LEGO Life App - "It's full of... stuff"

emily

http://www.lego.com/en-us/life/

I was flipping through the latest Club magazine online and it had an ad pointing me to... this. Don't let the video fool you, it's still being developed, so it looks like you can only try it out if you are in the UK at the moment. 

But just what is it? The video's maddening insistence on just using the word "stuff" wasn't helpful, but from what I gather from the actual site, it seems like Lego is trying to set up its own social network that focuses on building contests. Building contests for kids aren't very interesting for us mature, adult, LEGO™ Connoisseurs, but what may be interesting to us is the other stuff - a minifig avatar customizer for your profile, accounts 'belonging to' minifig characters (getting into MLN territory here), and "easy access to all the latest LEGO® news." There's also this, from the FAQ:

Question 13: Can I modify my username after creating it?
No, you are not allowed to modify your username without creating a new account. This would mean losing all progress you have made so far.

...which seems to imply game-like elements are part of the deal. So maybe this is quite literally going to be MLN 2.0.

Something to keep an eye on, I think!

• Like 6

"An app full of cool stuff. An app full of your cool stuff. "

Stuff like this has to be intentional. "Let's introduce something totally stupid that little kids won't mind but that TFOLs/AFOLs will mock endlessly, giving us coverage from both groups!"

But then, with BIONICLE G2, maybe it isn't intentional...

• Like 1

But are the pictures going to be scanned by software so no inappropriate images get through and the comments restricted to a white list of allowed words? :af:

"Trade Too-tree-our axe!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/26/2016 at 1:09 PM, le717 said:

But are the pictures going to be scanned by software so no inappropriate images get through and the comments restricted to a white list of allowed words? :af:

"Trade Too-tree-our axe!"

I just had a flashback to people advertising their trades in Lego Universe. xD

• Like 2

Wow it sounds... so... lifeless.

Seriously it's just LEGO Instagram.

POST PHOTO'S. WOW
POST COMMENTS ON PHOTO'S. WOW.
GET LIKES. WOW.

MAKE 8 YEAR OLD'S CRY BECAUSE YOU'RE THE BETTER BUILDER. WOW.
HAVE A USER PHOTO. WOW
READ OLD NEWS. WOW.
READ FAKE POSTS FROM MADE UP CHARACTERS. WOW.

WOW

maybe I'm just old.

• 2 weeks later...

They've been really pushing it on the Message Boards now too since the announcement of the closing of the boards. The community really isn't taking hold of the idea though.

Edited by eagleeyedan

oh look they're doing a rebrick contest in conjunction with the launch of this app, that's nice. I wonder what the prizes ar-

c0bd824573124d70837614ce5efda2a5.png

w- wait. new lego magazine? but what about the lego club? uh, well, let's go over to the website and-

835e71cc897142bdabe20a0f6603da1f.png

WHAT WHEN DID THAT GET THERE (editors note: I'm talking specifically about how "Create & Share" has the lego life logo now, but I forgot to highlight it oops)

OH HECK THE CLUB WEBSITE IS GONE DID ANYONE SAVE ALL THE STUFF ON THERE

and the worst thing is it doesn't even look like the magazine is actually changing (which would be interesting), its just re-branding and continuing on its merry way

But this is the first big, structural re-do of the Lego site since...early 10s? and the first time the magazine has changed since 2008 (or even 2002 if you consider Magazine and Club Magazine as basically the same)

• Like 2

OH HECK THE CLUB WEBSITE IS GONE DID ANYONE SAVE ALL THE STUFF ON THERE

Huh? :S I haven't checked Lego.com for ages (probably about five years) and haven't got the magazine (for about seven years)... but that looks functional to me...

49 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Huh? :S I haven't checked Lego.com for ages (probably about five years) and haven't got the magazine (for about seven years)... but that looks functional to me...

Oh, cool. so it's still there for the time being, they've just stopped conspicuously linking to it from the main site.

good

The character creator uses animations also in LEGO Worlds (like the idle animation and a few others), so I guess TT provided some assets to LEGO for this? Also the character creator is just some pieces from collectible minifigs that for the most part, can't be combined that nicely... Hrm.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.