The Brickster Returns - Lego Christmas Special Animation (Kickstarter)

Immortal Ent

The Brickster Returns - A Christmas animated short film

f5bf15ba2daac6d4020c4405f5c49ecd_origina

Greetings RRU members!

I'm new to the forum and not sure if it's so active still, but I took interest after reading the Lego Island threads about contacting one of the game's creators. Anyway, as a fan of Lego and Lego Island (2 mainly), I decided to incorporate the Brickster as a character into my Christmas specials (I'm an animator). Each year, I make a Christmas special. The past two years have been based on my criminal character called the Brickster which is inspired by the Lego Island character although changed to fit my story. Regardless, this year I want to make the best Lego Christmas animation and also wanted to share the finished product with everyone! I have greatly increased my quality of animation since my last Christmas special. However, since I'm fairly young money for all of the sets/products to achieve such a feat is near impossible without help. I felt quite cheap with the thought of begging, however, I eventually came around and made a Kickstarter. I hope people will help to fund and support this film, if the fund is successful, by Christmas day (or eve for backers), I will release the film on here and YouTube.

Here is last years Christmas special:

And here is an example of a more recent film I've completed to show the increase in quality to expect (and better) from this year's Christmas special.

If anyone is interested in helping fund this year's Christmas special, here is the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/668524253/lego-christmas-special-the-brickster-returns

If not, please feel free to share the campaign, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

I'm prettttty sure you can't use Kickstarter this. LEGO is trademarked by The LEGO Company. You might be able to do this since people gain money from playing videogames, but I don't know. I still think this can't be done.

• Like 1

I would've thought you could seeing as it's a fan film and there's a lot of Star Wars fan films etc on Kickstarter. Plus it isn't something I'm promoting or selling to get money from since it isn't my brand.

The Ace Railgun
1 hour ago, Immortal Ent said:

Plus it isn't something I'm promoting or selling to get money from

That's exactly what you're doing with kickstarter though, you're asking people for money to work on a project that as a true fan film would be worked on with one's own already gained money (not through kickstarter). Doing it this way could make LEGO have to shut the project down.

• Like 1

With crowd funding projects (usually) like mine use the whole budget on the film, it isn't money that goes into your pocket as profit. But I do see where you're coming from. I think Lego have a good outlook on community made films. There's a large userbase on YouTube and websites like BricksinMotion.com who make films like this.

I think you guys are focusing on the wrong issue here. It's not like this guy is making money off of use of the Lego brand, and I doubt TLG would object to someone raising money to buy Lego products.

The issue here is why do you feel the need to buy TWO MODULAR BUILDINGS AND AN AGENT CALENDAR for this project?

Why don't you try building what you need with parts from your own collection? And if you don't have the parts needed, I'm sure you can get enough to build a reasonable façade for far less than the price of three $100+ sets

• Like 5

If the fundraiser fails I'll have to do the best with what I've got, and probably try to find a way to build it myself. The large buildings are because I'm building a Christmas city scene and these buildings will be neccesary.

Ah, I remember my brickfilm days... Don't be afraid to move your characters diagonally on the baseplates, Ent. It might seem harder, but it's worth breaking free from the Etch-A-Sketch walk paths. ;P The Batman grappling hook scene brings me back... I can almost feel the movements setting up each frame would require. xD Same with Palpatine opening up the front door in your old Brickster flick. Though I'm not sure how many people are going to pay to see a brickfilm ("About 352,000 results" for free to compete with), you show a lot of promise in your stop-motion so far, so I wish you all the best!

1 hour ago, TheDiplomat said:

Ah, I remember my brickfilm days... Don't be afraid to move your characters diagonally on the baseplates, Ent. It might seem harder, but it's worth breaking free from the Etch-A-Sketch walk paths. ;P The Batman grappling hook scene brings me back... I can almost feel the movements setting up each frame would require. xD Same with Palpatine opening up the front door in your old Brickster flick. Though I'm not sure how many people are going to pay to see a brickfilm ("About 352,000 results" for free to compete with), you show a lot of promise in your stop-motion so far, so I wish you all the best!

It's nice to see someone who can relate. Thanks for the kind words! If you subscribe to my channel you'll see my future work (that is if Lego/Brickfilms still interest you!).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.