Changing textures on models with a hex editor

lol username

LR2's models specify the paths of the textures they use. These can be easily changed with a hex editor.

Let's look at PLAYER1.MD2, which is the blue helmet with goggles. I'm using HxD but most hex editors will work the same way.

JAYsTxf.png

Right away, there's an obvious texture path. Immediately after it is 00, which tells the game that's the end of the path - I've selected it in the screenshot. After that is a bunch of useless garbage data... Usually, just pieces of other texture paths that somehow ended up in the file, but aren't actually used for anything.

Also note that texture paths here end in .TGA, despite the textures in the game data ending in .MIP. Don't worry about this; if you're changing a texture path, end it in .TGA, like the existing texture paths do.

Let's replace col_black.tga with col_yellow.tga. Note that we also make sure that there's a 00 after the path, to signify the end:

pTP2qm8.gif

And presto:

XtKHUfn.png

So I'm doing everything shown above. However when I test it in game it switches back to the original color. I'm doing the opposite switching yellow to black I can only see it behind the character since the face textures is black

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.