LEGO Island Size Comparison

lol username

Fluffy Cupcake

That's, um, some very interesting scale differences there. 0.o

Thanks for sharing!

I wonder how long it would be to travel from one edge of the island to the other on each in each game?

IXS never felt that big from in-game but seeing how tiny all its buildings look on it makes me realize how much wasted space there really is in that game's overworld. guess it's the opposite of the first game in that sense.

jesus that mountain. i knew it was huge in the third game but seeing just how tiny the second's is next to it...

edit: why did they make the second island that puke neon green color again lmao

• Like 1

large.58aaade107ec1_legoislandsizecompar

Reminds me of Half Life 2's Combine Citadel;

250px-Citadel_from_Canals.jpg

On topic, I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see the Islands expand over time, but the rate of the island's growth is, in my opinion, ridiculous. The bloody IXS island is more than four times bigger than the original island.

Also, I'm kinda curious as to why the islands keep changing shape. Did LEGO Island's citizens move to a new island every [x amount of] years? Did the previous island(s) keep flooding, or were the citizens getting board of their homes?

...and why the hell didn't they ditch the Brickster onto the empty-remnants of the past islands while the rest of the population moved on?

Wh4UsV6.png

Never underestimate the racetrack. ;P 

Spoiler

large.58ab4aec8bff1_legoislandsizecompar

large.58ab4b1794e0f_legoislandsizecompar

large.58ab4ace5e34b_legoislandsizecompar

large.58ab4a8be8e9b_legoislandsizecompar

large.58ab4a979823e_legoislandsizecompar

large.58ab4aa12f5cb_legoislandsizecompar

large.58ab50d154f73_legoislandsizecompar

6 hours ago, Pereki said:

Kinda crazy that they were thinking of making the IXS island BIGGER with the whole X-shaped idea.

This is just an approximate as we don't know the exact scale of that early map, but it's fairly close:

Spoiler

large.58ab50f4076ce_legoislandsizecompar

large.58ab53dee428b_legoislandsizecompar

(For those who haven't seen it before: the early IXS map, and the full resolution)

The same dev who uploaded the early IXS map also uploaded the entire LI2 GBA map (full resolution). Just by looking at it, I always thought it was huge - there's so much more stuff everywhere, so many more buildings, and having it fill your entire screen when viewing at actual size certainly makes it feel big. The only quirk about is it is that it cuts off Space Mountain, when that part of the game comes you just pass through a small tunnel, it loads another area where you get your spacesuit, and then you're sent straight into the asteroid belt subgame.

But is it as big as it looks at a glance? The scale is very self-consistent, 8 pixels to a LEGO unit, so getting it precisely lined up with the 3D models was easy...

Spoiler

large.58ab6dafc5886_legoislandsizecompar

large.58ab6e30c2545_legoislandsizecompar

large.58ab6ecac35d5_legoislandsizecompar

large.58ab6f809a41f_legoislandsizecompar

large.58ab706d971da_legoislandsizecompar

Well.

I certainly didn't expect that.

13 hours ago, Ringtail said:

IXS never felt that big from in-game but seeing how tiny all its buildings look on it makes me realize how much wasted space there really is in that game's overworld. guess it's the opposite of the first game in that sense.

Yeah, all this makes it really clear that how big a world feels doesn't come down just to the size, but mostly other things like how well that space is used and the perspective/camera.

1 hour ago, Terrev said:

all this makes it really clear that how big a world feels doesn't come down just to the size, but mostly other things like how well that space is used and the perspective/camera.

No doubt. Imagine how amazing IXS would have felt as a child if the space was used like it was in LI2 GBA. Silicon Dreams seems to have had a problem with that. I remember looking at the LI2 map from the Information Center and thinking about how there just wasn't anything there.

• Like 3

And now for the GBC map, because we might as well be as comprehensive here as possible. This still leaves the LI2 PS1 map out, but given how close it is to the PC version it's no big deal. I pieced Aparkee's GBC map pieces together, and they worked for the most part, aside from some inconsistencies at transitions between loaded areas, and one chunk that just slightly overlapped with another. I also included the space port and just slapped it into a corner, as it's part of the main island but its location relative to everything else isn't given. It's a shame we don't have a complete version of the GBC map, but going by the inconsistencies and NPCs blocking off a road near the bank, I'm not sure the devs even made one...

Oh, and there's also the problem that the GBC maps are inconsistent on how many pixels there are per LEGO unit... Sometimes it's 4, sometimes it's 8. And the minifigs are somewhere in between.

large.58ab93f35ec97_pixelbuggery.png.e05

So, I just put the map in twice, at both scales:

Spoiler

large.58ab9274286ca_legoislandsizecompar

large.58ab928834d63_legoislandsizecompar

Oh, and here's Aparkee's GBC map pieces assembled as seen there.

Is it at all possible to compare the other islands in the second game too? I'm guessing it'd be awkward with adventure island cuz the layout and scale of the levels and of the model you fly over at the start and end probably don't match up completely, but idk maybe not.

• Like 1

My plan was to reply to this tonight (now) with pics of Castle Island, Ogel Island, and all the Adventurers Island models imported, but without textures, since all textures for LI2 models have to be applied by hand with the game open as reference (due to LI2's engine's stripping-textures-of-their-real-names-and-then-hardcoding-all-the-info-on-what-textures-go-where-into-the-exe bulls***)... But I think it's a bit late tonight to even do that. Been a busy evening. I'll get around to it later though, I'm curious too. And yeah, the Adventurers Island area you fly over definitely plays with scale to give the impression it's bigger than it is.

• Like 3

I remember in the ps1 port the jungle "overworld" area where you meet the t Rex and such must've been adapted from the big forced perspective map or something because you can walk over to mr hates camp and it's just a tiny house

• Like 2

Yeah, in the PS1 version, the overworld/main desert/pyramid area/dino park areas that are separate on PC are all one single map, you can even see the gem collectibles while in the helicopter. And yeah, Mr Hates' camp is... smol.

The most notable thing about the PS1 maps is that they all use a terrain system (like, say, LR2 and LU), while in the PC version the landscapes are just models like everything else... So ripping the PS1 landscapes would definitely be more on the tricky side.

• 3 weeks later...
ProfessorBrickkeeper
Spoiler

ktiftYv.jpg

Thought I'd piggyback on this topic with a comparison of the island to LEGO City from LEGO City Undercover. The comparison image is bit ugly, with LEGO City Undercover's low-detail model not 100% complete when it appears in-game, but you can still get a good sense of the scale differences of the LEGO Island island, Island Xtreme Stunts island, and LEGO City Undercover LEGO City map. 

Wow, I need to come here more often because I didn't know about this amazing topic.

I'm pretty sure we'll be able to do a full-fledged comparison when LCU comes out on PC.

It's crazy how tiny LI1's map is but somehow it always felt more interesting than LI2 on PC. Like LimeKiller said, size isn't everything, it's how you use it. This is why in GTA games I love SA's map the most to this day while GTA V's map, while the largest, feels bland to me because the layout is not very diverse or interesting. And in LI the GBA map of LI2 is the most interesting (don't know anything about the GBC version).

I wonder how big are those worlds from the various superhero Lego games in comparison?

• 1 year later...

Not only did the island grow a bunch, it also appears to have changed in shape completely every time.

Guess they didn't care about consistency between games.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.