Best way to deal with slimy slugs in 'Back to the basics'

Jobalisk

i have no idea how to win it legit. I either built small mobile laser cutters every time I got to 11 energy crystals, parked them all in front of the power station, and teleported them all up at once when I had enough so that they could store all the crystals faster than the slugs could reach the base; or just put unpowered teleport pads around each slug hole so they're trapped.

Is this one of the two missions before the last level? In that case I won the mission by expanding the base (adding a large teleporter, fences, teleporting vehicles down etc.). After that I teleported the tool store up. Without this building no purple (=empty) crystals are being generated when the slugs try to get energy from the buildings. That way you can still collect crystals since you have the power station. I don't know, if this is called legit or falls into the category of bug using, but it worked for me.

lol username

it's been ages since I played that level all the way through but iirc I just armed a bunch of raiders with pusher beams and left them standing around the holes 24/7 once the slugs appeared lol

I just micromanaged the hell out of my raiders, turning off auto-collecting crystals and having them set them down one by one by the power station. Then once I had enough I turned it back on and they threw them all in before the slugs could do much damage.

basically what Ringtail did, but more needlessly complicated and difficult

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terrev said:

it's been ages since I played that level all the way through but iirc I just armed a bunch of raiders with pusher beams and left them standing around the holes 24/7 once the slugs appeared lol

This doesn't work for me, they always chase the critters furthest from my base, leaving me vulnerable.

1) lose the mission for the 183rd time and ragequit
2) uninstall the game and take out the disc
3) lose the disc in the back of a car and don't bother looking for it afterwards

This method worked great for me. I suggest you try it.

5 hours ago, Arthuriel said:

Without this building no purple (=empty) crystals are being generated when the slugs try to get energy from the buildings.

Wait, crystals can't get drained if there's no Tool Store? That's interesting...

It's best to move your base to the far north-east corner of the map, since there's a crystal cache out that way. Barricade yourself in with Teleport Pads if you must. I think there's only one slug hole nearby.

• Like 2

As Cire said, go far right. Don't bother drilling down into the huge cavern - too many slugs. (And monsters).

If my memory serves me correctly, the slug script depends on the number of crystals you've collected so far. Furthermore, it will spawn a set, finite, amount of slugs. Barricade enough off and trap them and you will have a slug-free game.

Teleport pad spamming is amazing when you have an Ore Refinery. You'll need to fiddle around with the power on the pads to keep the slugs there & not let them just head back inside immediately.

Get a whole bunch of Small Transport Trucks and then, when you're at 30 crystals or so, go mass drilling and just hoard those crystals.

Sonic blasters are usable if your game doesn't crash. l405G.jpg

P.S. Back to Basics is a whole load harder than the last level. It's the most challenging level in the entire game, with a possible exception of Lake of Fire & other lava maps (but that's due to a stupid RR AI)

• 2 months later...

Personally I ended up doing it like this: don't break the walls on the south (to avoid revealing that super-big cave), carefully micromanage everything to avoid storing more than 10 energy crystals at once, and once you manage to get the upgraded Chrome Crusher and a number of fully upgraded Transport Trucks, turn off all the buildings and simply plow through the walls on the right and hope that you can get enough energy crystals before you run out of air.

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana
1 hour ago, ZuTheSkunk said:

Personally I ended up doing it like this: don't break the walls on the south (to avoid revealing that super-big cave), carefully micromanage everything to avoid storing more than 10 energy crystals at once, and once you manage to get the upgraded Chrome Crusher and a number of fully upgraded Transport Trucks, turn off all the buildings and simply plow through the walls on the right and hope that you can get enough energy crystals before you run out of air.

This is the way to go.  But my only question here is this: why turn the Support Station off?  If you leave that on then you don't need to worry about the scramble to get the crystals stored before the air runs out.  That leaves the main problem: the slugs.  Simple solution: drill through everything on the right and bring the crystals back to base and then store them at one time, or use Cirevam's advice and move the base to the north-east where a large crystal payload sits.  Personally I always brought the crystals back to the base and put them in a pile in front of the Power Station before loading them at one time to thwart the slugs :) 

Next time I'm using Cirevam's idea, so thank you @Cirevam for sharing this!  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.