LRR won't start on Windows 10

olimarmaster

I've spent an evening on this problem and can't seem to find a solution.  I would be very grateful if anyone was able to help me.

GPU: GTX 970

Description:  Game will not start.  Upon launching game, mouse goes "spinny" for a second or two then stops.

What i've tried:  The Windows 10 guide on RRU and also the Windows 10 VirtualBox guide also on RRU.

Extra info:  I have the 720KB .icd file version of the game, and have already attempted the override for signing the secdrv.sys driver.  I'm running in compatibility mode for XP SP3, administrator rights, and 16bit colors.  As far as the VirtualBox guide, i followed it down to the letter, but get a generic error message (i've included a screencap of it just in case)

Spoiler

aJovCel.png

We're running the same OS and GPU and both of those tutorials work fine for me, how bizarre! Rock Raiders is one heck of a fickle game.

You have a legitimate/non-pirated copy, right? Whenever I launched the game, got the spinning loading mouse and then nothing happened, it was because I hadn't properly configured the SafeDisc protection.

Oh hold up, I forgot to mention I'm a Windows insider, so I have a preview build (with 3dpaint and such). Would that affect it much? I can roll back to stable consumer edition. And yeah, it's legitimate, got it over 10 years back as a kid. However it's an ISO mounted using daemon tools, as my desktop doesn't have a disc drive, since I never thought I'd need one.

Would the virtual drive mess things up? I assumed it appeared identical to a real drive to windows programs. If needed I can go out and get a cheap USB optical drive.

Also those differences wouldn't/shouldn't have any effect on the VirtualBox tutorial, since there's an extra layer of abstraction.  Maybe my disc is damaged so i have a bad rip?  It installed perfectly fine.

Thanks for your help so far.

I've never successfully run an ISO of Rock Raiders in Daemon Tools (haven't tried other software), even following the tutorial. I'm not familiar enough with the workings of virtual drives to know why, but if you're happy to spend a bit then a disc drive may solve the problem.

Big "maybe" there though, please don't come after me for compensation if it doesn't work!

Hmm, alright.

Before spending money though, are there other options? Is there a way to extract the data from the ICD file to make it not dependent on the disc? Or are there any other reasons this wouldn't be working?

14 minutes ago, olimarmaster said:

Is there a way to extract the data from the ICD file to make it not dependent on the disc?

*cough*unSafeDisc*cough*

26 minutes ago, mumboking said:

*cough*unSafeDisc*cough*

I've tried this but it fails saying I don't have the original safedisc loader.  Does this mean my rip/iso is bad?

Ok, I guess my disk was too scratched up and I got a bad rip.  Odd that it installed properly.  I've got the game running now by finding an alternate iso online.

Thanks for your replies anyway!

5 minutes ago, JimbobJeffers said:

Ssssssssshhhhhhhh... :whistle:

what, do you think we pretend such things don't exist? we just have a rule about not uploading or linking to game ISOs and the like lol, simple as that

28 minutes ago, Terrev said:

what, do you think we pretend such things don't exist? we just have a rule about not uploading or linking to game ISOs and the like lol, simple as that

Curious place to draw the line, does that not imply that RRU condones downloading pirate copies as a solution to "my game isn't working", as long as we don't provide the links ourselves?

well there sure aren't more legit copies of these old games coming into existence as we approach two decades since release, and no one besides ebay sellers are losing any money from it, so

Plus there's the fact that i have the disc sitting right here.  It's a spirit vs letter of the law kind of thing.  Also it stopped working.  Played for an hour or so, quit, and now it won't start anymore. -sigh-

Guess i'll just pray to Rock Raider Jesus.

12 hours ago, JimbobJeffers said:

Curious place to draw the line, does that not imply that RRU condones downloading pirate copies as a solution to "my game isn't working", as long as we don't provide the links ourselves?

quite a leap of logic you've got going there - as said before and as you can see in many other support topics, we don't care where your copy came from, just don't share pirated stuff. again, simple as that.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.