LEGO Racers Czech version

CaptainGolem

I knew that a Czech version of LR exists, but I never found anything about it except some low quality screenshots. However, I have found someone who actually owns the game, and I got to take a look at it.

Here's a video:

I'll Czech it out

Do any of the minor racers in circuits 2, 3, and 7 have different names too?

also is the font for the timer completely changed? I don't remember it being that narrow and weird.

14 hours ago, Jessietail said:

also is the font for the timer completely changed? I don't remember it being that narrow and weird.

14 hours ago, Red60 said:

Wow, the font for the timer and place are really generic.

Yes, the font for numbers is different. I was really surprised by how horrible it looks, but I somehow got used to it after playing for a while.

14 hours ago, Jessietail said:

Do any of the minor racers in circuits 2, 3, and 7 have different names too?

Yes, and some of them are really stupid. I feel like the translators were handed a list of things to translate without even seeing the actual gameplay, because the translations are often absolutely unfitting.

4 hours ago, CaptainGolem said:

Yes, and some of them are really stupid. I feel like the translators were handed a list of things to translate without even seeing the actual gameplay, because the translations are often absolutely unfitting.

Just out of curiosity, can you give any examples? I don't speak Czech, but I love me some bad translations.

11 hours ago, LimeKiller said:

Just out of curiosity, can you give any examples? I don't speak Czech, but I love me some bad translations.

was kinda hoping for all of them, its just 12 other racers besides the names seen in that video right? and veronica voltage too I guess... where are language files stored again?

edit: oh this is my 6500th post

Sorry for the long wait, here are the boss cutscenes:

Spoiler

and here are the NPC names:

Spoiler

Ir3hA4k.png

Spoiler

VvCYPRy.png

Spoiler

1AXrPdJ.png

Spoiler

SlUcrgg.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see what you mean about the names being disinterested translations of the English ones. A lot of them seemed more or less the same to me, speaking as someone who doesn't speak Czech and used google translate, but these ones are pretty funny:

Governor Broadside -> Governor Attacker

Royal King -> King of Kings

Alpha Dragonis -> Alpha Dragon

Sam Sinister -> Threatening Sam

Blackjack Hawkins -> Black Peter

Basil the Batlord -> Basil the Warrior

Nova Hunter -> Hunter

Gail Storm -> Thunderbolt

The fact that "Alpha Dragon" goes off of the English version's typo of Alpha Draconis is about as clear an indicator as we could get that these names were directly translated from the English game - which is interesting, considering the other languages available on my US copy all appear to use the proper regional names for the characters, as determined by Lego.

15 hours ago, Pereki said:

I see what you mean about the names being disinterested translations of the English ones. A lot of them seemed more or less the same to me, speaking as someone who doesn't speak Czech and used google translate, but these ones are pretty funny:

Governor Broadside -> Governor Attacker

Royal King -> King of Kings

Alpha Dragonis -> Alpha Dragon

Sam Sinister -> Threatening Sam

Blackjack Hawkins -> Black Peter

Basil the Batlord -> Basil the Warrior

Nova Hunter -> Hunter

Gail Storm -> Thunderbolt

The fact that "Alpha Dragon" goes off of the English version's typo of Alpha Draconis is about as clear an indicator as we could get that these names were directly translated from the English game - which is interesting, considering the other languages available on my US copy all appear to use the proper regional names for the characters, as determined by Lego.

Oops, now I realize I forgot to translate it for everyone, but I guess Google Translate did the job well. Sorry about that!

The first 2 circuits were kind of alright to me except Robo-Hood (What the hell? He has nothing to do with robots...), but the third circuit really caught me off guard. "Basil the Warrior" doesn't give the Czech translation enough credit - the "basil" is translated as "bazalka", which means the herb used for cooking (Ocimum basilicum). It's absolutely ridiculous and doesn't fit him at all. I laughed hard when I saw it, but I was disappointed at the same time.

Then you have Alpha Dragonis, or more like Alpha Dragoness because "dračice" is a translation for female dragon.

The last circuit was pretty bad too. "Hromburác" is the name of a bear in a Czech cartoon for kids and it could be translated as something like "Thunderrumble", and they just ignored the "Nova" in Nova Hunter because that would take too much effort to translate or something. Now that I mentioned it, Gypsy Moth is also translated as simply "Moth".

Now about the cutscenes - some of them are broken. Basil the Batlord's second part of the cutscene has glitched text sometimes, just like the text when Rocket Racer appears. Now that I mention Rocket Racer - we see his name after he stops talking, so the whole monologue feels like I'm reading a letter. And when you win his car set, instead of seeing "You have won Rocket Racer's car set!", you see "You won a race of rocket cars!". Gypsy Moth doesn't describe herself as a "veteran pilot" (meaning experienced), but an "old veteran", and King Kahuka is threatening to beat you up (physically hurt you). Truly a high quality translation.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.