Rock Raiders on Windows 7: DirectX error

Laurids

Hi, 

I succesfully installed Rock Raiders on Vista a few years ago thanks to your help. Now I'm trying on Windows 7 (64 bit), I don't have the CD anymore and I'm following this guide:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Lego_Rock_Raiders

But I'm running into this problem when I try to run the game. It seems simple, but I don't know how to fix it. I have DirectX 11. Thanks!

8btnfMw.png

I see you're already using dgVoodoo. Enure all the DLL's from dgVoodoo's MS folder are in the same folder as the LegoRR.exe as well as the d3drm dll.

You could try to install DirectX 6, It shouldn't effect Dx11. Otherwise try a compatibility mode for an older system.

I tried pretty much everything on the guide. Compatibility for 98/ME and XP (3rd pack), Vista. Disabled visual themes, desktop composition. Run as administrator. Copy D3DRM.DLL to the folder. Copy and replace with LegoRR.exe from "LEGO Rock Raiders Masterpiece edition executable".

Screen automatically changes to the right format (640x480).

gpOgKw3.png

I downloaded directX6 from a website and it installed. I don't know how to check if it's installed - when I go to start and search dxdiag, it says I have DirectX 11, and after googling this it sounds like you can't uninstall DirectX 11. DirectX doesn't appear in "programs and functions".

I got dgVoodoo 2.53 because I read that the newest version can cause problems with this game.

So is it still showing the same error despite installing Dx6? Have you played with the dgVoodoo Config tool? (it comes in the zip).

By the way, you don't want to uninstall Dx11, that'd unleash caos. You just want some of the DLL's from the Dx6 package.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue here, the error is still showing saying that DirectX 6 is not installed, however I have DirectX 12. Also played around with the dgVoodoo config tool and nothing seems to work. Any help/advice would be massively appreciated!

If you're available next week, I may be able to come up with a fix for this, but will need you to do a couple of tests for me as I dont have this error.

1 minute ago, Kostecki said:

I have the exact same problem. Followed all the guides, copied all the files. No luck.

This seems to be a new issue, not really encounted that much until now. Like Kaden, if you're willing to try an experiment next week to fix this that'd be great.

1 minute ago, Cyrem said:

This seems to be a new issue, not really encounted that much until now. Like Kaden, if you're willing to try an experiment next week to fix this that'd be great.

Absolutely. I'm ready.

I just realized that the thread is about Windows 7. I'm actually having these problem on Windows 10 :S

23 minutes ago, Kostecki said:

Absolutely. I'm ready.

I just realized that the thread is about Windows 7. I'm actually having these problem on Windows 10 :S

All good, OS doesnt matter for this case. Ill send you and @Kaden a pm over the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. I am running windows 7, and have troubleshooted to the best of my ability, everything from compatibility to DLL file locations. I could not find a solution online, so if a solution was found through your discussions and troubleshooting in private messages, I would love to be enlightened :D
WLyFHWx.png

Hey Shank, no not yet sorry.

Do you happen to be using a Laptop, or is your graphics card an Intel HD 3000 or similar? (run "dxdiag" from Start menu to see)

Thanks for the reply. I am using a MacBook Pro 2012 retina model. It has an Intel HD4000 and an Nvidia 650m in it, but it's only using the 650m. I'm running Windows 7 through Parallels, which runs a "virtual" windows. The reason virtual is in quotes because it is more of an interpreter, since it is running on the x86-64 processor natively with interpertation rather than through emulation. However, it seems that Parallels does not support OpenGL, which is a nessessary component of DirectX11, so that could be the problem. When I have time, I'll reinstall Windows through a separate partition, boot into windows natively (not through Parallels) and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks for the input, if you could try that, that'd be good.

So far I'm noticing the consistency of Laptop with intel integrated graphics.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Nostalgia_Addict

I'm probably late on this, but I may have figured out how to get around this DirectX 6 error message. Hope you find this helpful.

I have also experienced the same exact issue that everyone on this thread has. I followed all the guides here to the T about how to run Rock Raiders on Windows 10. What I found out is that if you did the steps for configuring dgVoodoo, you end up with this DirectX 6 error message.

What I did was I deleted the 3 DLL files from my LRR installation directory which are D3D8.dll, D3Dlmm.dll, and DDraw.dll. And then I also deleted dgVoodooSetup.exe and dgVoodoo.conf.

However, DO NOT DELETE d3drm.dll

You need to keep that file which you downloaded from this site in your LRR installation directory.

Then right-click LegoRR.exe and click Properties. Go to Compatibility tab and under Compatibility mode check the box and select Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Check the box Reduced color mode and select 16bit (65536) color. Check the box Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution. Check Run this program as an administrator. Then click apply.

Now run LegoRR.exe and then when the Mode Selection window pops up, choose the Window Mode and then make sure Direct3D HAL is selected. The box on the bottom right will highlight 640x480. You want to run this game in Windowed mode because the game LAGS like crazy on fullscreen mode. You can also hide the bottom taskbar if it is blocking the window.

And VIOLA! My Lego Rock Raiders runs great!

I am using HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook laptop and it runs on Windows 10. It has Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 and runs on DirectX 12.

TL;DR: Don't do the dgVoodoo steps in the guides. Follow the first few steps, but when you get to the part where you do the dgVoodoo stuff, STOP right there. Configure the properties of LegoRR.exe and run Lego Rock Raiders in Windowed Mode at 640x480.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.