Joe9412

Well when im playing LRR sometimes the game chrashes..i know you people experiance this to and i just wanted to know, why does this happen? I hate when the game chrashes because then i have to go back into the game which i hate. Can anyone explain why this happens or is it unexplainible?

It's unexplainable until you give us some details, like what you were doing right before the crash, any programs that were running in the background, etc. I don't expect you to give us your computer's specs, but if you were teleporting down 100 raiders or something like that then we need to know about it in order to help you.

When I have the high-poly Raiders mod on this happens to me as well. I start the level, everything is fine for about four seconds and the game crashes. Do you have that mod on? If so, try disabling it.

^ Indeed, what he said.

Before RRU, on my unmodded, original, 1999-version game, I would have problems with the game unexplainably crashing, and getting the 'LEGORR.ICD has encountered a problem and needs to close.' error message.

I still get that problem every so often, and it seemed to occur slightly more often when I was playing through Baz's Mod.

So it just seems to be a bug in the game itself, that the developers didn't find/couldn't find a way to fix it. You'll just have to live with it.

Although do you have the original version? I guess they may have fixed it in later versions of it.

I believe that it has a lot to do with the hardware (more specifically, drivers) of each individual pc, so, it is very hard to find a fix.

I recently defragged my laptop and rr stopped it's occasional lagging, so that may help.

• 2 months later...

well I don not find a solution anywhere for the LEGORR.ICD problem. I tried almost everything, reinstalled it for more than 3 times, but when i want to play frozen frenzy the game crashes. i have the german version from 1999 and im running it on XP. some guys here talk about a later version of the game, but there are no stores for germany where I could buy it. its simply way too old :( is there really no solution for this problem?

yeah, I find it crashes on me after a while of playing. I think it's a feature to make sure you don't play for too long xD . But I don't really know what causes it

in frozen frenzy it mostly crashes after 10 to 20 minutes ... is there maybe a chance skipping the level.. because the error only occured in this level, the levels before fronzen frenzy were all fine...

I've spent like an hour on "Frozen Frenzy" w/out it crashing. Mainly only happens if I've already been playing for several hours. Also has happened on "Rocky Horror", maybe other levels too.

You can skip the level by adding "-testlevels" (no quotes) to the end of the shortcut, after the quotes.

It's a shame, it happens to me too... Frozen Frenzy is such a fun level really :(

okay i will try in in a week cause im on vacation for a week now thank you for the advise :) well yeah frozen frenzy is the level i remember best from playing LRR the first time .. so its not that bad.. I remember the cave with loads of energy - crystals in it :) i think i spent 3 hours or so finishing that level :o

i think i spent 3 hours or so finishing that level :o

Yep, that was me xD . Had to drill every single possible wall first! But after it crashes, I just restart the game, and start on that level first. Able to finish wthout further interruption.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok well I get this problem too. It really bugs me because you can't save your progress during a mission. You can only save at the END of a mission. >.>

I want to say it's a performance issue, and it has nothing to do with your hardware. I think the icd is what is constantly updating threads in the game (tasks for each RR, monster, vehicle, etc). When you max out your RR cap and start drilling/cleaning like there's no tomorrow, that creates so many threads that the icd can't keep up. The reason is because it's 16bit software, which is much much slower than 32bit and 64bit software.

I've been studying the .cfg file, and I've noted that there are goal-update times. There are trigger update times for each level, goalupdate times for the bats (and probably a few other creatures), and a few other such items. It may be that if we "slow" down these times, the icd won't have to work so hard and the crashes might happen less often or even stop. I'll test this sometime and let you guys know how it turns out.

---

If you have any comments about my theory, please share them. :)

Ok well I get this problem too. It really bugs me because you can't save your progress during a mission. You can only save at the END of a mission. >.>

I want to say it's a performance issue, and it has nothing to do with your hardware. I think the icd is what is constantly updating threads in the game (tasks for each RR, monster, vehicle, etc). When you max out your RR cap and start drilling/cleaning like there's no tomorrow, that creates so many threads that the icd can't keep up. The reason is because it's 16bit software, which is much much slower than 32bit and 64bit software.

I've been studying the .cfg file, and I've noted that there are goal-update times. There are trigger update times for each level, goalupdate times for the bats (and probably a few other creatures), and a few other such items. It may be that if we "slow" down these times, the icd won't have to work so hard and the crashes might happen less often or even stop. I'll test this sometime and let you guys know how it turns out.

---

If you have any comments about my theory, please share them. :)

It is also known that the game has many issues with a number of graphics cards. There are also parameters to make the game use all texture memory, disable fogging etc... to improve performance.

Also, I should make it clear that the ICD is nothing more then the 'LegoRR.exe'. In diskless copies such as mine, I do not have an ICD file. The ICD file is an encrypted game executable for SafeDisc v1.0. This ICD file is started after Safe-Disc checks for the CD, then it de-crypts the ICD and starts the game.

Also, I should make it clear that the ICD is nothing more then the 'LegoRR.exe'. In diskless copies such as mine, I do not have an ICD file. The ICD file is an encrypted game executable for SafeDisc v1.0. This ICD file is started after Safe-Disc checks for the CD, then it de-crypts the ICD and starts the game.

Hmm... I'm not quite sure what you mean, I have both LegoRR.exe and LegoRR.icd. I can understand that other file types can run like an exe, but the exe and icd can't be one and the same... and besides that, if the ICD is just to check for the disk, then that should only matter at start up since I can remove the disk and continue playing... yet when the game crashes it says it's an icd problem.

Hmm... I'm not quite sure what you mean, I have both LegoRR.exe and LegoRR.icd. I can understand that other file types can run like an exe, but the exe and icd can't be one and the same... and besides that, if the ICD is just to check for the disk, then that should only matter at start up since I can remove the disk and continue playing... yet when the game crashes it says it's an icd problem.

No, in the copy protected version of the game: LegoRR.exe checks the disc, LegoRR.ICD is the encrypted game executable that is run after the disc check. Rename the LegoRR.icd and you'll see that it is a game executable. It won't run however because it's encrypted.

However in the new versions of Lego Rock Raiders that you can buy, this copy protection is removed. In this case LegoRR.exe is about 700kb and the ICD file is 0kb.

That's how you can tell the difference.

I see... so if you (or someone) sent me the new icd and exe files, then I could put that in my LRR folder and it would run without the cd? (assuming that's the only thing that was changed)

And then I crashed into you,

And I went up in flames.

Could've been the death of me,

But then you breathed your breath in me.

I see... so if you (or someone) sent me the new icd and exe files, then I could put that in my LRR folder and it would run without the cd? (assuming that's the only thing that was changed)

Exept that,

1) It would be illegal.

2) Your other files may not be compatible... which may be why Baz's Mod explodes for some people

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.