
I doubt I'll get that close, but just to have fun while I try :D 

Edit: 

Have a minifigure I made to test myself in rigging and animating. The rig is not done yet, and Im still not sure if I just want to use stop motion for the facial animation or actually animate it myself (Not sure how to properly have a 2D mesh wrap onto the head and still be riggable)
large.Minifig2.PNG.ed4fa5d5709083fca6bdfd74b2b49de1.PNG

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Terrev said:

Those are some very LDraw-ish hands it's got there :P 

That is actually not an import :P I actually followed Minifig specifications and measurements I found googling around. But yes, the hands have bad geometry when subdividing and are still not rigged for that reason.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.