Welcome to Sandy Bay

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

Where the grass is green, the beaches are clean, and there is always someone there to give you help.

(making of time-lapse found here)

Random Trivia & Facts:

• The map, and all the models seen in this video were just made and put into SFM this weekened. This also means that in the same timespan I made an animation.
  • I had to 1/2 re-set up the town a second time because all the models were mirrored incorrectly the first time (by half I mean the doors and all the extra bits broke and I had rotate all models 180 degrees, the broke extras bit was easily fixed by doing a "import animation sequence" by replacing the old model sequence with one from a new one).
  • I found out that it is possible to do the animating part of a 18 second animation in 2 hours if you are extremely determined and block out all distractions (not including additional extra touch-up details).
  • The grass sprite went through a lot of overhauls before I found a decent one.
  • I recorded myself making this, so expect a time lapse down the road.
  • While I did plan to animate from the start of my recording, I didn't go through with my original animation idea. Once I started to animate, every bit of idea in the animation came to me bit by bit by just messing around with things.  You will get to see this later.

• lol username featured this topic
Fluffy Cupcake

Time-lapse time!

Phase 1: 00:00 - Setting up  the scene
Phase 2: 09:24 - Porting over additonal props
Phase 3: 21:46 - Landscape touchups and animating
Phase 4: 48:21 -  Post-render editing and uploading

8 hours of work speed up at x8 speed, and even then some cuts were made to the long parts like model porting and the SFM rendering bits. As you can tell from the dates at the bottom right, this was all done within the span of just a few days. I went pretty hardcore at it too. There was little time where I wasn't working on this.

Fluffy Cupcake

love short sentences

can means anything, no, everything

Well I mean, you could be saying "I understand perfectly" as in you were sarcastically saying everything in the OP video makes sense in your own quirky way, or you could be saying "I understand perfectly" as in you get exactly how I work now after seeing the timelapse. But enough being mr. picks, from what I understand my first example is what I got out of what you were saying. Hopefully there wasn't too much of a misunderstanding (believe me, I know people who try to makes 'whole sentences' using just the one keyword, so I've seen worse).

....I feel like I should be putting my "not to be taken seriously" member title back up right about now. :P

• 4 weeks later...
Fluffy Cupcake

Sorry, it is not. I'm not even sure how well Gmod would be able to handle that many props with physics.

As for everyone else, I'd just like to add at this time since I have not said it yet, that the Sandy Bay map found in the video can be downloaded for SFM right here.

1 hour ago, Xiron said:

...I'm not even sure how well Gmod would be able to handle that many props with physics.

Well, not ALL props in a Source Engine map have to be prop_physics ("prop_dynamic" can be used for animated objects and "prop_static"s are just... models that do nothing other than stay still), although the game'll lag if it has to simulate too many physics objects (just spawn a ton of crates, barrels, ragdolls, whatever in GMod and you'll see what I mean).

A lot of your models, Xiron, are physics props though, so "prop_dynamic_override" entities would have to be used.

Apologies for the seemingly complex terms, I can't help it...

DGC6Vod.jpg

Fluffy Cupcake

Complex? Naw. I understood everything there. One of the reasons why I won't Gmod it is because the terrain is shamefully buggy once you set a foot out of town. I know how I can fix it, but I can't be bothered to do it and on top of that l re-place all the props in hammer right so soon after spending time making it once already in SFM (I think there may have actually been a problem with model placing which may have made me not do it anyway).

1 hour ago, Xiron said:

Complex? Naw. I understood everything there. One of the reasons why I won't Gmod it is because the terrain is shamefully buggy once you set a foot out of town. I know how I can fix it, but I can't be bothered to do it and on top of that l re-place all the props in hammer right so soon after spending time making it once already in SFM (I think there may have actually been a problem with model placing which may have made me not do it anyway).

It will not lag trust me. I have seen bigger maps that have a lot of animations.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.