LEGO Alpha Team - Windows 10 Setup Guide

Jimbob

All credit for the methods used here goes to @lordtobi, who posted a few different tricks around the Alpha Team subforum. All I've done is collate his work into one simple tutorial with screenshots, so please direct any appreciation his way!

1. Insert the LEGO Alpha Team disc into your PC. Open This PC/My Computer, right-click on the disc and select “Open”.

Spoiler

large.Step01.jpg.d942e2f7390b2ea2c1a3477

2. Select all files on the disc, except from the "DirectX" folder, and copy them.

Spoiler

large.Step02.jpg.af3336708224562d3be78e0

3. Create a new folder somewhere that you have permissions (e.g. Desktop, Documents, but not Program Files). Paste all the files inside this folder. Note that in the previous screenshot I have a “desktop.ini” file selected, this doesn’t need to be copied.

Spoiler

large.Step03.jpg.43d34fe757a610e7c2a256f

4. Inside this folder, create a new folder called "DirectX". Download the .dll files here, extract them, and place them inside this DirectX folder.

Spoiler

large.Step04.jpg.aff4be66e250389c2982024

5. Back in the main folder, right-click on “Setup.exe” and choose “Properties”. In the window that pops up, select the “Compatibility” tab and set it up as shown below. Make sure you press “Apply” before pressing “OK” or closing the window.

Spoiler

large.Step05.jpg.19eb69b06c9317ce8d88218

6. Run the “Setup.exe” file in this folder. Follow all the steps, clicking OK when informed that “DirectX 7 will now be installed on your computer”. The application may freeze temporarily, just give it a minute. Click “Finish” to close the setup program when it is complete.

7. Navigate to the folder where LEGO Alpha Team installed. For me, this was:
C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Media\Games\LEGO Alpha Team

Spoiler

large.Step07.jpg.49a29f80e88f90f3e17d9b1

8. As with the “Setup.exe” program before, right click on the “Launcher.exe” file, select “Properties”, then go to the “Compatibility” tab and set it up as shown below. Do the same for the “LEGOATeam.exe” file.

Spoiler

large.Step08.jpg.7819f61a32d1bd97c055fa1

9. To run the game without requiring a disc, first run "Launcher.exe", then press "Exit" when it starts.

Spoiler

large.Step09.jpg.16397d58add4b63bea3e2e8

10. Now copy the “Config.txt” to somewhere you have permissions (e.g. Desktop), and open it in Notepad. In the below screenshots I’m in the install directory, but you probably won’t be able to save from here.

Spoiler

large.Step10-1.jpg.7c0782380c9da88ff7e17

Remove the “DiscPath  #:\” line, then under the DisplayGUID line (I’ve blurred the code as I wasn’t sure if it was important), add in “VerifyDiscVol  false”, including both spaces. Save the file and close it, then copy it and paste it back over the “Config.txt” file in the install directory, replacing it.

Spoiler

large.Step10-2.jpg.da318fdceda044afa2210

11. To keep the intro video, navigate back to the folder created in Step 3 (where you pasted the disc’s files), copy “lmiintro.avi”, and paste it in the install directory. You can now delete the entire folder created in Step 3.

Spoiler

large.Step11.jpg.2291a22e4bcbd3c77b3e477

12. Finally, to set your custom resolution, run the game and adjust the settings to populate the configuration file. Then select the “Game.txt” file in the install directory, copy it somewhere that you have permissions, and open it in Notepad. Again, I show the file in the install directory here, but you’ll want to have it somewhere like your Desktop.

Spoiler

large.Step12-1.jpg.7aa801108503c52fd1d85

Change “BPP  ##” to “BPP  32”, then change “Width  ####” to your desired width and “Height  ###” to your desired height. Remember to leave two spaces between the text and the numbers. Below is my modified file.

Spoiler

large.Step12-2.jpg.6081093ca1f05f1606048

Save and close it, then copy it and paste it back over the original “Game.txt” in the install directory, replacing it.

Congratulations, you’ve installed Alpha Team and are ready to play it on Windows 10!

• Like 4

• 3 years later...
Cyberbrickmaster86

This time when I set up the game using this installation guide, the window bar was still at the top and the display was too big to fix within my monitor screen. I have a 1080p screen and I have set it to 1920x1080, but it doesn't fill up the display like it should. I have lowered the resolution in the options menu which addresses the issue of the display being to big, but the window tab still won't go away. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...
Cyberbrickmaster86

What I mean is, the game still displays in a window with black outside. Increasing the resolution doesn't fill up the monitor screen, it scales the window beyond the monitor's boundaries while still set like a window display. I don't know if this is an issue because of my new computer or that I've hooked it up to the TV, but with my previous laptop I didn't have these issues from my understanding.

• 6 months later...
DerMunger

It worked perfectly a couple of days ago, But I had to reinstall a lot of games recently and when I tried it now, even after following this guide to the letter, I get no strings and no voice. It's like the locale pack does not load into the game.

Edit: Weirdly, strings and audio load fine when disk is in.

Edited by DerMunger
Clarification

• 2 months later...
Cyberbrickmaster86

The issues I had previously must of been from a faulty setup I had with Windows 10. Now it's working fine as of today when I reinstalled it. Being able to play without a disc, with full screen display and 1080p graphics does wonders on top of working around an installation that wouldn't normally work in modern Windows operating systems due to lack of support for Direct X these days. And that is always good, because playing it on an old Windows XP computer is out of the question, when doing so gives you an annoying audio loop bug.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.