POLYGON ATTACK: The LEGO Animation Thread

emily

So we've got a cool topic for retro LEGO media in general, but sometimes I've found myself wanting to post about more recent stuff and not really found a good venue for it. 

So I figured, why not give a thread like this a try? I know that there are at least a couple of other people around that brave even the roughest of the Lego shows and series when they come out, and maybe you all would like a place to talk about them some too. 

Make what you want of the thread: from the Animagica Lego Movie to the Animal Logic Lego Movie, official stuff, unofficial stuff, stopmotions, CGI. Whatever tickles your fancy! 

...but now for the real reason I wanted to make this thread: this happened and it's so bizarre and I don't know where else to put it:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxuR7eiWIAA4fjD.jpg:large

They paid two different crews to animate the same special. "as an experiment." what kind of budget is ninjago running on? 

Is this going to be CGI too? Is it going to match the normal one shot for shot (aside from the different starting scene)? How do they benefit from doing this in the first place?

this feels like the sort of thing that you read about on the lost media wiki or something and there's an intense debate over whether or not it exists because the idea is so absurd. but it's real. and soon enough, I guess we'll see it. 

• Like 4

Fluffy Cupcake

An alternate version? Well neat.

Speaking of Ninjago, how good is the show actually? I've never seen an episode before, let alone almost no clips.

1 hour ago, Xiron said:

An alternate version? Well neat.

Speaking of Ninjago, how good is the show actually? I've never seen an episode before, let alone almost no clips.

I'm not sure I speak for everyone, but it varies a bit from season to season. The Stone Warriors episodes were interesting (a lot of ripping off Star Wars but... it might have helped?) and I enjoyed Skybound up until the ending. The pilot episodes weren't great, and as for every other season, I only saw a handful of episodes from each before getting tired. It's still a kids show, and there are obvious weaknesses, but it's generally likeable... especially when it gets melodramatic. :P I'd find some good episodes and watch them for fun, if I were you, but it's probably not worth getting  invested in.

The alt version is interesting... I mean, I know blockbusters make changes to satisfy Chinese audiences. I wouldn't expect a LEGO TV show to. I hope the changes are scandalous and rabble-rousing and full of controversy. Or at least an interesting animation style.

So it seems like this is quite literally handing the same materials and objective to two different teams and seeing how different they come out. That's... really strange. 

4 hours ago, Xiron said:

I've voiced my criticisms of the show before, but as far as current Lego stuff goes it's probably the best. Certainly the most fun to watch, especially if you just turn your brain off and don't think about it. Though I think that's true of later seasons (maybe 4 onward) more than the earlier ones, which I think were a lot less solid on their feet. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Pereki said:

So it seems like this is quite literally handing the same materials and objective to two different teams and seeing how different they come out. That's... really strange. 

And disappointing; less potential for interesting changes.

So, is this, like, to put Wilfilm back in their place? To show them LEGO could totally go with another studio if they so desired? Because giving two teams the same materials, as an "experiment"... it almost seems like inciting competition. :P

Do you wanna build a lego set?

I haven't seen Frozen so I don't know how Olaf is there, but he's really annoying in this trailer. That aside, I'm interested in how they are doing a pseudo-stopmotionesque thing where the characters move in distinct choppy motions like in the lego movie, BUT they still bend in impossible ways and the environments aren't lego-constructed. It's a fusion of the two styles - have we seen this before at all?

Never seen anything official like that. It's almost too choppy for my liking at points, not sure if the framerate's low or if it's just jumpy animation.

Dazzgracefulmoon

1 hour ago, Terrev said:

Never seen anything official like that. It's almost too choppy for my liking at points, not sure if the framerate's low or if it's just jumpy animation.

I think they were trying to emulate stop motion. but it comes off lucking really...off

On 11/29/2016 at 0:28 AM, Pereki said:

I haven't seen Frozen so I don't know how Olaf is there, but he's really annoying in this trailer. That aside, I'm interested in how they are doing a pseudo-stopmotionesque thing where the characters move in distinct choppy motions like in the lego movie, BUT they still bend in impossible ways and the environments aren't lego-constructed. It's a fusion of the two styles - have we seen this before at all?

Olaf's a bit less irritating in the actual film, but not by much. As for whether we've had anything like this before, I'm pretty sure that the same studio's done some short set videos for the disney princess sets in the past, but nothing majorly long like... whatever this is.

On another note, the LEGO Batman Movie sets have some neat showcase videos.

There's a cute new series that just got put up on the Lego YouTube about a Pirate who picks fights with every theme. 

Full Playlist

I linked the Bionicle one obviously but if you are only going to watch one than definitely make it the City one, it's the best. The voice acting and stopmotion are top notch in general, but they really need to either drastically improve, or just drop, the digital editing on the minifig's faces. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Pereki said:

if you are only going to watch one than definitely make it the City one, it's the best.

CynOLmMWgAA120D.jpg

I strongly disagree

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pereki said:

There's a cute new series that just got put up on the Lego YouTube about a Pirate who picks fights with every theme. 

*Watches a few episodes*

My god. That looks awesome! Especially the lighting.

I mean, just look at this! Does this look like a stop-motion animation... or a picture pulled off of a LEGO MOC Gallery?

V58nEKD.jpg

Now I want the LEGO Movie's sequel to be made and animated by this lad!

• Like 4

Isn't that basically the plot of that one failed pilot Wes Jenkins worked on?

• 4 weeks later...

The Elves specials have been airing on Disney Channel, but next year they're moving to Netflix as a series (possibly to make up for Bionicle's absence). 

There is a teaser up now on the Elves homepage. Turns out they are tweaking the artstyle - the characters look like minidolls now and the sets look like they're built from lego bricks.

It looks... kind of bad, but I can't tell if its a direct result of the style change or just a lower budget sort of issue. It'll probably be clearer when there is more than 17 seconds to watch.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, SuperGeniusCreator said:

...and there was a link to this in the newsletter.

1. That video is an insult on my eyes

2. Why do the human characters move... I don't know the right term... err... stiffly?

3. Who did the lighting/rendering, because I don't think they did their job

4. This poor sod clearly didn't want to be involved;

large.poorsod.jpg.5ba012a7dfdd70379417e4

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Legorza said:

On the subject of Ninjago I found a trailer that seems to be a test from 2009. The prototype of Zane has been seen before in a Ninjago guide from 2011 (I'd like to upload a image but I'm not sure its legal).

Hah, I was just thinking about that when I saw you posted it. It was put up by Amazon as a trailer for Battles Ninjago, and it isn't even the first time they've messed up and publicly shared an early pitch trailer. They did it for the Bionicle sets in 2008 (thereby accidentally revealing Mata Nui's true nature months in advance) and with the Legend Reborn in 2009 (which was mostly just the 08 Ghost animation of Mata Nui rising, lol).

It's cool that we have this vid, and they actually voluntarily screened the original Nexo Knights pitch at Comic Con last year. I appreciate that they're being more open about sharing this stuff with the dawn of social media. We still haven't gotten to see the original Bionicle video, but there's an inkling of hope it might be on show at the LEGO House when that's finished.

2 hours ago, Ayliffe said:

this tweet by an actual member of the ninjago show staff makes me yearn for death

that tweet is unfortunate but at least someone cut the idea down instead of letting another Roodaka happen

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.