[SOLVED] Invalid BMP/Unsupported color depth encountered

Leumeister

Hello all. :)

It's been awhile since I've posted here, to say the least... And I am really amazed at the discoveries you guys have made with LEGO Racers. I remember when it was so fiddly to make .tun files, and they didn't even come out right, but now we have a program that pretty much makes them perfect every time! And cracking the model format! Wow, seriously, this is cool stuff! If only we could convert from .ply to .gdb as well as .gdb to .ply. :P

Anyway, I digress. I've been having trouble replacing some textures in LEGO Racers. Originally, they were 1024x1024, 24-bit, non-indexed bitmap images, which I kept fiddling around with to make indexed versions at 256x256, tried using 32-bit 128x128, and even 128x128, 24-bit non-indexed bitmaps, like Aparkee's Zed textures. Every time I replaced them, the game crashed with either the message "Invalid BMP", or, more frequently, "Unsupported color depth encountered." For all intents and purposes, they are pretty much exactly the same as the Zed textures, and Zed's work fine.

large.ZedWorks.png.b817220d03c96a4a18c7f

Here are the textures I made. What am I doing incorrectly?

Edited by Rock Raider fan no.1
Solved!

CaptainGolem

I tried them and they work fine except LH_SAD and LH_BLINK. I have no idea how to fix them though, sorry.

Also, why does LH_BLINK have a different size from the others?

48 minutes ago, CaptainGolem said:

I tried them and they work fine except LH_SAD and LH_BLINK. I have no idea how to fix them though, sorry.

That's interesting... Weird... What did you do to get them to work, exactly? Just paste them over the originals?

Because I forgot that I accidentally overwrote it during my many experiments with those... Sorry. Should I reupload?

34 minutes ago, CaptainGolem said:

Interesting you say that.

LH_SAD and LH_BLINK differ from the others in that the file headers start with "BMz" and "BMŠ" respectively.

The other files have a header starting with "BM6"

As for the issue, I'm not sure what's going on as I've never had this happen.

2 hours ago, mumboking said:

Interesting you say that.

LH_SAD and LH_BLINK differ from the others in that the file headers start with "BMz" and "BMŠ" respectively.

The other files have a header starting with "BM6"

As for the issue, I'm not sure what's going on as I've never had this happen.

Oh, okay. Yeah, I just tried LH_DFLT and it worked. Strange... Other than LH_BLINK's size difference, I don't think I did anything different... Would exporting .bmps from Blender have anything to do with it?

Edit: Okay, I found something... I was trying to modify the pictures so they were still bm6 by copying them over the one I knew worked, adding some padding to them so they wouldn't look odd, and then exporting them from GIMP. It changed them all to BMz. I don't know what I did to get them at BM6, but I do know GIMP (which, I believe, exported them to their current state in the first place :S) is changing them somehow. I've tried two 16-bit exports, the 24-bit export, and the only 32-bit export available, and they either came out BMŠ or BMz. :/

Edit again: Okay... Blender exports BMPs with a BM6 ... header? Anyway, I know what to do next time it doesn't work... Open them in Blender, and then save them again! It works perfectly! A little convoluted, but it works! :D

Edited by Rock Raider fan no.1
Solved!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.