IXS Widescreen Hack

Jeff

After my success with Lego Island 2, I've decided to try making a widescreen hack for Xtreme Stunts.

And I did...for the most part.

Spoiler

NgKwbKd.jpg

I've gotten different aspect ratios and resolutions to work but it comes with an issue.

Spoiler

4qzJJaw.jpg

The HUD doesn't scale properly. It's fine this way for the most part, but the PDA icon can get annoying and there will be two black boxes covering the screen during cutscenes. A work-around is to run the game at a default resolution and just use your monitor to stretch the image. But the image won't look as sharp.

Spoiler

(1280x1024 scaled to 1920x1080)

EpSv6Bw.jpg

I would love to fix the HUD, but I have no idea where to start. If anyone here has any ideas, please let me know!

Anyway, I made a small GUI program if you want to try this yourself. Download it here.

ITFkCIF.png

There's at least two versions of IXS with different EXEs, I think there's a topic somewhere in this subforum regarding it. Does this work for both or just one?

Edit:

• lol username featured and pinned this topic
1 minute ago, Terrev said:

There's at least two versions of IXS with different EXEs, I think there's a topic somewhere in this subforum regarding it. Does this work for both or just one?

I mentioned this in the program's readme file but not here. This only works with the version that works on new OSs.

My CD has the "old" version on it and I used the patch that converts it into the "new" version.

I looked at the old version and it seems like they re-did the rendering system or something. I couldn't find the aspect ratio or resolution values anywhere, but they're easily found in the new one.

• Like 1

Alrighty, fine by me as that's the version I (and most people) use anyway haha. Looking forward to trying this out once I get my laptop out later.

Fluffy Cupcake

Pressing "browse" while not having the program in the same folder as Game.exe will throw an "unhandled" exception error.

That aside, the program works well. Thanks for making it!

12 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Pressing "browse" while not having the program in the same folder as Game.exe will throw an "unhandled" exception error.

That aside, the program works well. Thanks for making it!

Thanks for pointing that out. I edited the release with the fix.

Finally got around to trying this (had some computer issues) and while it patches successfully (the backup file is created, the exe's last modified timestamp changes, and comparing the edited exe to backups - both the one made by the program and my own - show there's differences)... It doesn't do anything. I've tried replacing different resolutions, inputting different custom resolutions, etc yet the game still uses all the old resolutions and aspect ratios. I have both versions of the game but am using the only one that works for me - supposedly, the one that the patch converts the non-working version into. Is there something weird going on, or are there more variations to the game than we've narrowed down so far?

2 hours ago, Terrev said:

Are you using an English copy? If so, then it seems there are three revisions of IXS. I'll send you a PM to research this further.

Yeah, my copy is English. I'm quite curious about this now...

Update: LOL.

Oh my god hahahaha, I found the problem - the shortcut I was launching the game from (to use the no CD trick) wasn't pointing at the exe in the same directory as it, but an identical installation located somewhere else. God knows how THAT happened (copied file paths from the wrong window when I made it, maybe?) but at least it's worked out.

Another edit: Works fine, of course I immediately started screwing around with it

jIf7qQV.png

OG9ijSd.png

KWwo8cE.png

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.