Game keeps freezing with voices repeating.

ElementalChaos

ElementalChaos

I found a copy of Lego Rock Raiders at Savers a long time ago and now I'm trying to play it on my Windows 98 computer. Installation went fine, both of the intro movies play fine, but when I try the first tutorial the whole thing freezes a few seconds into the mission briefing where the guy talks about your first day of training or whatever. It freezes and the voice clip keeps looping not unlike the "GREEN RED BRICK YOU STAY" glitch in Lego Island.

I tried cleaning the CD multiple times and even tried a different CD drive but it's not working. It's a bit scratched up, but not really that bad and I've had game discs in far worse shape play just fine. I've heard that the early versions of the game have SafeDisc copy protection so maybe that's the problem?

I understand that it's a shaky topic and it's fine if it is not allowed but, in case my issue is being caused by a bad CD, is there some way I could download a backup copy if I took a picture with timestamp as proof that I own the original game?

lol username

My personal suspicion is that it's something unrelated to the disc being scratched - as far as I know the game doesn't read anything from the disc besides the music (which is optional, some releases of the game didn't even have it) and intro movies (also optional iirc, the game runs fine without them), so I don't see a reason for disc scratches to cause a problem at that point. I'm not a Rock Raiders expert though, maybe somebody else would have some clearer ideas.

You know the game successfully loaded every file if Chief comes up to start talking about the mission, since other things like invalid animations crash during the load, but I believe some of the map files don't crash the game during the loading screen and take a second or two before the game realizes that something shouldn't be in a wall. My suggestion is to extract the WAD files off the disk and compare the tutorial level's map files to known good ones.

As far as giving you a copy of the game, I think we're able to give you everything but LegoRR.exe and LegoRR.icd (or whatever it is, it ends in .icd) - so we can give you the tutorial files to make sure (or just a whole new mod, that works too l405G.jpg

Does your copy of LRR work without a CD?

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2016 at 11:31 AM, ElementalChaos said:

I try the first tutorial the whole thing freezes a few seconds into the mission briefing where the guy talks about your first day of training or whatever. It freezes and the voice clip keeps looping not unlike the "GREEN RED BRICK YOU STAY" glitch in Lego Island.

I just installed this game with VirtualBox the other night (Windows XP SP3). I had the game freeze during the first mission briefing and in the time it took me to find this site and this particular post, the game unfroze. Try waiting a bit and see if it does the same for you. It happened with every mission briefing, but in 2-5 minutes of being frozen, it would function properly. Sadly it does freeze from time to time, but I don't see what is causing it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.