Rock Raiders Won't Start On Windows 7

Brick Built Gamer

Brick Built Gamer

Hello all.

So as the title says, LRR is not starting at all for me.  Whether I used the Enhanced or Standard shortcuts or the exe itself, nothing happens. I do see LegoRR.exe in the list of processes in the task Manager but it's only there for a few seconds before disappearing. I've tried a few solutions to this, most recently being related to the SecuROM driver as I've had this exact same issue with other games however Rock Raiders would still not run.

My PC is using Windows 7 Professional and I have an Nvidia 9400 GT graphics card. I can provide more details about my PC and what I've tried if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
Brick Built Gamer
On 10/11/2016 at 7:47 PM, willphiln31 said:

I'm guessing you've already tried messing with the compatibility and color modes?

Yeah. I've gone through several of the compatibility modes but no change.

On 10/11/2016 at 8:01 PM, Ringtail said:

It should work fine on Windows 7 and nvidia. have you tried windowed mode? 

I followed the windowed mode guide here but never got that pop up that's apparently supposed to appear at launch. Otherwise, still no change.

On 10/12/2016 at 3:15 AM, aidenpons said:

Wander into where LRR's installed and tell us how large LegoRR.icd is ; it'll tell us whether it needs a disk or not.

According to the properties, Size is 719KB and Size On Disk is 720KB.

((Posting this from my thread, adapted.))

Actually...I finally figured it out.

I have no idea why this was the big fix that finally managed to get it to work, but here it is.

1. Install the game. You can either download the game directory or directly from disc. I did both so I could utilize music and cinematics.

2. Follow the AMD video card comparability fix. Not sure if it will work on Nnvidia, but it should.

So after copying the d3drm.dll file into the main LRR folder, i moved the shortcut labled LegoRR to the desktop. Opened CLGen, selected Vodoo 2 and left it open on screen. (This should stop the game from crashing during start-up and when starting a mission) Then right-clicked the LegoRR shortcut, used compatability mode with the following boxes checked off:

-Disable visual themes

-Disable desktop composition

-Disable scaling on high DPI settings

-Run this program as administrator

The compatibility mode in question is Windows XP (Service pack 3). For CLGen, it doesn't have to be Voodo 2, but it DOES have to be open at all times. I tested all 3 and the results are relatively the same. I also moved the shortcut to my directory for extra insurance. It was kinda feisty, but I forced it with a cut and paste.

You should have this up to this point:

Spoiler

yjzjXSo.png

3. Right click and hit properties on the shortcut. In the target area, hit space and add -ftm. For those who are wondering that that does,

• -ftm - This makes the videocard use all available texture memory. Also turns off game lighting. Lighting still affects game models.

4. Finally, run the shortcut, and when the video setup comes up, run the game in Microsoft Direct3D RGB Software Emulation.

The game runs flawlessly save for some slowdown when insane amounts of effects are happening at the same time or up close in first person/3rd person. The only real thing that takes a hit is the lighting being out of whack, but the game runs, and that's what matters.

Brick Built Gamer
13 hours ago, SparksterX said:

((Posting this from my thread, adapted.))

Actually...I finally figured it out.

I have no idea why this was the big fix that finally managed to get it to work, but here it is.

1. Install the game. You can either download the game directory or directly from disc. I did both so I could utilize music and cinematics.

2. Follow the AMD video card comparability fix. Not sure if it will work on Nnvidia, but it should.

The compatibility mode in question is Windows XP (Service pack 3). For CLGen, it doesn't have to be Voodo 2, but it DOES have to be open at all times. I tested all 3 and the results are relatively the same. I also moved the shortcut to my directory for extra insurance. It was kinda feisty, but I forced it with a cut and paste.

You should have this up to this point:

Reveal hidden contents

yjzjXSo.png

3. Right click and hit properties on the shortcut. In the target area, hit space and add -ftm. For those who are wondering that that does,

• -ftm - This makes the videocard use all available texture memory. Also turns off game lighting. Lighting still affects game models.

4. Finally, run the shortcut, and when the video setup comes up, run the game in Microsoft Direct3D RGB Software Emulation.

The game runs flawlessly save for some slowdown when insane amounts of effects are happening at the same time or up close in first person/3rd person. The only real thing that takes a hit is the lighting being out of whack, but the game runs, and that's what matters.

Just tried this and had the same result with LegoRR.exe disappearing from the Task Manager after a few seconds. I'm going to reinstall and try again later today.

Brick Built Gamer

I tried installing off the disc and downloading the game and following this process but both gave the same results.

• 3 weeks later...
Brick Built Gamer

UPDATE (In case others in the future are having this same issue)

So I've tried installing off the disc and downloading RR and the RR Masterpiece edition with the exact same results each time. I've added the RR install folder to the safe folders list for my antivirus software in case that was the problem, still nothing. I recently tried installing Soccermania and had the exact same problem (exe opens in Task Manager then disappears after a few seconds) so it seems the issue is my computer itself. I'm looking for solutions to that. I think I need to scan for malware possibly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.