Video freezes with dgVoodoo

SimplyX69

Amazed a site of this caliber exists for this game. Thought I was one of the few who loved it this much.

I've recently set out to get the game working on my desktop, and have attempted to use dgVoodoo to that end. And it works...sort of. With dgVoodoo installed and in the same location as my rock raiders installation the game now runs without the massive lag issues/graphical errors, and works quite smoothly. However, two things aren't quite right.

The most major one is that the game video will freeze. I'll be locked in the frame when it happened, and nothing ends it until I force close the game. Fascinatingly though, it's not a full game freeze. You can still hear the audio in the background progress as the rock raiders complete tasks and move around, and after some experimentation I can in fact still move the cursor around and click on things (As indicated by the sound effect). I don't know exactly what causes it as a trigger. It usually seems to be when my cursor is over top of unrevealed areas, but I don't know for sure if that's the cause.

The second that I suspect is related is with dgVoodoo itself. I've followed Cyrem's guide for installing the client and it launches, but the apply button doesn't work. I can click it, but the button remains interactable after the click, and in game I notice that it didn't work either (Namely the dgVoodoo watermark still appears in the bottom right corner despite unchecking the box for it). Clicking "ok", "cancel" and "about" all work.

My best guess is that with the resolution not able to be set it's causing the display to crash. I've attempted to redownload dgVoodoo 2.53, but to no avail.

Windows 10

GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

1 hour ago, SimplyX69 said:

Nope, happens in windowed mode as well.

Does dgVoodoo create a file called 'dgvoodoo.conf' in the same directory as the config tool?

Have you tested running the config tool in Administrator mode?

2 hours ago, Cyrem said:

Does dgVoodoo create a file called 'dgvoodoo.conf' in the same directory as the config tool?

Have you tested running the config tool in Administrator mode?

This did it. Running in admin mode let me actually apply the changes, and once the config file generated, the game stopped crashing in windowed mode. It  still crashed in full screen, but windowed is more convenient anyway.  Now to just figure out how to make the window less minuscule...

Thank you for your help!

Edit: I may have spoken too soon. Another freeze happened. I might have just gotten lucky with the last test :/

• 3 weeks later...

For me using DgVoodoo 2.53 did the trick. It took me a while to realize but version 2.54 is the cause of the freeze while 2.53 works just fine. It's not on the website anymore but you can get it here: https://web.archive.org/web/20161102082259/http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2_53.zip

You have to set the emulated GPU to "ATI Radeon 8500" so the text scales nicely at 1080p, otherwise it will be very blurry.

The link to 2.53 is right in Cyrem's guide. I don't think it was as visible before, so anyone following it now shouldn't have any problems.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.