A Lego/Terratech inspired space exploration game

kroge

A few months ago, I joined on to help develop this game after being really interested in the modular/lego-like ship building feature.  Story goes, you're an average Joe working shifts at a frontier outpost until one day when you've stockpiled enough cash to get an old rusty command pod and see where the solar wind takes you.

DeKqS4d.jpg 

But the outer reaches of the galaxy can be a scary place. Corporations have been around for years, and have been monopolizing resources and benefiting from their ill-gotten gains. Also, it can be tough to track down criminals who are traveling at relativistic speeds, so naturally many of them have joined up to have a space pirate tea party out there... complete with guns, anger, and unreasonably high opinions of themselves. 

NnR55Db.jpg 

So back to the ships. It's your job to equip yourself with means necessary to make a living out in these parts, and that means fast engines, a well built vessel, and guns. Lots and lots of guns. You will receive transmissions to your space dock for quests to help fund your new fun-loving lifestyle. You will run into pirates who would love nothing more than to pick their teeth with the broken shards of your spirit. But if you're lucky, you can loot their remains for your own gain. All of this to say, your goal is to build the best damn ship in the outer reaches, and here are some considerations for you. 

* Ships rely on real (or close to it..) space physics. Your mass and weight distribution are key factors in your ship designs. You will need to balance how much armor you have with where your important ship components are placed. 

* You don't have to watch for engine placement that much as all of them will puch your ship foreward perfectly, but they need to be protected from enemy fire so consider that before lunging forward. 

* Your guns will fire in the direction that you place them on your ship. Side guns shoot to side, front guns shoot to the front. You get the idea. 

* You can heal your ship by going back to your space station. There, the healing arm of life will dispense green nanobot goodness all over you - for a price. 

We're currently looking for testers and feedback, so let me know what you think!

• Like 3

I think I see another Space Engineers/Starmade/Empiryon Galactic Survival.

As a businessman myself, one bit of advice I can give you is to give your product a way to stand out from the competition. Right now, I'm not really seeing that.

On 6/23/2016 at 4:15 PM, Phoenyx said:

I think I see another Space Engineers/Starmade/Empiryon Galactic Survival.

As a businessman myself, one bit of advice I can give you is to give your product a way to stand out from the competition. Right now, I'm not really seeing that.

An age old problem... tapping into the benefits of "familiarity" without going off the deep end.  The game actually does not share a whole lot with Starmade, as it's more in the vein of Rebel Galaxy and Terratech, but it does share the same ship building basic mechanic.  

The modules in the game offer all kinds of different properties and uses.  From guns, to shields, to cloaking, to utility modules that buff your ship in general (think Diablo 2 Unique items), so to portray those in an easy to skim fashion, here's our first whack at a stats screen!

2sbayeH.png

On 6/30/2016 at 4:31 PM, kroge said:

An age old problem... tapping into the benefits of "familiarity" without going off the deep end.  The game actually does not share a whole lot with Starmade, as it's more in the vein of Rebel Galaxy and Terratech, but it does share the same ship building basic mechanic.  

The modules in the game offer all kinds of different properties and uses.  From guns, to shields, to cloaking, to utility modules that buff your ship in general (think Diablo 2 Unique items), so to portray those in an easy to skim fashion, here's our first whack at a stats screen!

2sbayeH.png

In that case, when you start marketing the game, you'll want to show more of the Rebel Galaxy-esque aspect of it.

On another note, this is just a random idea and I'm not necessarily suggesting it for this game, but has anyone thought about a soft-body chassis + components "Robot Arena 2" style build system? There's a ton of voxel-based spaceship-building games, but not a single one that uses a vectored 3D build system.

5 hours ago, Phoenyx said:

In that case, when you start marketing the game, you'll want to show more of the Rebel Galaxy-esque aspect of it.

On another note, this is just a random idea and I'm not necessarily suggesting it for this game, but has anyone thought about a soft-body chassis + components "Robot Arena 2" style build system? There's a ton of voxel-based spaceship-building games, but not a single one that uses a vectored 3D build system.

Good idea, I'll start putting together materials that are more similar to that.

As far as soft body building games, theres Avorion but it's still in alpha/beta and frankly it takes forever to design without a whole lot of benefit.  Check it out though, it recently had a successful kickstarter campaign.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.