[SOLUTION] Lego Rock Raiders on Windows 10

Das Glückskekschen

Das Glückskekschen
On 7/16/2018 at 6:18 PM, Das Glückskekschen said:

Maybe you have a copy protected version which won't use this mode selection.

Check if the "LegoRR.icd" file is bigger than 0kb.
1. Solution: try this: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/guides/lego-rock-raiders/lrr-windows-10-setup-guide-safedisc-version-r4/

2. Solution: Get a non-protected version 

• 2 weeks later...

You can go into the properties of rr-fix.exe and set it to run in administrative mode automatically and add it to your task bar, this way you do not need to adjust your desktop for fullscreen.

• 5 weeks later...
DingoAtTheCtrlr

I placed the D3DRM.DLL file into the directory but when trying to launch it still says that that file is missing. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

So thanks to all of you I managed to install LRR on my Windows 10 64bit laptop and get it running.

However, now at some point while playing the screen just freezes. The game goes on -- I can still hear the poor Rock Raiders mining -- but I cannot see nor operate, the screen is frozen including the cursor.

I have tried using the newest version of dgVoodoo, I have tried using Windows's Compatibility Mode and all its options (truth be told: I haven't fully tried all options, since in every mode up to Windows XP (service pack 3) my saved game disappears and additionally the colours are off in 95 and 98, so I didn't go beyond the menu), I have tried different settings of dgVoodoo, but nothing seems to work. Also, I have no idea why the screen freezes. I haven't been able to distinguish a pattern in the moment (sometimes it's five seconds into game play, sometimes over half an hour) or the action either me or the computer is doing when it happens.

It gets really annoying, as I have now reached the longer missions and can't get past them because the screen freezes about halfway.

Is there anyone who can help me with this?

By the way: I have the Dutch re-issue from 2004 (if I remember correctly). It works without cd.

Das Glückskekschen
On 9/17/2018 at 6:50 AM, MadGamer said:

You can go into the properties of rr-fix.exe and set it to run in administrative mode automatically and add it to your task bar, this way you do not need to adjust your desktop for fullscreen.

That's clever :shades:

On 10/16/2018 at 1:55 PM, DingoAtTheCtrlr said:

I placed the D3DRM.DLL file into the directory but when trying to launch it still says that that file is missing. Any ideas?

Copy it in " C:\Windows\System32" and try to start it again.

Das Glückskekschen
9 hours ago, Pindakäse said:

So thanks to all of you I managed to install LRR on my Windows 10 64bit laptop and get it running.

However, now at some point while playing the screen just freezes. The game goes on -- I can still hear the poor Rock Raiders mining -- but I cannot see nor operate, the screen is frozen including the cursor.

I have tried using the newest version of dgVoodoo, I have tried using Windows's Compatibility Mode and all its options (truth be told: I haven't fully tried all options, since in every mode up to Windows XP (service pack 3) my saved game disappears and additionally the colours are off in 95 and 98, so I didn't go beyond the menu), I have tried different settings of dgVoodoo, but nothing seems to work. Also, I have no idea why the screen freezes. I haven't been able to distinguish a pattern in the moment (sometimes it's five seconds into game play, sometimes over half an hour) or the action either me or the computer is doing when it happens.

It gets really annoying, as I have now reached the longer missions and can't get past them because the screen freezes about halfway.

Is there anyone who can help me with this?

By the way: I have the Dutch re-issue from 2004 (if I remember correctly). It works without cd. 

Sorry to hear that but remember the game is old (and windows is one of the baddest programed operating systems :)

I had sometimes the same issue, that it freezes, when I play one of the longer missions.
You can try it with an old version of dgVoodoo.
http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2_53.zip

On my Laptop I don't had this issue anymore after using that version, on my PC it's still the same.

i try using your method, but for some reason each time i try to launch Lego rock raiders my monitor goes black for a few seconds and reverts to normal like nothing happened. I have two monitors btw. and when i use  Dgvoodo same thing happens... i also try using windows7 on virtual machine but with that my resolution changes and it says Lego rock raiders isn't working... you have a fix for this mess?

Das Glückskekschen
16 hours ago, calcasey09 said:

i try using your method, but for some reason each time i try to launch Lego rock raiders my monitor goes black for a few seconds and reverts to normal like nothing happened. I have two monitors btw. and when i use  Dgvoodo same thing happens... i also try using windows7 on virtual machine but with that my resolution changes and it says Lego rock raiders isn't working... you have a fix for this mess? 

Which version of the game do you use?

6 hours ago, Das Glückskekschen said:

Which version of the game do you use?

I don't really know the version of the game, i'd have to check, i Don't have a *real* copy of the game.  I downloaded it using ISO from Abandonware or some other website.

It doesn't really say the version. i both used the regular installer and the alternate without getting any new results.  do you have an download for it, for some other version that works?

The LegoRR.exe executable should have a Date Modified from sometime in 1999 or maybe a bit later for one of the re-releases. Tell us what that is. The size of that file will also give us some hints.

1 minute ago, Cirevam said:

The LegoRR.exe executable should have a Date Modified from sometime in 1999 or maybe a bit later for one of the re-releases. Tell us what that is. The size of that file will also give us some hints.

The date of LegoRR.exe was "9/27/1999" at 11:42 am *edit: the size of the exe was 752 KB*

• 1 month later...
raptor1234567

Bump

Just downloaded and installed the Game but the same thing as mentioned by calcasey09 happens to me. I start the LegoRR.exe , the screen goes black for 5 seconds and then closes again and thats it.

Help would be much appreciated, Version is also 9/27/1999

1 hour ago, raptor1234567 said:

Bump

Just downloaded and installed the Game but the same thing as mentioned by calcasey09 happens to me. I start the LegoRR.exe , the screen goes black for 5 seconds and then closes again and thats it.

Help would be much appreciated, Version is also 9/27/1999

Are your "DirectPlay" Legacy Features active?

Hi!! Sorry to open up a topic after a couple of months, but I'm having a problem that I can't get the "Mode Selection" Window to appear. 

I'm using Windows 10, 64 bits, 1080p monitor resollution, but after a clean install I just can't get that window to appear :( 

Because of this, I can't try neither this rr-fix.exe solution, nor the Voodoo solution :( 

I'm so confused and I'd love the help.

Thanks in advantage for it!

• Like 1

It's not hiding behind a window, is it? Hit Win+D to minimize everything, then click on one window to get it back up, then minimize that window; if the box is there, it should appear.

What's much more likely is that your version is copy protected:

On 9/3/2018 at 6:37 AM, Das Glückskekschen said:

Maybe you have a copy protected version which won't use this mode selection.

Check if the "LegoRR.icd" file is bigger than 0kb.
1. Solution: try this: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/guides/lego-rock-raiders/lrr-windows-10-setup-guide-safedisc-version-r4/

2. Solution: Get a non-protected version 

In which case you'll need to do a little googling to find a non-protected version, and RRU can't help you with that (by choice)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2018 at 5:59 PM, Das Glückskekschen said:

Which version do you use and please tell me your System Specs.

• CPUIntel Pentium G4400 @ 3.30GHz, Duo Core, Duo Logical Processors
  • Motherboard
    ASUSTek? (Custom computer from a friend, doesn't say the model...)
  • RAM
    8.00 GB
  • Graphics Card
    AMD Radeon HD 7400 Series
  • OS
    Windows 10 Home

• 2 weeks later...
Honeywithfangs

Hi

I followed the instructions but the game refuses to even launch. I get asked if I want to allow the program to make changes, I click yes, the screen shifts mode, I click on the fix and the screen goes back to normal but at no point in that process does the game appear to launch.

Any idea what the problem might be?

14 minutes ago, Honeywithfangs said:

Hi

I followed the instructions but the game refuses to even launch. I get asked if I want to allow the program to make changes, I click yes, the screen shifts mode, I click on the fix and the screen goes back to normal but at no point in that process does the game appear to launch.

Any idea what the problem might be?

This fix application only moves the window to 0,0 position, so your issue is probably one of the several other compatibility issues.

Firstly, is your game the protected version? You can find this out by seeing if your "LegoRR.icd" file is greater than 0kb. If it is, you have a protected version which can't run because Microsoft removed the Safedisc drivers from Windows. There are ways to get around it, but they're a little bit of work. It's easier to get yourself a no-cd version of the game (Masterpiece Release).

Second, try running the game in Windowed Mode.

Thirdly, If you have an unprotected version and you have an AMD graphics card, this is probably what is causing it. AMD and LRR do not get along well. I recommend following this guide.

Forthly, If it's still crashing before you see anything it could be that you do not have the needed Indeo Codec to play the game video's. Download this file. If you're running WIndows 10 the installer probably won't work, so just follow the intructions in the README file for installing the DLL.

If you've done all of those things and it's still not starting up, your issue may require further investigation.

Hope this helps you.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It is 2019 and I want to play my original copy of LRR.

I have an Asus Laptop (windows 8.1) and I think it's too powerful to play a 20-year-old game like this. I have followed the instructions from DG, downloaded the rr-fix and .dll file.

I have been unable to access the dialogue box (the white one with RGB/Direct3D) but I did change it to run 16 bit, and 640x480 resolution by editing the properties of the 'standard' and 'enhanced' version of my game.

The most successful I have been is getting the screen to go black, the resolution to drop to that of a potato, and then go back to normal with a dialogue box reading "did it work, should we run the troubleshooter?"

I do have a tower with windows 10, but it doesn't have a disc drive on it. I was just really fiending for a nostalgic trip tonight and I am super disappointed I can't run it tonight. any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Honeywithfangs
On 1/9/2019 at 11:06 PM, Cyrem said:

This fix application only moves the window to 0,0 position, so your issue is probably one of the several other compatibility issues.

Firstly, is your game the protected version? You can find this out by seeing if your "LegoRR.icd" file is greater than 0kb. If it is, you have a protected version which can't run because Microsoft removed the Safedisc drivers from Windows. There are ways to get around it, but they're a little bit of work. It's easier to get yourself a no-cd version of the game (Masterpiece Release).

Second, try running the game in Windowed Mode.

Thirdly, If you have an unprotected version and you have an AMD graphics card, this is probably what is causing it. AMD and LRR do not get along well. I recommend following this guide.

Forthly, If it's still crashing before you see anything it could be that you do not have the needed Indeo Codec to play the game video's. Download this file. If you're running WIndows 10 the installer probably won't work, so just follow the intructions in the README file for installing the DLL.

If you've done all of those things and it's still not starting up, your issue may require further investigation.

Hope this helps you.

Heya

Super helpful!!!

And I'm sorry, I realise I'm responding to this many months later :P

I checked the LegoRR.icd file and it would seem it is the protected version. How do I go about getting a hold of this Masterpiece Release?

lol username
2 minutes ago, Honeywithfangs said:

Heya

Super helpful!!!

And I'm sorry, I realise I'm responding to this many months later :P

I checked the LegoRR.icd file and it would seem it is the protected version. How do I go about getting a hold of this Masterpiece Release?

It's available here:

• Like 1

mattbatcraz
9 hours ago, jamesster said:

It's available here:

this ALMOST worked, it got to the splash screen but crashed right as I try to launch a mission or even the tutorials...

22 hours ago, mattbatcraz said:

this ALMOST worked, it got to the splash screen but crashed right as I try to launch a mission or even the tutorials...

Have you run through all of the steps here? There's a decent amount that needs to be done...

... Also, what's your OS?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.