Running LEGO Rock Raiders on Windows 7/8/10 without VirtualBox (simple) also fix lag problems

Mikkel246

Hey I see a lot of VirtualBox topics to run RR that is not necessary, i use a program called  dg voodoo 2 is used to run old games.

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2.html  download  dgVoodoo v2.53 (released: 11.09.2016) and open the folder MS and take the 3 dll files and move them to your RR instal folder same place you put the d3drm.dll. 

and that is it, it worked for me and am running RR in 1080p now. 

If you want to use voodoo for extras options watch this video he does the same thing (this is not necessary)

small note: 

I have never had a problem running RR on win 10, but the framerate was so bad (5 fps) and everything glitch in-game. but the 3 dll files fix everything for me  

Hope it help you guys  :D 

NEW !!!

POST FROM Chringelord with the missing pictures. 

I can absolutely confirm this. Works perfectly fine for me.

Many thanks to Mikkel246 for this method. I'd suggest to sticky this thread since I think it is a true alternative to both Cafeteria and VirtualBox.

Here's a written guide for people who prefer those over video guides:

How to run Lego Rock Raiders under Windows 10 (and 8?) natively with the dgVoodoo wrapper (without Cafeteria or VirtualBox):

Quick and dirty guide:

1. Do a regular installation of Lego Rock Raiders
  2. Add d3drm.dll
  3. Download dgVoodoo 2.53 and extract dgVoodooSetup.exe and the DirectX .dll files (MS folder) into LRR's installation directory
  4. Should already run. Configure dgVoodoo DirectX wrapper through dgVoodooSetup.exe  at will
    (If LRR was installed in C:\ you need to run it as Admin)
    Make sure to select LRR's installation directory as the place to save dgVoodoo's config

Long and thorough guide:

1.  Get a copy of Lego Rock Raiders (physical disc or virtual disc image)
  2.  Insert / mount the disc / image
  3.  Install normally
    (If this doesn't work, refer to Cyrem's guide:
    Installer Not Working? You Can Salvage Your Game.)
  4. Download d3drm.dll. I could not find a working download on these forums, so I suggest using a download from the Machines - Wired for War community:
    http://download.wiredforwar.org/Game/d3drm.dll
  5. Got to the Lego Rock Raiders installation directory, usually C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Media\Games\Rock Raiders
    Copy the downloaded d3drm.dll to this Lego Rock Raiders folder
  6. Download the dgVoodoo 2.53 wrapper form
    http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html
  7. Open the .zip file and extract the following files to the Lego Rock Raiders folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Media\Games\Rock Raiders?
    dgVoodooSetup.exe
    From the MS subfolder:
    D3D8.dll
    D3DImm.dll
    DDraw.dll
  8. In the Lego Rock Raiders folder, right-click on dgVoodooSetup.exe and select Run as administrator
    (Running as Administrator is not necessary if the game was not installed on C:\)
  9. Perform all steps as shown below:
    Just copy the settings, and it should work - Just make sure the path leads to the RR folder where the game is. (marked with important)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c-mi53PZC80V9qoXjK2847FOSy3hao7R/view?usp=sharing   (voodoo - general)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BK3XIR1UjDqX-CbQRuhqgwbfJ68EBO01   (voodoo - glide)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18QEyMIY9Runf7wOmFCwBjLDxsEniVJkR   (voodoo - directX)

The resolution should match your monitor's.
    VRAM and Antialiasing settings work fine on a GTX 970. Adjust if problems occur.
  10. Run Lego Rock Raiders
  11. A Mode Selection window should appear. Default settings should be fine. The seleced Device should be:
    Direct3D HAL (dgVooddoo Hardware Accelerated Device)
    Click Ok
  12. Lego Rock Raiders should now run in 1920x1080 fullscreen and high FPS.
    Textures and UI elements will look pixelated and stretched. This is normal because the game was made for lower 4:3 resolutions.
    No music will play in-game. There is no known fix for that. If you want the music, rip it off your disc and play it in the background with a music player.

It took me many hours to figure out a way to properly run Lego Rock Raiders on Windows 10, so I made this guide to hopefully save some people a lot of time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Mikkel246 for this method. I'd suggest to sticky this thread since I think it is a true alternative to both Cafeteria and VirtualBox.

Here's a written guide for people who prefer those over video guides:

How to run Lego Rock Raiders under Windows 10 (and 8?) natively with the dgVoodoo wrapper (without Cafeteria or VirtualBox):

Quick and dirty guide:

1. Do a regular installation of Lego Rock Raiders
  2. Add d3drm.dll
  3. Download dgVoodoo 2.53 and extract dgVoodooSetup.exe and the DirectX .dll files (MS folder) into LRR's installation directory
  4. Should already run. Configure dgVoodoo DirectX wrapper through dgVoodooSetup.exe  at will
    (If LRR was installed in C:\ you need to run it as Admin)
    Make sure to select LRR's installation directory as the place to save dgVoodoo's config

Long and thorough guide:

1.  Get a copy of Lego Rock Raiders (physical disc or virtual disc image)
  2.  Insert / mount the disc / image
  3.  Install normally
    (If this doesn't work, refer to Cyrem's guide:
    Installer Not Working? You Can Salvage Your Game.)
  4. Download d3drm.dll. I could not find a working download on these forums, so I suggest using a download from the Machines - Wired for War community:
  5. Got to the Lego Rock Raiders installation directory, usually C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Media\Games\Rock Raiders
    Copy the downloaded d3drm.dll to this Lego Rock Raiders folder
  6. Download the dgVoodoo 2.53 wrapper:
    http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2_53.zip
  7. Open the .zip file and extract the following files to the Lego Rock Raiders folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Media\Games\Rock Raiders):
    dgVoodooSetup.exe
    From the MS subfolder:
    D3D8.dll
    D3DImm.dll
    DDraw.dll
  8. In the Lego Rock Raiders folder, right-click on dgVoodooSetup.exe and select Run as administrator
    (Running as Administrator is not necessary if the game was not installed on C:\)
  9. Perform all steps as shown below:

5e6b63fc4e.png

5e77b7bde3.png

The resolution should match your monitor's.
    VRAM and Antialiasing settings work fine on a GTX 970. Adjust if problems occur.
  10. Run Lego Rock Raiders
  11. A Mode Selection window should appear. Default settings should be fine. The seleced Device should be:
    Direct3D HAL (dgVooddoo Hardware Accelerated Device)
    Click Ok
  12. Lego Rock Raiders should now run in 1920x1080 fullscreen and high FPS.
    Textures and UI elements will look pixelated and stretched. This is normal because the game was made for lower 4:3 resolutions.
    No music will play in-game. There is no known fix for that. If you want the music, rip it off your disc and play it in the background with a music player.

It took me many hours to figure out a way to properly run Lego Rock Raiders on Windows 10, so I made this guide to hopefully save some people a lot of time.

My Specs:

Windows 10 Pro x64

Intel Core i7 2600k

16GB RAM

MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G

German Lego Rock Raiders disc image

Amazing dude!! Good job ?

I also have a gtx 970 but I have one problem, my game freeze random mid game and I can't find a solution :-( sometimes it happens 10 minutes in a game and sometimes it doesn't happen at all.  

Kind of annoying, but you seem to know your sh** :-D

Plus if you want to have music and all the movies play in the game, run lRR.exe as win xp or 98 I don't remember :-P  I have copied all the files from the DVD over in data. 

well, it actually works, unlike last time I tried to get this wrapper running, but it's running like it's in RGB mode without advanced lighting even though I selected Direct3D HAL. does the same for MMX mode.

that VSync in window mode feature it has is nice though. if i can get the lighting working I won't need that fraps s*** to keep the framerate locked any more.

Download 

d3drm.dll. I could not find a working download on these forums, so I suggest using a download from the Machines - Wired for War community:

Some time ago I uploaded it, however I also know that there are multiple version of d3drm.dll and the one you have provided may (or may not be) better. In particular, I remember that the d3drm.dll off the LRR disk does not work; however, the d3drm.dll off the Lego Island 1 disk does.

9 hours ago, Mikkel246 said:

I also have a gtx 970 but I have one problem, my game freeze random mid game and I can't find a solution :-( sometimes it happens 10 minutes in a game and sometimes it doesn't happen at all.  

I have never had any freezes in the game. After using the Sonic Blaster crash fix, I only had a few crashes now and then, just like I already had them back in the day on Win98.

I don't really have an idea what could be causing your freezes. Sorry, I can't help you there.

9 hours ago, Mikkel246 said:

Plus if you want to have music and all the movies play in the game, run lRR.exe as win xp or 98 I don't remember :-P  I have copied all the files from the DVD over in data. 

Currently doing a lot of testing for this. Will report back when I have some results.

In the mean time:

Can you tell me which files exactly you copied over? Did you copy specific files or just the entire \Data folder off the disc?

Could you give me a list of all the files you have in \Data\Sounds\Streamed in your installation folder? I have 4 files there. Or 6 when i copy the two off the disc.

Do you or does anyone know a way to put the three music tracks (the actual music that plays in-level which is stored in a seperate, hidden music track on the disc) in the LRR folder?

As it seems LRR reads music directly off any inserted disc with a music track on it. I also could not find any references to music files for these three tracks in the Lego.cfg.

8 hours ago, Ringtail said:

well, it actually works, unlike last time I tried to get this wrapper running, but it's running like it's in RGB mode without advanced lighting even though I selected Direct3D HAL. does the same for MMX mode.

that VSync in window mode feature it has is nice though. if i can get the lighting working I won't need that fraps s*** to keep the framerate locked any more.

I remember trying to use dgVoodoo 2.51 on LRR in the past as well, which didn't really work for me either. Judging from dgVoodoo's changelog, there have been several improvements in 2.52 and 2.53 that could be affecting LRR, so I guess it works just fine now.

Please post any progress you make on the lighting. Would be interesting to see what can still be tweaked graphics-wise.

20 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Some time ago I uploaded it, however I also know that there are multiple version of d3drm.dll and the one you have provided may (or may not be) better. In particular, I remember that the d3drm.dll off the LRR disk does not work; however, the d3drm.dll off the Lego Island 1 disk does.

Judging from their checksums, they do not seem to be identical. However, the one you uploaded works for me as well, so I'll be using your link instead. Thank you for providing this.

1 hour ago, chingelord said:

In the mean time:

Can you tell me which files exactly you copied over? Did you copy specific files or just the entire \Data folder off the disc?

Could you give me a list of all the files you have in \Data\Sounds\Streamed in your installation folder? I have 4 files there. Or 6 when i copy the two off the disc.

Do you or does anyone know a way to put the three music tracks (the actual music that plays in-level which is stored in a seperate, hidden music track on the disc) in the LRR folder?

yeah the entire \Data folder AVI and Sound http://prnt.sc/eem5w7

this is how my folders look 

http://prntscr.com/eem7jr

http://prntscr.com/eem7qd

http://prntscr.com/eem7yw 

I cant figure out how to add picture in here xD 

1 hour ago, chingelord said:

I have never had any freezes in the game. After using the Sonic Blaster crash fix, I only had a few crashes now and then, just like I already had them back in the day on Win98.

I don't really have an idea what could be causing your freezes. Sorry, I can't help you there.

it is kind of a wired freeze... because the hole screen freeze, but i can hear the game continue behind the frozen picture :/  

2 hours ago, Mikkel246 said:

yeah the entire \Data folder AVI and Sound http://prnt.sc/eem5w7

this is how my folders look 

http://prntscr.com/eem7jr

http://prntscr.com/eem7qd

http://prntscr.com/eem7yw 

Thank you very much for that info!

What I managed to find out:

Videos:

• Without taking any measures, no videos will play in-game on Windows 10.
  • Running LegoRR.exe in Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode would play the videos but lose access to the save files.  Running LegoRR.exe as administrator did not solve the problem. Maybe this could be prevented by installing LRR somewhere else than C:\Program Files(x86).
  • Windows 98 compatibility mode had the same problems as XP (SP3) mode, with the addition of extremely low FPS.

I ended up using no compatibility settings and installing this AVI codec as suggested by Cyrem here. That got it working for me.

Videos and Main Menu and Score Screen music:

These files can be found on every normal LRR disc or image.
If you insert the disc they will all play (videos assuming you took one of the measures above).
If you copy those files off the disc to their respective folders in the LRR installation directory, they will play without a disc.
The files are:
All files in the \Data\AVI folder
Both files in the \Data\Sounds\Streamed folder

In-level Music (the three tracks):

The music that plays during levels is completely independent of the above.

Many old PC games were sold on Mixed Mode CDs ((incomplete) list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_Mode_CD#List_of_mixed_mode_CDs).
These contained both data and audio tracks. The audio tracks are invisible in a file manager (like Windows Explorer) but can be accessed by games or audio software.
These games will play music in-game from any disc as long as it has audio tracks on it. This could be the game disc itself, a disc from a different game or a Foo Fighters album. The game will simply the audio tracks of the first disc it can find.
So if you put a Foo Fighters album in your PC's drive, Lego Rock Raiders will play the Foo Fighters during levels.

Which disc the game can find seems to follow certain rules. At least for Lego Rock Raiders and Dark Reign 2 (a game from the same 1999/2000 era) these rules are:

If no virtual disc is mounted (it does not matter if a virtual drive exists), the game will take the music off the first phsyical disc it can find, dependent on its drive letter:

•    E: (Phsyical drive) - Foo Fighters
  •    F: (Physical drive) - Lego Rock Raiders

-> Foo Fighters will be played in-game.

If a virtual disc is mounted, the virtual drive needs to have a lower drive letter than all physical drives:

•    E: (Physical drive) - No disc
  •    F: (Virtual drive) - Lego Rock Raiders

-> No music will be played.

•    E: (Virtual drive) - Lego Rock Raiders
  •    F: (Physical drive) - Foo Fighters

-> Lego Rock Raiders music will be played in-game.

In addition, any disc image used must be a mixed mode one, containing both the data and the (hidden) audio tracks of the original, phsyical disc the image was created from.
Unfortunately, it is rather common that the audio tracks are not included in a disc image.

I have a phsyical copy which has damaged sectors, so I cannot use that for installation, and a disc image i downloaded from somwhere, which does not have the audio tracks.

So I need to either find an image which has the game in German and the audio tracks on it, or find a way to combine the audio tracks from my damaged disc with the data track from the image I have.

Any help for this would be  greatly appreciated.

If I find the time in the next few days, I will update the guide.

• lol username pinned this topic
lol username
20 hours ago, chingelord said:

I'd suggest to sticky this thread since I think it is a true alternative to both Cafeteria and VirtualBox.

Aaand done~

Hot dang, after so many years I get a random craving for this game, and just days before I try to install somebody has found a (non-virtualbox) solution.  Thanks a million for the setup guide! ...However I am running into issues.

The game won't open at all (or crashes immediately) as no window pops up.  I have also copied the linked d3drm.dll into C:, SysWOW64, and System32 as suggested by some other guides, and I have used dgVoodo with exactly the same settings as Cringelord to no avail.  Running RR as admin because I installed to C: too.

Is there a known good installer that works with this method?  My rig is build without a disc drive so I can't exactly rip my CD copy.  It's basically just a shelf decoration at this point.

--

Specs in case they're relevant, but it's similar enough that I didn't anticipate these are the source of any problems:

GPU: 2x GTX 970

CPU: i7 6700k

Windows 10 64-bit

English CD zip sourced from the swashbuckler gulf

Edited by Egon
update specs

• 2 weeks later...
Mast3rBruc3

I'm having trouble getting the game to run as well. When I attempt to run it as administrator I get no response. Nothing pops up. I appreciate all the help so far! It would be awesome to get this game to run like the old days. I have my original copy of the game if that matters. I followed all of the steps outlined by Cringelord.

• 1 month later...
-Skylight-

The Voodoo2 link doesn't seem to be working, I get that pesky "404 not found" message so if anyone has a another source for Voodoo2 that would be nice. Thanks.

Found a the file I was looking for, but now that I followed the instructions, LRR keeps telling me: "Please login with administrator privileges and try again"

So then I run it on administrator mode, and it doesn't open, nothing happens, and that's been the same issue I've had on my Desktop Windows 10 and my laptop on Windows 10. Here's a screenshot of what happens when I open it.

Edited by -Skylight-
update

Explosives_expert_JJ

I've got the same problem as those four above me, I'm running windows eight. It makes the loading wheel show up around the mouse but then does nothing. I really love this game ever since I was a kid so I really need someone to help me out on this.

• 2 weeks later...

The link to  dgVoodoo v2.53 the link seems to be broken.

I've read the thread, and it seems like people are having the same issue I'm having.

I can run the game in RPG Emulation but not in Direct3D HAL, when trying I get the same issue as the others above me.

I click the game to run it. And nothing happens...

• 6 months later...
On 28/02/2017 at 8:16 PM, chingelord said:

Many thanks to Mikkel246 for this method.

I want to give you a HUGE thank you - been struggling to play it on windows 10 for two years, giving up after a couple hours. Following this tutorial I got it working within minutes!! I didn't previously move the dgVoodoo config + exe into the LRR install folder, or run as administrator. I was plagued with 5 fps extreme lag... now to play for hours!! Thanks again!

My specs:

• Intel Core i7-3770k
  • 16gb ram
  • windows 10 Home x64 bit (Version    10.0.16299 Build 16299)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
  • Samsung 240gb SSD

Also did some tiny changes from the default in dgVoodoo config (via the exe)

• DirectX VAM 16 -> 512 MB
  • MSAA OFF
  • General -> windowed ('unspecified' scaling)

Also worth noting

• launching in full screen and alt-tabbing doesn't crash the game - but it's frozen/totally unresponsive. Music plays with no lag though.
  • Then closing LRR and attempting to launch again - nothing happens when trying to run again. Had to kill Legorr.exe via task manager then relaunch.
  • Running in windowed (I could only get 640x480 which isn't really playable) allows alt+tab to work fine - when you do alt+tab the game pauses and resumes when re-opened

c211031f325ebbdc98216e0874873656.png

91046d4eb669dbfeb6afc9d6aa3d3b43.png

Best of luck to everybody else out there!

6 minutes ago, Guest PurpleLego said:

Im having a problem. I have followed the steps pretty closely I believe, but when I go to launch (as admin) I get this error https://imgur.com/a/d4vLu

Never seen that error, you could attempt to install an older version of directx. Maybe try installing directx 9 and see if that fixes it.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
DefiledNature

Been trying to get this game to run for hours. I have followed all the steps chingelord provided, but as of right now the images are deleted for the settings in dgvoodoo. Can anyone help me out?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.