3DXML to OBJ - Converts LDD model captures to OBJ

lol username

MineTimelapser
5 minutes ago, TheDiplomat said:

Huh. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, then. I ran the installer, it finished without issue, and then I tried running the resulting executable. But all that happens is I see a little "3DVIA Printscreen" appear at the bottom-right of my screen, it disappears after a moment, and the process can be sitting idly when viewed in the Task Manager. So I thought, "okay, maybe there's no UI, it just waits for a hotkey or something", but then that doesn't explain how to change the configuration (or the fact that there are screenshots online of a UI)... So I tried googling and the best I could find was that my OS was just the problem, but if that's not it, I'm at a loss. :S

Try to right-click the 3dvia icon in your task bar and go to settings there. It indeed has very few UI and is just activated by the hotkey set there (F10 in my case). Also make sure to have a double-check on the setup points in the original post such as launching the program before opening LDD.

• Like 1

Another thing to try, if your computer has multiple graphics processors, is to try switching LDD to another one of them than the default. I have both an NVIDIA card and integrated graphics on this laptop, and 3DVIA Printscreen will only capture from LDD if LDD is running on integrated graphics:

OcOOk62.png

In fact, if 3DVIA Printscreen is open, some programs will freeze or not appear to launch if they're using the NVIDIA card. So, I've got LDD, 3DXML to OBJ, and misc other programs like Discord all set to use integrated graphics so 3DVIA Printscreen doesn't give them trouble.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help! Turns out I was just looking for the settings in the wrong place, hehe. Didn't look for it in the "hidden icons". Whoops. Anyway, now that I'm able to try it out, this is an amazing tool, Terrev. Thanks for sharing it here!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Terrev - Thank you for such a wonderful conversion tool.

I wonder if you could help me with the conversion? I'm trying the 3DXML to OBJ conversion to make individual bricks - but  I'm not getting anywhere.

I tried unselecting "Weld duplicate vertices" to see if a side effect was separating the bricks - but that's exactly what it sounds, as you know!

I tried setting color variation - but everything turned red, and when all the bricks where selected as one.

Please could you help?

I want to split the bricks so I can move them in "post-production" - for instance scatter them out of a hole in a wall using 3D Builder, and set materials per-brick.

In Kerkythea when I select a brick ALL the bricks with the same material are selected, I checked the OBJ file, and saw they're one object in the file.

Many thanks!

Sarah

Hm, I'm not sure I have a good solution for this - LDD automatically batches many bricks of the same material together, since rendering one big mesh is more efficient than rendering hundreds of smaller ones, which keeps LDD running smoothly even with big models. The only way around it would be to keep LDD from doing it this in the first place.

The only potential solution I can think of would be to give each brick in the model a material not used anywhere else in the model. This would work similarly to color variation - you'd modify LDD's Materials.xml file to add custom materials (they can be visually identical to each other, just separately defined), then edit the LXF/LXFML to use them. The problem is that you'd need as many materials as there are bricks in the model, which would lead to a very bulky Materials.xml file... I'll look into it though, unless anyone has a better idea.

Edit: Oh, I just remembered - there IS an entirely separate method of converting LDD models that could serve your purposes. It doesn't really have anything to do with 3DXML files so I'll send you a PM about it once I get home a little later tonight, or something like that... I'm not sure you'd be able to access the PM feature until you have at least 3 posts though. Maybe we could use email, or you could just make two more posts somewhere (sorry for the hassle haha).

Another edit: Tried sending a PM to you but it said you can't receive them yet, blech. I just sent it to myself for the time being, once you have 3 posts I can add you to the conversation I guess... Sorry, this limit wasn't my idea haha.

• 3 months later...

I know that this is an old topic but I'm running into a problem. Every model I try to convert keeps messing up. I capture the models with 3DVia Printscreen and it captures it all because I've checked on the 3DVia Player but when I try to convert it to OBJ it only converts one part of it. For example when I try to convert an entire minifigure, it only converts one of it's legs or if I have just the torso, it only converts the arms. I would really appreciate some help.

lol username
2 hours ago, KHD1 said:

I know that this is an old topic but I'm running into a problem. Every model I try to convert keeps messing up. I capture the models with 3DVia Printscreen and it captures it all because I've checked on the 3DVia Player but when I try to convert it to OBJ it only converts one part of it. For example when I try to convert an entire minifigure, it only converts one of it's legs or if I have just the torso, it only converts the arms. I would really appreciate some help.

Be sure you're following the setup instructions in the first post exactly. It sounds like you might have "Group by textures" enabled in 3DVia Printscreen when it should be disabled.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, thanks for sharing this method, indeed works great, but I wonder if there is another method that could possibly remove all the concave areas from all the bricks too making it even lower polycount, the method works great but in the model Im trying it seems i need to remove other areas to make it even better so it would be great if i can achieve that

• 4 months later...

New release:

https://github.com/Terrev/3DXML-to-OBJ/releases/tag/v1.9.0

Updated engine version to 2019.2.12f1 and did some other general maintenance.

The engine upgrade means it can now render very large meshes that were previously over Unity's mesh size limit (they were always exported to the OBJ file though, so as far as raw functionality goes nothing really changed there).

There is one small fix to the actual conversion functionality: It turns out there's exactly one decoration in LDD that's RGB, while the other nearly 2000 of them are RGBA. The converter previously assumed all textures were RGBA and would choke on it, but that's fixed now. So if you've ever wanted to export a model with this awkwardly pixelated floral pattern, then boy howdy is this the update for you:

68828259-545a7f00-0662-11ea-83a9-ca742bc

As always, I recommend using the 64-bit version, especially if you need to convert very large models.

• 2 months later...

Update time:

https://github.com/Terrev/3DXML-to-OBJ/releases

Added an option for whether to make separate groups in the OBJ for each mesh in the original model, or export as a single group with multiple materials. (This will be useful for a Rock Raiders modding tool I'm currently working on.)

Also increased the default resolution to make room for the new checkbox in the UI (of course you can always resize the window yourself or use Shift + R to reset your saved preferences).

• 2 months later...
HeadFullofBricks

Thanks for this. I recently started trying to use unity to do walk throughs of models. I use mostly studio for building, unfortunately, exported as an ldraw into blender, then converting to fbx for unity. Of course, ran into problems with the complexity of the models.  Glad google brought me here. This should help.

• Thanks 1

• Guest unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...
whywhywhywhywhywhywh

Help, the 3dvia thing is not working, I did everything in setup and when I press F10 nothing happens

does this work on windows 10

Update: I found out the problem. Apparently installing 3DVIA on another drive will cause it to not work.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi lol username, when I try to use this, it works but the model has no color. (It comes out white.) The model I'm converting is completely Bright Red. I'm not sure why this happens. I have a Discord if you need it.

Thank you,

LegoLoco7

lol username
2 hours ago, LegoLoco7 said:

Hi lol username, when I try to use this, it works but the model has no color. (It comes out white.) The model I'm converting is completely Bright Red. I'm not sure why this happens. I have a Discord if you need it.

Thank you,

LegoLoco7

Sure, I see you joined the RRU Discord, will ping ya there and we can debug :)

Edit for anyone else wondering - turned out to be the shading setting in LDD

• 2 weeks later...

I've been messing around with settings and stuff but it seems that the obj always comes out with default coloring. Any idea why this might be happening?

EDIT: I joined the Stud.io discord but I don't think thats what your talking about. And changing the shading quality didn't fix it

lol username
On 3/15/2021 at 5:40 PM, Krakmoul said:

I've been messing around with settings and stuff but it seems that the obj always comes out with default coloring. Any idea why this might be happening?

EDIT: I joined the Stud.io discord but I don't think thats what your talking about. And changing the shading quality didn't fix it

Is it only when loading up the OBJ in another program, or does it show up with the wrong colors within 3DXML to OBJ itself?

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I stumbled into your converter today looking for tools to work with 3DXML files from 3dvia, not for Lego models, but for aiding the ripping process for an old MMORPG.

I got a good test out of it on the character creation screen but I think the in-game world  is too big to handle. That being a jump from 600KB to 22,000KB.

I'm not very knowledgeable in the coding world but I would imagine it would be no quick and easy task to increase the file size limit.

I've tried a few other options that either disassemble the model (Ninja Ripper) or destroy the texture mapping (Simlab Composer) but this one works almost perfect with just a few minor issues that aren't hard to fix in blender. So I'm a bit disappointed to have seemingly run into another dead end but I figured I would ask about it.

Thanks for sharing your work!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.