[SOLUTION] Lego Rock Raiders on Windows 10

Das Glückskekschen

Honeywithfangs

Heya, I'm back again!

So, I've got the game working (Thank you so much for being patient and getting me this far!!!)

New problem

The game appears to launch in black and white. Except when an animation happens, then the area of the screen with the animation runs in full colour. I've looked around for a guide to fix this but I'm not certain what I'm looking for XP

Edited by Honeywithfangs
I managed to fix the original problem

mattbatcraz
On 4/28/2019 at 11:29 PM, aidenpons said:

Have you run through all of the steps here? There's a decent amount that needs to be done...

... Also, what's your OS?

Yes I'm aware and have followed the steps in this guide as well, I am running Win10.

Update: after watching the load sequence a few times, it seems the loading bar freaks out at the end and moves back and forth before the game crashes out.

• 2 weeks later...
Thorinair

I am close, like really really close to get this to work!

I have the game running on Windows 10, in windowed, without lag, with decreased desktop resolution (so it matches the game), cinematics play, music plays, etc. Just one little thing left: Getting this specific "window repositioning" fixer to work. You see, to get the cinematics running, I have to run the game in Windows XP (SP2) compatibility, yet this is the ONLY compatibility setting that doesn't work with this fix from this post.

When running the fix without admin, the window simply flashes, but doesn't change its location. When running the fix with admin, the window's location does go into the right spot in the screen, but the image remains permanently frozen. The fix works perfectly fine even without admin with all other compatibility modes, but ofc the cinematics don't work in those...

Any chance that you could maybe update this fix so it works when the game runs in WinXP compatibility as well?

EDIT: Part of the problem seems to be that when setting to Windows XP compatibility, the game will run in admin mode regardless of anything.

EDIT2: Solved! If anyone else runs into this issue, the best fix is to open the command line (cmd.exe) as administrator, navigate to the folder your game is in and after running the game, start the rr-fix.exe through the command line! This will avoid the Windows 10 prompt for admin permissions and avoid bricking (pun intended) the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, newbie here.

I've followed all the fixes on here several times.

I'm running windows 10, but I have tried the windows 98/me compatibility as well as xp/sp2.

in every situation my resolution will drop to the correct resolution then turns black then changes back to my default resolution without starting the game.

I don't have enough time to right-click the fix in that small window of opportunity.

Das Glückskekschen
On 6/10/2019 at 7:40 AM, DIRTYGIRTY45 said:

can you make a video tutorial? it is still not working

I don´t think that will help..
I know that my fix doesn't work on all modern Systems.
Some users had send me their rr files, on my two systems it works perfectly, on their systems not.

Same questions as usual.. which version do you have?

On 6/7/2019 at 5:21 PM, Pyrogeth said:

Hello, newbie here.

I've followed all the fixes on here several times.

I'm running windows 10, but I have tried the windows 98/me compatibility as well as xp/sp2.

in every situation my resolution will drop to the correct resolution then turns black then changes back to my default resolution without starting the game.

I don't have enough time to right-click the fix in that small window of opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...
Jamesjayzero

Hello. Thanks for the solution. But i have a problem ofmy own with it. The text in the game is all clustered. My guess is probably because it's a different language (russian) so i may just need to find the english version.

Das Glückskekschen

Try to re-install it, in english. When your game-cd has that language...
If not, I can Upload my files for you.
I hope that I don't get  banned or something for this. ?

Jamesjayzero

Don't worry. I've found english version somewhere. But now i don't have any cutscenes, and the game sometimes crashes.

10 hours ago, Jamesjayzero said:

Don't worry. I've found english version somewhere. But now i don't have any cutscenes, and the game sometimes crashes.

"Game has no cutscenes" is simply due to them not being in the game folder :P

If you still have the disc, you can copy them from Data\AVI on the disk to Data\AVI in your LRR directory. Alternatively, download them here:

https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/lego_rock_raiders/resources/rock-raiders-avi-cutscenes-r296/

and extract those into your Data\AVI folder.

You may also need to download and install this, the codec for playing the videos:

https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/lego_rock_raiders/resources/indeo-iv50-avi-codec-r111/

but I am unsure how necessary this is.

As for "the game sometimes crashes," it's LRR, it does that. Sonic Blasters are a known problem, and the game sometimes just breaks and blows up. For me, this isn't any more than three times an evening though (usually...), so if you can't complete levels before it crashes you may have a problem.

(Cf. also this)

• 3 weeks later...
AlphaEagle231

Im Having issues again, I did what the instuctions said but however, everytime i try to launch the game it just instantly stops working without even launching

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've followed all your steps but when I launch the game it just crashes to desktop, doesn't even load in and when I right click on the RR Fix and run as admin it doesn't load anything up.

My system is windows 10 

GTX 1060 

I5 core 

using the game version from your folder that has "NoCD" in its name

Das Glückskekschen
8 hours ago, man1312 said:

Hi, I've followed all your steps but when I launch the game it just crashes to desktop, doesn't even load in and when I right click on the RR Fix and run as admin it doesn't load anything up. 

My system is windows 10 

GTX 1060 

I5 core 

using the game version from your folder that has "NoCD" in its name

Just to be sure, do you see the "Mode Selection", like in my Screenshot on page one?
Because it will only work with that.

I have no idea what can fix that, when the game crashes with the "Mode Selection".

19 hours ago, Das Glückskekschen said:

Just to be sure, do you see the "Mode Selection", like in my Screenshot on page one?
Because it will only work with that.

I have no idea what can fix that, when the game crashes with the "Mode Selection".

Thanks for getting back to me so soon, I've got the game running now and I'm using the "Mode Selection" like in your screen shot but the problem I have now is its not full screen it's in its own little window that doesn't quite fit the screen, like a bit of the game's window is cut off, and also its very laggy, can you help me out a bit please?

Das Glückskekschen
On 8/16/2019 at 5:12 PM, man1312 said:

Thanks for getting back to me so soon, I've got the game running now and I'm using the "Mode Selection" like in your screen shot but the problem I have now is its not full screen it's in its own little window that doesn't quite fit the screen, like a bit of the game's window is cut off, and also its very laggy, can you help me out a bit please?

"now is its not full screen it's in its own little window that doesn't quite fit the screen"
--> That's what my little program should fix.

Are you sure, that you followed my instructions correctly?

19 hours ago, Das Glückskekschen said:

"now is its not full screen it's in its own little window that doesn't quite fit the screen"
--> That's what my little program should fix.

Are you sure, that you followed my instructions correctly?

Well that's the thing, I think I have reinstalled it right, I'm right clicking and using as admin, but every time it opens (RR is running at the same time) a small black window opens then closes again state away and I can't see if its still open cos I can't see my task bar and every time I do Shift + Tab , I don't see the RR Fix program 

Das Glückskekschen
On 8/20/2019 at 9:29 PM, man1312 said:

Well that's the thing, I think I have reinstalled it right, I'm right clicking and using as admin, but every time it opens (RR is running at the same time) a small black window opens then closes again state away and I can't see if its still open cos I can't see my task bar and every time I do Shift + Tab , I don't see the RR Fix program 

My program will directly close after the start, that's fine and when there is no error Message, then I don't know why my program isn't working.

So you followed my steps correctly and you picked the 640x480 Resoulution + 16 Bit Mode  in the properties?

Well, I have a few Messages in this thread which had the same issue.

For one person was the solution, that the version of the game was not the same.
He had a newer one like this: click

Which version of the game do you have?

16 minutes ago, Das Glückskekschen said:

My program will directly close after the start, that's fine and when there is no error Message, then I don't know why my program isn't working.

So you followed my steps correctly and you picked the 640x480 Resoulution + 16 Bit Mode  in the properties?

Well, I have a few Messages in this thread which had the same issue.

For one person was the solution, that the version of the game was not the same.
He had a newer one like this: click

Which version of the game do you have?

Aye yes I've picked 640x480 resolution and 16 Bit Mode, the version of the game I have is the original one from 1999 on disk 

Das Glückskekschen

Anti

On 8/23/2019 at 1:49 AM, man1312 said:

Aye yes I've picked 640x480 resolution and 16 Bit Mode, the version of the game I have is the original one from 1999 on disk 

Antivirus software?

2 hours ago, Das Glückskekschen said:

Anti

Antivirus software?

Don't think so, would it be easier if I record my screen and show you what I'm doing and show it to you?

Das Glückskekschen
On 8/25/2019 at 10:16 PM, man1312 said:

Don't think so, would it be easier if I record my screen and show you what I'm doing and show it to you?

Yeah, why not.

Maybe it will help.

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2017 at 4:10 PM, Das Glückskekschen said:

Hi there, I've done all the steps but when I run LegoRR.exe my screen goes black for a second, then nothing happens.

When I try running your "rr-fix" it says "error: please start Lego Rock Raiders first !!!"

Any thoughts?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.