How to change 'textureusage' on Virtual Box?

AnotherCrazyCanadian

AnotherCrazyCanadian

Hi all, I recently got Rock Raiders running again on Virtual Box Windows XP (thanks for the great guide!) but have run into that all too common "idleness syndrome" where workers just stand around and do jack-nothing. I seem to recall back in the day on my Win Vista machine I could use a WAD recompiler, but now I can't find a link to that and I am unsure if I can do that on the virtual machine.

Is there any guides or recommendations? I had a look around but everything seems to be expired.

(side note: Can I just edit the WAD with a text editor manually or is the WAD recompiler still necessary. I think so but it's worth an ask).

You'll want to start here if you haven't already, but it's incomplete so I'll give you a hand:

Once you extract the WADs with the WAD Tool, move the WAD files out of your LRR installation directory and keep them as a backup. Copy the contents of the LegoRR0 folder into the Data folder first, then the LegoRR1 folder's contents. The order matters here! You can edit everything in the Data folder and the game will load from that folder if the WADs are missing. After you set up your game for modding, open the Lego.cfg file and find the line that says TextureUsage. Change it (just add a 0 on the end, it's good enough) and save the file, and you should be good to go.

AnotherCrazyCanadian

Thanks for the reply Cirevam, and sorry for the late reply myself.

That actually didn't work for me, as the WAD tool breaks upon use in VirtualBox.

http://imgur.com/HXfKd3P

Since it's already installed on my VirtualBox machine, is there anything else I can do?

Copy the WADs and the tool to the host machine, do the extraction, then copy them back in. You will probably need to run the tool with admin rights.

AnotherCrazyCanadian

Thanks for the quick reply. When I get a chance I'll do that and let you know.

Alright, I did that and the game seems to run fine, haven't hit any RAM intensive parts. This may be the wrong place to ask, but should I increase the virtual machine's video memory or is 32 MB enough?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.