The 2001 version loads GAMEDATA & MENUDATA folders if an emtpy, valid LEGO.JAM file is present

Iran

^^^^^^^^^^^

The 2001 version loads GAMEDATA & MENUDATA folders if an emtpy, valid LEGO.JAM file is present

Make sure the LEGO.JAM file is a valid file else it gives you an error messagebox. Seems like the game first loads LEGO.JAM and then loads any missing resources from the GAMEDATA & MENUDATA folder if they aren't inside LEGO.JAM

MODERATOR EDIT - Here's an empty LEGO.JAM file ready for you to download and use, courtesy of Xiron:

http://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/lego-racers-1/lego-racers-empty-jam-r191/

Alternate link (same file, just on the old file hosting part of the site):

http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/349

Just putting this in the OP so people can find it easier.

mumboking

I can't be bothered to actually check this, but that sounds cool. What made you try doing that?

I personally just use the 1999 version and remove the SafeDisc protection from it.

Also

the 1999 release isn't able to play with the 2001 GAMEDATA & MENUFOLDER if you remove LEGO.JAM (works with 1999 LEGO.JAM and 2001 GAMEDATA/MENUDATA combined though)
if you then overwrite the GAMEDATA & MENUDATA folders with the 1999 folder (so overwritting files over the 2001 folders) it works

2001 release will play with empty (but valid) lego.jam file + 2001 GAMEDATA & MENUDATA folders
but wont work with
2001 release wont play with empty (but valid) lego.jam file + 1999 GAMEDATA & MENUDATA folders

Using the 2001 GAMEDATA folder with the 1999 exe works. 

Same with using the 1999 GAMEDATA folder with the 2001 exe.

The issue seems to be the MENUDATA folder.

Fluffy Cupcake

Not 100% sure what, but these are all the files that have different sizes between the two versions. We can't check date modified, so this will have to do.

/C_Award4/Lose.cdb

/C_Award4/Lose.wdb

/Circuit1/Cir1-01.ceb

/Circuit2/Test.ceb

/Circuit3/Cir3-01.cev

/Circuit3/AllSRFLanguageFiles

/Circuit6/Finnish.srf
/Circuit7/
AllSRFLanguageFiles

/Circuit7/FR.ceb

/Credits/AllSRFLanguageFiles

/PieceDB/Lpiecehi.leb

/WinCar/SomeSRFLanguageFiles

/WinCar/WinCar.ceb

/WinRRCar/Finnish.srf

CircRace.mib
DrvrLice.mib
EditDrvr.mib
Garage.mib
MenuName.srf
PickLang.mib
SingRace.mib

Language Folders:

/Danish/Circuit.srf

/Danish/MenuText.srf

/Dutch/MenuText.srf

/English/MenuText.srf

/Finnish/CarBuild.srf

/Finnish/Circuit.srf

/Finnish/MenuText.srf

/French/MenuText.srf

/German/Drivers.srf

/German/MenuText.srf

/Italian/Drivers.srf

/Italian/MenuText.srf

/Norwegi/Drivers.srf

/Norwegi/MenuText.srf

/Spanish/MenuText.srf

/Swedish/FrontMenu.bmp

/Swedish/GFonts.fdb

/Swedish/MenuText.srf

• lol username pinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

A rather old bump but I just tested this with the fake .JAM file Xir posted and I was able to get the 2001 version to behave like the 99 version and load the modded high res texture files made for Knightmare-Athon.

That and the full screen main menu and cutscenes also worked. The only thing not behaving like the 99 version are the super sensitive controls, so I'll still be getting a genuine 99 copy at some point.

piotr_garschin

Hey, if I made a mod with my 2001 version and shared only LEGO.JAM file, will it work to anyone who has 1999 version and replaces the JAM files?

piotr_garschin
On 10.03.2018 at 6:01 PM, Terrev said:

Not sure. There's some differences between the contents of the file I don't know how the game would react to. Best to share only the files you changed.

Thanks. You were right. I copied 2001 JAM to 1999 game and it crashed. Then I just replaced edited files and made JAM again, copied it into 1999 game folder and it works :). So, if I want to share full JAM file (for the users who can't manage with JAM Extractor), I have to share 2 versions of JAM files - for 1999 owners and for 2001 owners.

@grappigegovert I'm flattered you suggested that, but no, please don't use PatchIt. Ever. :P That is the biggest wad of clump I've ever written and I beg you to never think of it ever again. :P I technically do have an experimental project on GitHub that is what PatchIt should have been that may be of more use. I'll have to write up a post soon (been meaning to for ages).

• Haha 2

piotr_garschin

OK, I will not download it :). I just created a ready JAM file to 1999 version (I did polish language mod) but I have to complete the full game to test it. I noticed for example that "Congratulations! You have won ... car set!" phrase must be placed in 2 lines of text in 1999 version while in 2001 version it can be 3 lines of text.

When releasing a mod, you don't upload your JAM. You only release the changed files. Do this by creating the folder structure it lives on (eg, GAMEDATA/Languages/English), putting your changed files there, zipping the whole thing, then uploading the zip. :) Legally and per forum rules, you can't share a complete JAM. If someone can't use the JAM extraction, that's their problem and have to solve that on their own.

piotr_garschin

So, is modding actually legal :)?

I am newbie in modding and when I was creating polish language mod, I thought about all these normal LR users from Poland who want to play the game in their (our) language. I thought that sharing full JAM file wasn't illegal as you can't play the game when you have only this file without the rest. I didn't want to be unfair by sharing the JAM file :/. Of course I will not post it on this forum.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.