Rock Raiders Crashes before Saving (Windows 10)

Artorias

Hello everyone.

To start, I've recently been trying to play good ol' Rock Raiders on my new PC, and I managed to get it installed and running successfully following the advice found in earlier forums (specifically following these instructions).

The issue is that after playing a level (specifically the very first level, and I can't progress past this so I'm unsure if this would apply to other levels), the game goes to the screen where it gives you a score. It gives all the percentages, but right after the "time taken" score is given and before the Chief holds up the clipboard giving me the total score, the game crashes. I've messed around with some settings here and there, but it crashes at the point no matter what I do. Normally I would just deal with it, but I can't progress to other levels since it crashes before I can save. Which is mighty annoying. I've searched for advice on this forum and elsewhere on the interwebs, but i haven't been able to find anything helpful so far.

A bit of info about my computer if it helps:

OS - Windows 10 64 bit

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 980Ti

As I said before, I followed the instructions (linked earlier) including downloading the new d3drm.dll and the LegoRR1.wad that were provided. Interesting little factoid, if I try to remove the existing LegoRR0.wad, the game will not start at all, so I have the new RR1.wad, and the old RR0.wad. I'm not sure if that would be the reason why I'm having trouble, considering I don't know what those files actually are.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you all ahead of time :D

It sounds like an issue with the FLC/H files (the animated BMPs used for that and various main menu animations). Several other people have had this issue but I'm not sure we ever figured out what caused it or how to fix it - I've even encountered it between different versions of the game on the same hardware and OS, with no consistency between which installs it did and didn't happen on.

In the meantime, starting the game with the command line parameters -reduceflics and/or -reward should disable the offending flics.

• 5 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.