Ports of Drome Racers [Sound, Maps, Models, Textures]

RedC

I'm currently trying to replicate/remaster/port the Drome Racers game for Mobile and newer PCs.

I thought it was a really cool idea to have the drome racers game that i enjoyed the most when playing as a young kid on the go for mobile devices.

I'd really appreciate any help! 

Ripping models/sound/etc. which programs do i need? whats important?

Am i even allowed to release a port for an android device on the playstore since what i've read we don't have licenses for it yet.

I strived around in this forum a bit, seeing Models and Ports that Xir did for example (really nice btw great job).

I just want to know since you guys have more experience if it is possible 

and if you would like to work on this together.

It would be rebuilt in unreal engine.

Is that a good choice?

what do you think?

I'd be happy for any response!

ToDo & Update log

- Just found out that it's much more efficient to rebuild the cars in LDD

And that some people on here already created a lot of them if not all of them.

(I will credit each and everyone that helps realising this project of course)

- I'd need to rig the models to make them playable. (most likely in 3DS or C4D)

- Aquiring /or reconstructing the Maps

- Engine/Physics/Controls Over All System and Graphics Stuff

- Aquiring Characters and Animations or Reanimate/Re-Rig them

- Aquiring the Sounds

- Finetuning

Edited by RedC
Updated ToDo/Update Log

What will be the difference than just playing the game? Seems a bit redundant, but give a try at least. 

Well, LEGO will probably not care as long as the project is non-commercial and not use LDD geometries.

39 minutes ago, tomfyhr said:

What will be the difference than just playing the game? Seems a bit redundant, but give a try at least. 

Well, LEGO will probably not care as long as the project is non-commercial and not use LDD geometries.

You would be able to play this game with enhanced graphics on a mobile device! 

Does that mean i won't(legally) be able to convert the LDD files to Objs?

Just now, RedC said:

You would be able to play this game with enhanced graphics on a mobile device! 

Does that mean i won't(legally) be able to convert the LDD files to Objs?

No, but you can convert Ldraw models to obj legally.

Fluffy Cupcake

Dude, ldraw and LDD bricks are practically the same thing. The method you obtain the models doesn't make them any different.

What does it matter anyway, this game is a fangame and uses content made by LEGO either way.

1 minute ago, Xir said:

Dude, ldraw and LDD bricks are practically the same thing. The method you obtain the models doesn't make them any different.

I know, visually. It goes against the EULA of LDD to convert LDD geometries to obj, according to Terrev.

3 minutes ago, tomfyhr said:

No, but you can convert Ldraw models to obj legally.

I can convert lxf to ldr ....... 

so why even making the step

and not straight going to obj

3 minutes ago, RedC said:

I can convert lxf to ldr ....... 

so why even making the step

and not straight going to obj

Legal reasons. I don´t know the specifics.

Fluffy Cupcake

If we want to get legal then RRU shouldn't even exist considering where it's foundation came from. Have you read the installation agreements/EULA of these games?

You may not:

(ii) modify, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble (except to the extent that this restriction is expressly prohibited by law) or create derivative works based upon the Software or Documentation;

(iii) copy the Software or Documentation (except for back-up purposes);

We modify, we reverse engineer file formats of these games, we make derivative works off them.

Also that 2nd part also targets the models, sfx, whatever you've been uploading because they themselves are part of the software.

In other words, if you want to get picky about LDDs EULA, then what the horse are you even doing here.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Xir said:

If we want to get legal then RRU shouldn't even exist considering where it's foundation came from. Have you read the installation agreements/EULA of these games?

We modify, we reverse engineer file formats of these games, we make derivative works off them.

Also that 2nd part also targets the models, sfx, whatever you've been uploading because they themselves are part of the software.

In other words, if you want to get picky about LDDs EULA, then what the horse are you even doing here.

Allow me to clarify that I am not critizing the LDD conversion, Terrev is. I am just re-stating what he said. Here is a quote of what he said. 

On 5/13/2017 at 6:43 PM, Terrev said:

LEGO doesn't seem to care about people using assets from old video games and such. But they do care about LDD's brick models/geometry. It's of much higher importance to them.

For example, see the LDD to POV-Ray Converter:

http://ldd2povray.lddtools.com/

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/71654-software-ldd2povray/&do=findComment&comment=1333651

LEGO isn't likely to care about, say, a Rock Raiders remake using assets from the original game. They are likely to care about LDD brick geometry/models being made publicly available, especially in such mass quantity. I'd recommend contacting them first, or you might just end up with them contacting you and telling you to stop after you've already put a lot of work into it.

Fluffy Cupcake

Alright, well regardless this point still stands.

The method you obtain the models doesn't make them any different.

Direct rip from LDD or getting through ldraw doesn't make a wad of difference so long as the model is the same.

lol username
1 hour ago, Xir said:

Dude, ldraw and LDD bricks are practically the same thing.

lol no, not even remotely, in any aspect from how they're modeled to their standards/measurements of what the dimensions of the lego building system even are (technic bricks especially).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xir said:

Alright, well regardless this point still stands.

Direct rip from LDD or getting through ldraw doesn't make a wad of difference so long as the model is the same.

Okay. So, what is preventing the users from converting all LDD models in existence to OBJ and make a databse of it? THe more that help out, the less workload the wil be. There is a script for it, after all. There is a Decimator that can reduce the polygon count of the models, so the models can be used in a game engine.

lol username

With LDraw models it's not as much a matter of polygon count as it is the models being really sloppy. Some of it is due to how LDraw is fundamentally designed (the primitives system), some of it is just... well, sloppiness. There's no automatic tool that can properly clean up LDraw models, it comes down to a lot of manual work:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Terrev said:

With LDraw models it's not as much a matter of polygon count as it is the models being really sloppy. Some of it is due to how LDraw is fundamentally designed (the primitives system), some of it is just... well, sloppiness. There's no automatic tool that can properly clean up LDraw models, it comes down to a lot of manual work:

Are there any problems with the LDD to OBJ conversion?

Fluffy Cupcake

I had assumed since LDD exported LDraw that it was somehow related and I didn't think LEGO would be exporting to another format that... I don't even now know where it came from.

Thanks for a bit of clarification on that Terrev, I'm clearly not the expert on models in this area and should have kept my trap shut from the start. I apologize for the scene and humbly take a bow out. Take care with your project @RedC.

lol username

If you want my advice - and if you're really serious about this - worry about the actual game part and get it somewhat playable before worrying about any actual art assets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terrev said:

If you want my advice - and if you're really serious about this - worry about the actual game part and get it somewhat playable before worrying about any actual art assets.

I am not interested in making a game at the time of this writing. I am just wondering if there are any problems with the LDD to OBJ conversion.

Do you want to create a game, since you brought it up? I am just wondering. I am not being judgemental in any way.

39 minutes ago, tomfyhr said:

I am not interested in making a game at the time of this writing. I am just wondering if there are any problems with the LDD to OBJ conversion.

Do you want to create a game, since you brought it up? I am just wondering. I am not being judgemental in any way.

Um, i think he might meant me.. 

Which is pretty obvious.. because i want to make that game

Hence i started this topic :B :strobe:

44 minutes ago, Terrev said:

How much is there to it? Lightning, Physics and Race Scripts, and a store and save feature. But i can't start if i dont have any original material on it. Hence why i want to rip stuff out of it.

I'll try making the main menu and intros first of all.

Actually when i think about it, i need to do some AI waypoint following maybe. Also i need to make those powerups working, and the ai needs to be able to use it too if it detects a player in reach. 

If i cant get my hands on the Maps, i'll cancel the project

I put my last hopes into you @Xir ! :'(

10 hours ago, RedC said:

But i can't start if i dont have any original material on it.

Not to be mean, but this is not the right way to start in my opinion. There is a reason why artists start with "dummy" content. maybe start first and think about the "original" later. In my experience a game is not made in 123 :). I might look into getting the maps but yo boy Xiron makes it look far more easy xD

Fluffy Cupcake
6 hours ago, Zeeslag said:

I might look into getting the maps but yo boy Xiron makes it look far more easy xD

Unfortunately none of the rippers actually work nicely with this game, just as they didn't with Racers 2. The only way I was able to get Racers 2 stuff nicely was through Will's viewer. So if someone was to take the torch Will left behind and update the program and make it compatible with the newer version of the .md2 models that Drome Racers uses (and their textures), then we should be good to go.

10 hours ago, Zeeslag said:

Not to be mean, but this is not the right way to start in my opinion. There is a reason why artists start with "dummy" content. maybe start first and think about the "original" later. In my experience a game is not made in 123 :). I might look into getting the maps but yo boy Xiron makes it look far more easy xD

I see what you mean and this is correct in any other regular game concept. But here i want to reconstruct the game, and if you dont have a simply essesential element as the maps are, than it will make no sense to put effort in anything else because it won't be happening anyways. 

If i just wanted to make a better version in total with only the concept of drome racers, than sadly i must say someone already did that, better than i could ever, just alone because no money for assets not as talented and experienced with 3D modelling etc..++ 

Well his AI is s***ty, and the animations of the rockets never come to their full extend. But the rest is pretty much epic

48 minutes ago, RedC said:

I see what you mean and this is correct in any other regular game concept. But here i want to reconstruct the game, and if you dont have a simply essesential element as the maps are, than it will make no sense to put effort in anything else because it won't be happening anyways. 

If i just wanted to make a better version in total with only the concept of drome racers, than sadly i must say someone already did that, better than i could ever, just alone because no money for assets not as talented and experienced with 3D modelling etc..++ 

Well his AI is s***ty, and the animations of the rockets never come to their full extend. But the rest is pretty much epic

If you want to replicate  LEGO racing game, then you can start with LEGO Racers 2 and then move on to Drome Racers when that time come. The models ahve all been extracted.

LEGO Racers 2 Archive (audio, textures etc):

LEGO Racers 2 Models (import Unity ONLY): https://mega.nz/#!31BCRKiQ!DWH-0dUaRc6QzRJiVOHeHXvUJo6KNMnJldggojmgaAA

Fluffy Cupcake
44 minutes ago, tomfyhr said:

If you want to replicate  LEGO racing game, then you can start with LEGO Racers 2 and then move on to Drome Racers when that time come. The models ahve all been extracted.

Terrains not included* (last I checked)

Well hey, I wouldn't mind a LR2 remake, but you know aside from the engine, LR2 and DR and entirely different games, and getting the motivation to work on a game you aren't interested in doing isn't the same as having it for something else that you'd much rather be doing. Mind you I don't know how RedC feels about an LR2 remake but I'm just throwing that out there, and it's obvious this is not where the original intent layed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.